Wish Me Luck!

Decorating By melli_fera Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm by gailjoe

melli_fera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melli_fera Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 13

I made my own MMF last night (first time) and plan on using it tonight. I have no clue if I kneaded it to the consistency it was supposed to be so I'm nervous that it isn't going to roll well. Checked on it today, and it seems to be firmer after sitting over night...so we shall see!!! (and yes, it IS so much tastier than the store bought nasty kind!!)

12 replies
lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 13

I've never been brave enough to try it, so congrats on making your own I hope it goes well for you icon_smile.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 13

Oh, you are gonna love it. As for the consistency, it should be like Playdoh.......just edible.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 13

If it seems too stiff you can pop it in the microwave (10 seconds at a time) to soften up. You'll want to knead it a little more before you roll it and heat it slowly because the inside melts before the outside.

melli_fera Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 13

It was kinda play doh-ish.. I thought it should have been more elastic though... it's wrapped up tight on my counter. I'm anxious to try it out (luckily it's not a paid job I'm doing).

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 13

I hope that all goes well for you. icon_biggrin.gif MMF is my favorite thing to work with so I am sure that you will love it. I find it easier to fix my mistakes. icon_wink.gif Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 13

I agree - MMF is MUCH, MUCH easier to work with...and too easy to make not to use it all the time. It takes me about 15 minutes total to make a batch....that includes getting materials together, melting marshmallows, kneading, wrapping and cleaning up. Not too shabby. Good luck to you!!!!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 13

Good luck! I've used MMF several times, and I always seem to make it too dry, but I still like working with it.
Happy decorating!
Erin

Kiki97np Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki97np Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 13

Good luck! It really does taste better than store bought icon_smile.gif As an earlier poster suggested, microwaving for a few seconds helps make rolling easier. I also use crisco to prevent sticking, rather than conf sugar, b/c it doesn't make the fondant "tougher" or leave white marks (if the fondant is colored).

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Oh, you are gonna love it. As for the consistency, it should be like Playdoh.......just edible.

just a heads up...the more you pop it in the microwave, the more you are cooking it, and it will become hard to work with.

melli_fera Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 13

thanks for all the tips! I'm getting out of work early today and can't wait to get home to start putting it all together!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 13

can any of you tell me what one batch of mmf covers?? what size cake pan?? and would that be a single cake or double??? does this make sense....i am ashamed to say i have only ever worked with the wilton fondant...but reading and hearing all the posts on here about how gross the wilton brand is....i am going to try making my own this weekend!!!! and i just want to know how much i should make for a 10' x 3' round!!!! any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!

gailjoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailjoe Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 13

good luck with your fondant. did you make the mmf from the recipe section here on cc? i'm new to fondant and trying to get my nerve up to work with it. i'm sure you'll do a great job. gail

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%