Decorating By peacockplace Updated 13 Jul 2005 , 5:55pm by Jackie

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 8:24am
post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

I personally found the comments directed at the winner, upsetting. I still find them upsetting.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

I am confused here...I must not be looking in the right place...I dont see comments about the winner. Maybe they were deleted? If so then I am glad they did.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 12:36pm
post #62 of 70

Jackie, you are quite right, I guess because the numbers of stars or average ratings showed up when I voted, I considered them a good way of telling how many votes were cast. Actually I checked them out every day and could see the changes in the star ratings, so though it isn't an exact indication, it must have some bearing on the amount of votes being cast. Obviously an item has to be viewed to be voted on. Since some entries were only viewed 100 times and others, 500 times, this would have a bearing on the number of votes cast.
I think that your probationary term for new members will appease folks that feel that it isn't fair to only post on a site, to enter a contest. It seems to be a good solution.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 5:31pm
post #63 of 70

I've been out of town for a family reunion so I've missed a lot of these posts. I would like to put my opinion in..

1st off, this is how I vote... I view all of the pics. I write down which ones that "I" think should win. I usually pick a top 10. Then I look through the "10" I picked. Then I look again, then I vote on what "I" think are the best. I don't agree w/ voting for every pic.

If you put a cake in a contest you are risking your feelings being hurt, risking low ratings, etc. So when you put a cake in then to me, that means you understand ALL the rules & will agree w/ the outcome of the contest. I think that all this talk about the votings is really silly. (My opinion) Everyone should vote how they want & that be that. I will not vote poor or fair on any cake! Eventhough that might be what I think. Fair is fair. I will look at EVERY cake in the contest before making a decision.

I also do not think Jackie or this site should have to change anything to please the members. Just because a few members didn't think it was fair for the person who won to win doesn't mean things should have been changed like they were (the star ratings). That to me wasn't fair. icon_sad.gif

I would like to also say... I think it is going to be silly as all get out if anyone makes a post saying.... "We weren't arguing, we weren't stepping on toes".... yes, some were! No throwing stones... icon_sad.gif And remember..... WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS.... just play nice~ icon_wink.gif

There are a lot of talented cake decorators on CC. Why not let Jackie make the rules & we just follow them. Yes, we all have opinions... I have for sure! icon_lol.gif I think any opinions should just be addressed to Jackie in a PM & handled that way instead of blowing everything out of porportion. thumbs_up.gif & getting others mad or upset. It's not worth arguing over... the prize is a book for crying out loud! icon_cry.gif

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 10:45pm
post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I also do not think Jackie or this site should have to change anything to please the members. Just because a few members didn't think it was fair for the person who won to win doesn't mean things should have been changed like they were (the star ratings). That to me wasn't fair. icon_sad.gif
Why not let Jackie make the rules & we just follow them.

I cannot agree with this statement. I completely depend on feedback and suggestions from the community members.

Sometimes the direction I want to take the site in, is not necessarily what the community feels is in its best interest. I am always open to new suggestions and ideas, it's true that you can't please all of the people all of the time.....and that's not what I am trying to accomplish. Sometimes I need some help in making decisions on which way to go.

These contests are for you, so if you feel that they are somehow unfair, I want to hear about it. You are the ones that keep this site alive and thriving. So yes, its very important that your voice is heard.

Not everyone is always going to agree with you, and if you do not want to create a public discussion about how you feel about something, you can always private message me.

tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 11:05pm
post #65 of 70

Hey Jackie,

I'm not trying to argue w/ you ok, so please don't think I am. I would really like to know if anyone wanted the posts (stars) changed? I haven't seen anyone make a suggestion about it being changed. I wanted to know if it got changed because of a few people getting mad about the contest entries. That's all. The majority rules but I haven't seen much say on whether or not the whole thing should be changed? I thought the number of votes to be able to enter in a contest were going to be changed not the whole rating thing. I'm just upset that that was changed. To me all that needed to be raised was the amount of votes needed to post a cake in the contests. Not all the ratings. That's the only thing I really felt like commenting about. The entry thing was very much ok w/ me. Being a member for 30 days sounds great. I'm just whinning about my stars being put back a 1,000. That's all. Hopefully I will not say another thing about this. Sorry if I sounded like I was mad about everything~ icon_biggrin.gif

Jackie Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 5:29pm
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Hey Jackie,
I'm not trying to argue w/ you ok, so please don't think I am. I would really like to know if anyone wanted the posts (stars) changed? I haven't seen anyone make a suggestion about it being changed. I wanted to know if it got changed because of a few people getting mad about the contest entries. That's all. icon_biggrin.gif

Hi TC,
I re-organized the rankings to be more evenly spaced, purely from a programmers standpoint. The way they currently were did not make much sense to me. I was not a thought out and planned change on the site. As I said earlier, if I would have know the firestorm it caused I would have made an announcement before making any changes.

tcturtleshell Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:48am
post #67 of 70

No worries Jackie. The firestorm I raised is over & done with. Hope I didn't get you too mad at me. While everyone else was busy arguing over who should enter the contests or not I wanted to voice my opinion about the ranks. So no worries~ I'll just get back in my shell (LOL) & keep low LOL~

Nickie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickie Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:01pm
post #68 of 70

well i can't speak either because i have just recently signed up, but i agree. I think anyone that signs up should share tips etc. and not just show off.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:32pm
post #69 of 70

No one wants to start a fire. It just happens. We all are human. YES I agree that there should be some kind of minimum requirement to enter contests, whether it be number of posts, amount of time you have been here, or whatever. I see that happening and I am all for it.
As for the ranks, Jackie does what she feels is right or fair and such and she does it well. Like someone posted you can't please everyone, and it is hard to except changes, but sometime changes are good and for the better. I agree with Tcturtle it would bother you a little more if you had over a 1000 posts. I have Pm'd Jackie and made a suggestion,and I am anxious to see what she says.
But either way, let's just get back to decorating, and let this drop.

Jackie Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:55pm
post #70 of 70

I am locking this topic. (Which means there can no longer be any replies)

I am locking it because I feel that 5 pages is sufficient enough for everone to have gotten thier 2 cents in, and I am ready to get back to decorating cakes. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%