Help Me Document The Melvira Method!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 4 Mar 2016 , 4:50am by -K8memphis

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 6:35pm
post #61 of 152

Oh no, Mimi, that stinks! And puglady, I don't know why I didn't get the message that you had posted on this thread, I'm sorry if it seemed like I wasn't here for you!! I'll start with Puglady's questions...

A crusting BC is essentially a buttercream that will get dry on the outside after you ice the cake. I believe it's the meringue powder that does it... at least I think it is! A good example would be the Wilton Class BC. It is a crusting icing. There are lots of good recipes on this site as well. I think the types that don't crust are like IMBC, but I have never used it, so I could be wrong! And yes, the foam roller package should say high density!

Now, Mimi, the brand I use is called 'Quick Solutions', but I think Rubbermaid might make one too. It is in the regular paint section, usually near the full size rollers. But it's just a smaller roller with foam heads instead of the fluffy stuff you use on the wall. I believe they may be technically considered 'trimmers'. The thread I started called "I share because I care" has a picture in it that might help you! Perhaps you can print it out and take it to them!

Good luck to you both!

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:10pm
post #62 of 152

I was so excited to try this technique! I got my roller at Ace Hardware and got some extra heads to have on hand. I made a babyshower cake and used them - so cool. My DH saw me using the roller and asked where I learned the secret I said CC and he just rolled his eyes and said I have lost my wife to CC - I had to laugh this site is so truly addictive. Thanks Melvira for sharing such an awsome technique.
Rebecca

Melvira Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:42pm
post #63 of 152

Ah, Rebecca, he's just jealous! He wishes he had a place like this to learn all the little tricks to his favorite hobbies, etc!! We are SO lucky!! icon_wink.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #64 of 152

I want to thank you again, Melvira. I used this technique on my horseshoe cake this weekend and it came out so smooth. I have always had a hard time smoothing the inside of the horseshoe and this worked so well.

Anything that makes my life easier is appreciated!!!

Diane

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:56pm
post #65 of 152

Thank you for introducing this to us all - it has now become my fav! Even my thick peanut butter cup icing looks 100% better!!!!! The time you've saved me is priceless!!!

Happy Holidays!!!!

Melvira Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 11:38pm
post #66 of 152

You are all so welcome! I am so pleased to hear how well it's working! Keep up those gorgeous cakes!!

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 2:45pm
post #67 of 152

going to buy a roller this weekend!!!!!!!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 3:34pm
post #68 of 152

Yeeey me too!!! OK, so just to make sure I understood everything, it should say HIGH DENSITY on the package right? And it must be foam, right? Just want to make sure before I go shopping, thanks!

Ohhh and you know... I have an idea, we should have a link here at CC for a Support Group for DH, Fiancees, Partners, etc, who have lost their loved ones to CC!! icon_razz.gificon_eek.gificon_razz.gif

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 3:49pm
post #69 of 152

I have used those rollers a million times and never thought to use it that way!!!!! Thanks so much for the tip!!!!!!

Melvira Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 3:59pm
post #70 of 152

Yes, it definitely needs to be foam, and it SHOULD say high-density ont he package. Now that I've said that you will run across the ONE brand that won't! icon_wink.gif Good luck, I hope you'll like this technique!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 7:35pm
post #71 of 152

hahah i read through all five pages of this post..seeing if my question would be asked: does it say high density on the package? ahahah

i hope to go today to home depot and pick one up..i have a cake due on sunday! yay and thanks!!

Melvira Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 5:27am
post #72 of 152

Isn't it always AFTER you've read through 20 pages that you find what you need on page 21!?!?!?! Life is funny that way! But at least you did find it! icon_wink.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 5:34am
post #73 of 152

Hey Melvira..I am glad you are around again...haven't seen you for a few weeks around CC!!! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 5:45am
post #74 of 152

Oh, I've been here Jane... accusing people of using their rear ends as dinner plates and whining about single word photo gallery entries. icon_wink.gif You just haven't seen the right threads apparently!! hahaha! It's nice to know I've been missed though! Makes me feel good!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 6:08am
post #75 of 152

Melvira-

I've used this great technique on what most people would consider a non-crusting buttercream. My powdered sugar buttercream is made with all butter (no shortening) and no meringue powder, so it doesn't crust in the same way that a typical crusting buttercream recipe might (though it does dry a little bit on the surface eventually.
Anyway, the roller technique worked really well. All I had to do was put the cake in the fridge for about 5 minutes first to firm up the icing.

I also use IMBC from time to time. The roller wouldn't work on this kind of icing when soft--it would stick quite badly--but I bet it would work once the icing has hardened in the fridge. This icing smooths quite well anyway, but every little trick helps! I'll have to try it next time I make an IMBC cake. I'll let you know!

nefgaby Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 4:49pm
post #76 of 152

Thanks Melvira!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 8:26pm
post #77 of 152

HollyPJ that is FANTASTIC to hear!! There are a lot of people that use non-crusting BC who want to try this but I usually advise against it. I will be changing my story!! Thanks for your two cents... I appreciate that!

onceuponacake Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:33am
post #78 of 152

well i used it today!! Love it!! will post pics of how it looked with hot spatula and then with roller methos

nefgaby Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:47am
post #79 of 152

Hi... I can't find a HIGH DENSITY foam roller! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Went to Lowe's and to Walmart and NOTHING! I will go to Target and Home Depot tomorrow, wish me luck!!
Oh yeah, and it is a ZOO out there, people Christmas shopping and there I am, looking for my roller.... icon_rolleyes.gif

nefgaby Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 1:52am
post #80 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

well i used it today!! Love it!! will post pics of how it looked with hot spatula and then with roller methos

OMG, just saw your pics, what a difference!!! Can't wait to find my roller!

onceuponacake Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 2:00am
post #81 of 152

thanks!! i got the roller at home depot...it wasn't quick solutions... but it did say high density the guy also said high capacity was the same as high density just in case you dont see high density...remember is dense foam

nefgaby Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 2:04am
post #82 of 152

Thanks OnceUponaCake!! Will got to HD tomorrow!!

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 2:50am
post #83 of 152

After reading this post I CAN'T WAIT to do my next cake!!! I am out of town to be with family for the holidays and I don't have any of my cake stuff with me icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I will get to a Home Depot ASAP armed and ready to buy the perfect foam roller. I was even considering throwing in the towel because I didn't feel like I was getting the hang of this "cake thing." I think I will stick with it and see what this does for me. I just hated to look at my cake with decent decorations but an unsmooth "canvas." Thank you SO much!!!

Melvira Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 3:04am
post #84 of 152

Maybe this will be exactly what you need for that smooth canvas! I am crossing my fingers that it is!! Good luck everyone, and happy holidays!

nefgaby Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 6:18pm
post #85 of 152

Hi, I just want to add that the roller was nowhere to be found at Walmart or Lowe's, ONLY at Home Depot!! Love my new roller and can't wait to use it!

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:55pm
post #86 of 152

birthday.gif Bump birthday.gif

Thanks for the great idea!!! thumbs_up.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 3:04am
post #87 of 152

Cool!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:20am
post #88 of 152

I can't wit to try this also. might be just the ticket for those wedding cakes I have to do this spring! My first ones!

missy77510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy77510 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:01am
post #89 of 152

What a great idea. I am so excited about trying this because in my wilton class the instructor told us to get a little sray bottle and put water in it then wait til the buttercream crusts and spay it lightly then use a spatula and lightly run it over the cake to take the water off, and it takes out most of the wrinkles and cracks, but a problem I found with this is when i do it on colored icing it changes the color a bit. Thanks For the new tip!!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 9:23am
post #90 of 152

I LOVE YOU, MELVIRA!!!! This is the greatest! Thanks soooooooooooooo much for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%