My Triumph Over The Loopy Bow..

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 10:40am by Verina

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 19

After 3 attempts to make ONE bow.. I didn't like the thickness on the first one and I baked the pieces of the second one.. I finally got it semi-right. I still have work to do on getting it all perfect.. but this one didn't look 1/2 bad for a first (sort of) timer.. icon_wink.gif

Made for the 16th birthday of a friend's triplet (yeah you read that right) girls... the gumpaste loopy bow and fondant balls cake from H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks...
LL

18 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 19

You did a GREAT job the cake is smooth , bow is lovely and those balls are so perfect. Ok speaking of those balls, I'm doing a fall wedding cake in Oct. She wants those balls around her cake bronze in color with real mums cascading down the side with some sticks intwined. How did you do those balls? All fondant or 50/50 fondant and gumpaste? Anyone have an idea on how to get bronze colored balls? Thanks to all................

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 19

wow the loops are soo thin, excellent job!!!!

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 19

Very nice! I still have not done one yet.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 19

Congrats on your triumph!! It looks great! I just love how smooth you got your icing and how nice and crisp the edge is between the top and side!!

FromScratch Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 19

I made them out of all fondant.. after 1/2 a day they were still very soft. If you want them to harden up I'd do 50/50 or add some gumtex to your fondant. I made them by just rolling pieces of colored fondant (I use Fondex) in my hand. You can buy bronze luster dust to make them bronze.

If you needed them to all be the same size you could roll out a snake of fondant and then cut equal sized pieces and roll them.. then just paint them with the luster dust that has been diluted with vodka (that's what I use anyway). icon_biggrin.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 19

Oh I think it is great! Like the idea of different colors for the loops. now come over here, and teach me!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 19

congratulations - your bow looks great, I have made 3 now and have yet to get one that I like. I always run into the problem when it is time to put it together, it just never looks right icon_sad.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 19

Nice job! I love the thinness of the bowloops. Pretty cake!

Sherri

FromScratch Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 19

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not make the loops too long. I rolled out the gumpaste and cut it into 5" long strips that were the same width as a standard ruler. The loops them selves were no more than 3 inches long when they were pinched off. I made the first loops too long and too thick and it looked bad because you can't get the loops nice and snug together.

Thank you for all the kind comments.. icon_redface.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 19

Do you put the luster dust on after they harden? Or do you mix it in when you roll it?

FromScratch Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 19

I dusted it on very lightly after they dried.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 19

Excellent job on that bow! The loops are wonderfully thin and delicate looking!

Wow - triplets, eh? I guess it's kind of fitting that it took you three times to get the bow right! Thank goodness it wasn't quints! You'd have made five of 'em! icon_razz.gif

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:29pm
post #14 of 19

Great job! Don't worry they get easier and easier!!! I Promise! My first bow was a disaster! Personally I think a fan brush is the easiest way to apply the dust onto the bow.

Congrats! Love the cake also!

rsdd108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsdd108 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:35pm
post #15 of 19

Excellent job! Not only are the bow and balls beautiful, but your cake is so amazingly SMOOTH! I'm sure they'll love it!

FromScratch Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you all so much for all the nice things you have said about my bow and icing job. My husband thought it was fondant.. I love him and his ego strokes.. icon_lol.gif . Of course all I saw was the couple of tiny places where it wasn't 100% perfect..

FromScratch Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:45am
post #17 of 19

I just got an e-mail saying how they loved their cake so much.. that's such a good feeling and a big part of why this is so addicting..

Thanks again for all of your kind words and for all the advice I have recieves from so many of you!

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 19

that is brilliant, what a great bow. i love the colours icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:40am
post #19 of 19

Good on you. Looks great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%