Oh My Gosh I Am Going To Cry- Can I Salvage This?

Decorating By jbmommy Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 1:01am by ShirleyW

jbmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbmommy Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:24am
post #1 of 16

I made white chocolate gananche tonight and it is YELLOW. I have pure white fondant and now yellow gananche

Is there anything I can add to the the ganache to make it whiter?

Brandy

15 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:29am
post #2 of 16

Here is a bump, I have no idea what to tell you about this, but maybe someone else can help. Were you planning to use the ganache under the fondant? If so, the color won't really matter, I wouldn't think.

Cindy

jbmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbmommy Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:32am
post #3 of 16

No, it is for the cupcakes. So the cupcakes will be yellow and the cake with them will be white. I am thinking about scrapping the whole thing and just making dark chocolate gananche

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:41am
post #4 of 16

oh no. i have only ever made chocolate ganache. let us know what happens?!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:51am
post #5 of 16

I think you may have to go with the chocolate. The only think I can think is that your white chocolate was not truly white. You can always save it and use it for something else.

Cindy

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:52am
post #6 of 16

Never made white ganache before. Can you add colouring to it? If so, try adding the Americolour Bright White to see if it works. Just my 2 cents worth.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:05am
post #7 of 16

there was a tip on here awhile ago about adding a little bit of violet to buttercream icing to get a white white. I don't know if it will work with ganache but maybe if you put a little bit in a bowl and tried it. Just use a little tiny bit of the violet.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 8:01am
post #8 of 16

I have noticed that if you use white chocolate chips, or the white almond bark, that it is not white, it is off white and sometimes has a yellowish tinge. You might try the bright white but can't say if that will help.Maybe a little more cream might help also.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 8:11am
post #9 of 16

Could you colour it to match some of the decorations you may have on the cake and perhaps have white decorations on your cupcakes. Just a suggestion. Good Luck.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 8:13am
post #10 of 16

How about adding a little yellow to the fondant/ It will taste great so just relax.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayShay

there was a tip on here awhile ago about adding a little bit of violet to buttercream icing to get a white white. I don't know if it will work with ganache but maybe if you put a little bit in a bowl and tried it. Just use a little tiny bit of the violet.

I've heard of this same thing!! they say only add a smidgen... don't add too much!!

good luck

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 16

Real white "chocolate" is always going to be a little yellow because of the cocoa butter content. I don't know if you were able to use what you had, but next time try using either white candy melts or vanilla coating that you can find in the grocery store. Sorry!

Amber

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 16

I have used the Wilton version of the Bright white and that works well. I have also seen a thread somewhere on here about violet canceling yellow and another post that someone tried it and was amazed that it worked. I remember the thread saying to use just a teeny bit of violet at a time and work your way up. Hope that helps!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 16

I agree with adding "just a touch" of the violet. The other possibility is to add the whitener that you add to buttercream. Try it in just a little bit and see if it works before trying the whole bunch. I know that the whitener works in fondant. I've used it when I got the color a bit too dark and had to lighten it up a bit.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 16

Just be careful about adding colors to chocolate it can make it seize! You should use candy colors if you are going to add more than the tip of a toothpick 'bumped' into the color. But that was my first thought though... the violet color or the white/white.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:01am
post #16 of 16

Sorry but your ganache is going to be as yellow as the white chocolate you use. Really good white chocolate leans more towards the yellow shade. I do buy a great tasting white chocolate compound made by Guittards that is whiter, but still not snow white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%