Covering A Large Cake Board

Decorating By fbgirl00 Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 7:41pm by kembury

fbgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbgirl00 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 12

I have large sheet cake due Saturday, (2 1/2 11X15 double layer). I am debating on what to cover the cake board with, I actually have a large heavy mirror that I am going to use for the cake board. Any suggestions? This is a paid cake and would like the board to look nice. Thanks.

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 12

I would not recommend a heavy mirror for what will be a heavy cake. The risk increases with such a heavy cake.

I would use double layer of foamcore covered with something.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 12

What about covering foam board in foil or press and seal, then use thinned down RI in a colour to compliment your cake. You can even swirl other colours into it for a marbled effect if you like.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:35am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbgirl00

I have large sheet cake due Saturday, (2 1/2 11X15 double layer). I am debating on what to cover the cake board with, I actually have a large heavy mirror that I am going to use for the cake board. Any suggestions? This is a paid cake and would like the board to look nice. Thanks.

I have a cake the same size due on Friday. I covered one cake board using gift paper and food safe contact paper. Then hot glued the covered cake board back to back with another cake board. And I covered the seam between them with ribbon.
LL
LL

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:39am
post #5 of 12

the paper is a really cute idea

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 12

the paper is a cute idea....but won't they cut threw it or won't it like rip when they go to cut they cake?....this is a really good topic, as i have a 1/2 sheet due next friday and was wondering what i could use for more support for the cake, as the people who ordered the cake will be traveling a 1/2 hour to an hour with it in there vehicle....i was thinking about getting smooth faced plywood and then glue a plastic cake board to it, then covering up the outside edge of the plywood with ribbon or something...

fbgirl00 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 12

Cake_Princess, your board looks great! Where do you buy your cake boards? Would sheetrock cut to size and covered be ok to use?

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 12

fbgirl00,

If you really want the mirror, I would recommend just laying it on the final destination table and placing the cake on top. I would not try and carry the cake on the mirror, in case it breaks.

Cake_Princess,

I love the ribbon on your board.

I have two quetions: What do you use for your boards? And is there any reason why you didn't hotglue the two boards together first and then wrap the whole thing?

Just curious.

fbgirl00 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am going to nix the mirror idea and use something else. I'll post picts when I get it done. It's been a long time since I have done a cake of this size!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_SGTs_Lady

the paper is a cute idea....but won't they cut threw it or won't it like rip when they go to cut they cake?....this is a really good topic, as i have a 1/2 sheet due next friday and was wondering what i could use for more support for the cake, as the people who ordered the cake will be traveling a 1/2 hour to an hour with it in there vehicle....i was thinking about getting smooth faced plywood and then glue a plastic cake board to it, then covering up the outside edge of the plywood with ribbon or something...

The food safe contact paper is thick so it is not easily torn (unless the person cutting the cake is doing some heavy duty sawing on the cake).

I am not sure how thick the boards are I should have taken a pic before gluing them together. However once they are glued together they are much stronger. I do this all the time for cakes that size or larger. My Lightening McQueen base cake was 22" x 15" x 4" plus the cake that I carved on top. And my customer had no problems transporting this cake.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 12

I would use 1/2 thick foam core board it is very sturdy but not heavy!

kembury Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kembury Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 12

Where do you get the food safe contact paper from? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%