Where Can I Find A Clay Extruder That Makes

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 7:46am by diane

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 29

long thick snakes for these flowers on this cake icon_smile.gif (which by the way I love the cake!!!) I have a smaller clay extruder but it doesn't make these thick ropes. And I'd like to go ahead and order online so if someone could point me in the direction I would be greatly appreciative!

TIA

Christi
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_943263.html

28 replies
sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 29

Just use a cookie press for a long rope, or try with ply dough tools. I have one like syringe, with 4 holes and that's the tool I use a lot.

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 29

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm looking for a clay extruder too. I saw this one at Michael's for $40.00 (CDN). Does anyone have it, or know if it works well? Thanks!

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0586&channelid=

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 29

Here ya go. This one RULES: http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/ultimate.htm

It's $30 at Michaels (comes with a hard plastic case) and $25 at Hobby Lobby (no hard plastic case).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! And you don't have to thin down your fondant to use it!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 29

I have that one also. I will say that it is very easy to use even for an amateur like me.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 29

Thank you guys!!!! I love the Makins clay extruder!!! Next time I'm in the city Im getting one THANK YOU BIG OLE BUNCHES icon_smile.gif

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 29

Thanks for your help! I'm going to go buy it!

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 29

I must be doing something wrong because I got the $30 one from Michaels and I couldn't get it to work. The fondant got stuck and I had a hard time getting it out. Does anyone have other ideas?

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 29

Rexy, Did you ut a little Crisco with your fondant or gumpaste before attempting to squish it through the extruder? I get mine pretty squishy and it comes out easy!

Christi, I made the cake in the picture and I used my "cheap" extruder from Hobby Lobby ($6) it came with the larger diameter circle discs. HTH

Elle

Cakepro Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy

I must be doing something wrong because I got the $30 one from Michaels and I couldn't get it to work. The fondant got stuck and I had a hard time getting it out. Does anyone have other ideas?

When you roll the fondant into the sausage shape to put inside the extruder, have a little crisco on your hands to lube the outside of the fondant sausage. icon_eek.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gif Sounds weird, but it works.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 29

Cakepro, you are too funny!!!

I also do that, I don't have that same extruder, I have the sugarcraft clay gun, red and black, I got it from beryls.com Anyway, I also wanted to add that it sometimes does not work with MMF, I found the best results with either gumpaste or satin ice, I guess it has some to do with texture!
HTH and good luck! I also can't wait to make that cake, it is sooooo cute!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 29

I love the cake in your avatar cakepro!!! Absolutely stunning!! The shine just makes it pop!!! (sorry off the subject!)

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakali

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm looking for a clay extruder too. I saw this one at Michael's for $40.00 (CDN). Does anyone have it, or know if it works well? Thanks!

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0586&channelid=

You know I've purchased some of the little cutters that they have in this line. They're such fun shapes! I also wondered if that extruder would work well. I hope someone has used it.

Oops, I guess I didn't read far enough, you guys do like it. I'm going to pick it up the next time Michael's has a good coupon or sale!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 29

nefgaby does the sugarcraft gun come with many round discs? And if so are they a larger size?

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #15 of 29

I bought a small one at JoAnn's Fabrick store for $6.00. It works for what I wanted it for, but I would like a larger one also.

Cakepro Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I love the cake in your avatar cakepro!!! Absolutely stunning!! The shine just makes it pop!!! (sorry off the subject!)

Thanks, Christi! Since I started buying Super Pearl in bulk, I put it on everything! That Preval Sprayer makes short work of super-pearling entire cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

RRGibson, I looked at the cutters last week - especially the butterfly cutters. There's a local cake shop that has some beautiful little butterfly cutters - for THIRTY BUCKS!! The Makins cutters look like the same darn things, for a few dollars. This same cake shop carries the Sugarcraft gun for 60 bucks. Yikes!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:28pm
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

nefgaby does the sugarcraft gun come with many round discs? And if so are they a larger size?

Yep, I believe it comes with 11 or 12 discs (could be more... I'm gonna go count them icon_confused.gif ) and it comes with 2 discs with a single hole, and one of them is pretty big, I think would be perfect for those cute flowers. HTH

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 29

I have the makins one from Michaels too and I use it on almost every cake! I've never had problems with fondant sticking in it or anything, but I don't think I've tried MMF in it. I use mainly satic ice, gp, and modeling chocolate also extrudes really easily. I still want the sugarcraft one though!! I want one that I can use with one hand so I can extrude directly onto a cake.

Cakepro- WOW! That pricing is ridiculous! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I get irritated when places do that. Mostly of us check around at stores and online before we buy things and obviously would notice the HUGE difference in price! icon_mad.gif

Courtney

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Here ya go. This one RULES: http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/ultimate.htm

It's $30 at Michaels (comes with a hard plastic case) and $25 at Hobby Lobby (no hard plastic case).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! And you don't have to thin down your fondant to use it!

That's the one I used for my version of this cake as well. I lube the tube with crisco before loading my modeling paste. I had much more luck with a nice smooth rope using premade fondant than with my homemade, but I think that batch of homemade had a glitch. I love the extruder. Its really easy to use b/c you crank it rather than squeeze. I think you get a fair amount of fondant loaded as well. I definately recommend it and with a 40% off coupon, who can beat it???

wgoat5 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:52am
post #20 of 29

well good deal does anybody know when Michaels will have another coupon out? icon_biggrin.gif

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:08am
post #21 of 29

how do you get the coupons? Is the regular makin clay gun just as good?

alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:27am
post #22 of 29

michaels usually puts a coupon in the sunday newspaper. They usually put one for the the current week and one for the following week. Locally for me, there was probably one in today's paper. I have asked all my friends and family to clip them for me and send them my way b/c I don't get the paper.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:29am
post #23 of 29

I've been wanting to get a good extruder too... I have the cheap-o from Michaels and it sucks. Does that Makins one hold much? It looks as small as the cheap one, but that could just be the pic. I want one that will hold a little so I don't have to reload every inch!! icon_wink.gif (Lazy much? hahaha!)

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:35am
post #24 of 29

thanks for starting this thread. i have been looking at the one at micheals and i just got a coupon today so tomorrow i will be going a picking it up...yea!

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:47am
post #25 of 29

I was just thinking about one of these today! Glad this was posted!!

Cakepro Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:04am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I've been wanting to get a good extruder too... I have the cheap-o from Michaels and it sucks. Does that Makins one hold much? It looks as small as the cheap one, but that could just be the pic. I want one that will hold a little so I don't have to reload every inch!! icon_wink.gif (Lazy much? hahaha!)

It looks small, but it puts out some long ropes. When I use the 5-hole insert, I can take 3 of those ropes, twist them, and am about 3" short of being able to wrap around an 8" round cake. A single hole insert produces a pretty long line.

alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

If you have the "cheap one" I'm thinking of, I think the barrel for this one is at least 1.5 to 2x larger. Of course how much you have to relaod depends on which disk you use. I'd guess with the widest disk you could get 18 to 24 inches of extruded fondant.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:28am
post #28 of 29

Awesome! Sounds like this might be the best bet then!! Thanks!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:46am
post #29 of 29

the playdough factory can do those. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%