Help Me Document The Melvira Method!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 4 Mar 2016 , 4:50am by -K8memphis

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:02pm
post #91 of 152

I tried this for the first time last night - on a LIGHTLY crusting buttercream that is difficult to smooth. Melvira, you should have kept this to yourself until you could patent and sell special cake smoothers! This is a marvelous technique!

Thank you for sharing it.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:44pm
post #92 of 152

Dang... I could've been rich by now!! icon_sad.gif I guess I'll have to settle for the inner glow that comes from helping people achieve prettier cakes. Hey... you can't spend it, but it sure feels good! icon_wink.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:51pm
post #93 of 152

Shucks, this is the last day I am home before I return to work... I am going to the store to purchase one and giving it a whirl ~ my co-workers can eat the product tomorrow.

What a wonderful thing to share Melvira! I would still work on a patent for the "official" Melvira tool. I think there are a lot of people who would still buy it. I would and there isn't a thing in the cake decorating aisles now ~ and as many of us CC'ers there are, there are still some people who are "in the dark" lol, and not here... I say go for it. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:53pm
post #94 of 152

Thanks Valerie!! I have been working on the idea of patenting a few of my ideas and selling them. If you think the roller is the only trick up my sleeve... icon_twisted.gif

Bless you all for your positive reinforcement!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:41am
post #95 of 152

Can this method be used on fondant?

Melvira Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:39pm
post #96 of 152

It absolutely can!! You can use it to smooth the icing first so you have a nice smooth surface for the fondant, then after you apply the fondant you can use the roller to smooth it as well! It's very versatile!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:46pm
post #97 of 152

Tried this for the first time the other day (my friend's birthday cake). What I think I did wrong was put the cake in the fridge to let the buttercream crust... then let it come to room temperature....caused soft spots that the (barely damp) sponge roller picked up. Is it better just to let the buttercream crust at room temperature? Must say, some spots did come out alot smoother than when I use a spatula. Like any other technique, I need practice!

deb

Melvira Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:54pm
post #98 of 152

Yes, you just need to let the icing crust at room temp for 10-15 minutes depending on humidity. Someone else informed me that you can use non-crusting buttercream if you put it in the fridge for a little while, but I have not tried that. (I really am going to!!) I always recommend that for the best results you use crusting BC and let it sit at room temp uncovered to crust before rolling or the tacky icing will stick to the roller. I am sure if you try that you will be much happier with your results. The good part about this method is that there isn't a huge learning curve. Good luck!!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:36pm
post #99 of 152

Melvira---You are a genius!!!!!! I finally went out and bought the roller at Home Depot last weekend. My husband and I spent 10 minutes making sure we had the right one.
I used it on my 1st paid cake (for my best friend!) and it was AWSOME!! My husband said, "why did you wait so long to buy that thing, the cake looks perfect!".
I wouldn't go that far, but it took a so-so iced cake and turned it into something I can actually be proud of. I was almost ready to give up on making this a hobby-business while I am a SAHM but now there is hope for my cakes!!!
THANKS SO MUCH!!

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:48pm
post #100 of 152

I will definitely have to go buy a couple and do this technique...thanks Melvira

Melvira Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:08am
post #101 of 152

korensmommy, that is wonderful! I am so happy to hear of your success! Keep up the great (and funny!!) cakes! icon_wink.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:56pm
post #102 of 152

IT WORKS! IT'S FAST AND EASY. I WAS IN AWE AS TO HOW FAST IT WAS.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:28am
post #103 of 152

I bought my rollers today!! Can't wait to try the Melvira Method!!

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:37am
post #104 of 152

The roller works so well! Thanks icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:54am
post #105 of 152

Used your method again, this time let the icing crust at room temperature - and I finally got the hang of this - definitely need a light touch doing this, but was so pleased with the results (my christening cake). Thanks again Melvira! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:15am
post #106 of 152

MomLittr... I am SO glad to hear that it worked out for you!! That makes me so happy!! Great job!

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:11am
post #107 of 152

This technique sounds amazing!!! So could I seriously say goodbye to the hotwater and spatula method for smoothing cakes? Do you have before and after pictures that you could send me? From your instructions it looks like those images were missing.

Thanks Melvira!

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #108 of 152

Can't wait to try the Melvira Method!!
DH already got me the roller! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:18am
post #109 of 152

Hey Ang... there is now a link to the method on the CC home page, if you scroll down it's under the new articles list. It is complete with pictures, etc. so you should have all the info you need! Let me know if you need any additional help! icon_wink.gif And yes, you may be able to say goodbye to all those other methods! I know I have!

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:23am
post #110 of 152

Melvira sorry to ask such a .... question , but when you said to better use a Crusting Buttercream, what do you mean?
I just use the Wilton BC recipe. Is there something diferent for a Crusting one?

Melvira Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:34am
post #111 of 152

Biviana, I am happy to answer your question!! The Wilton recipe (if you are using the one with meringue powder) IS a crusting recipe! It just means that if you leave it uncovered for 10 minutes the outside of the icing will become dry to the touch... it forms a slight 'crust'.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:40am
post #112 of 152

I hardly ever use the meringue powder in my buttercream and it does just fine with the roller. I made a three tiered cake today and it was smooth as a baby's behind. I thank you so much Melvira for coming up with this hint. It has helped me with my cakes more than any other hint anyone has given me.

The one I did today was the biggest challenge I have had so far as I don't do much decorating. I used the Wilton 3 tiered stand so I didn't have to stack it but I was still proud of my results. Will try to post a picture when I have time to figure out how.

Had a cyberfriend ask me how I got it so smooth so I emailed her the link to this forum.

Thanks again.

Diane

Melvira Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:49am
post #113 of 152

Diane, thanks for that feedback on the non-crusting BC!! I have not done it personally, so I am always nervous to tell people that it works, but if you've had success doing it, that's good enough for me. I did revise my instructions to say that it will work with non-crusting if you put it in the fridge for a bit because a few people have told me that. I know I should test it myself though, just say I can say I have done it! Thanks again!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:20am
post #114 of 152

Hi Melvira!
That tutorial looks great. Wonderful job!

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:37am
post #115 of 152

Thanks for the info Melvira. Can this method also be used for multiple colours on the surface? I have to make a cake of the Jamaican flag and was thinking it would look great if all the colours were smooth in buttercream instead of just doing stars.
LL

Melvira Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:28pm
post #116 of 152

You should be able to use it on different colors as long as it has crusted. I would suggest that you smear a little on some waxed paper and test that theory before you accidentally mess up a cake!! Let me know how it goes, I'd love to be sure about it!

tiffy76620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy76620 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 7:07pm
post #117 of 152

Melvira!!!! Your method rocks!!!! I recommend it 110%!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 7:38pm
post #118 of 152

Thanks so much for this great method! Can't wait to try it!

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:23am
post #119 of 152

Could you please post the recipe for icing you use with this roller method. It would be greatly appreicated & so convenient if it were in this thread with the directions for smoothing the icing. Thank you.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:26am
post #120 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom

Could you please post the recipe for icing you use with this roller method. It would be greatly appreicated & so convenient if it were in this thread with the directions for smoothing the icing. Thank you.

Any buttercream icing that crusts will work with this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%