Mmf

Decorating By FaithsPlace Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 5:47am by bananabread

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 10

Im sure there are a million threads out there on this but, I wanted to ask....what is everyones fav mmf recipe? I am going to practice on this for a event I have in the next couple of weeks and wondered what was your favorite recipe? What works best? I have seen so many wonderful pics of cakes that have been covered in mmf and wondered what kind was used....

Thanks so much!!

9 replies
beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 10

I'm interested in seeing the feedback on this also. Does MMF taste better than the stuff you get from the Wilton box (don't mean to sound ignorant -- I'm a Newbie)? Thanks.

Bev

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 10

There is really not much difference: marshmallows, water and powdered sugar. Adding some shortening can help the texture, but not everyone agrees.

the trick is to know what fondant should feel like, so you don't add too much powdered sugar. Also, it helps to start with a recipe that is only for 1 pound of powdered sugar. A smaller batch is a bit more manageable for the first batch.

cajundecoration Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cajundecoration Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:22am
post #4 of 10

I have been using Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe that I found here on CC. I absolutely LOVE it! It actually tastes like a confection, not something that has been prefabricated like the packaged fondant you buy in the stores. I do suggest adding flavorings other than just vanilla. In the Rhonda's recipe, she refers to the Princess Cookie and Cake Emulsion. It tastes wonderful. I ordered it off of Sugarcraft.com.

I have also substituted the Cookie and Cake Emulsion with Creme Royale and Butavan (also on sugarcraft.com) both of which were also a big hit. The beauty of homemade MMF is that you can tailor the taste to fit the flavor of cake you are making.

I have had some problems using MMF to make fondant roses. It tends to strectch a little too much. Other than that, it's great. I also suggest coloring your marshmallow mixture when you take it out of the microwave, just before adding the powdered sugar. This way, it isn't so messy to color after it is completely mixed.

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #5 of 10

I would suggesto to try the Citric fondand, has a soft lemon flavaor and it excelent to work with. Just use 1 1/2 pounds of sugar, if after the 30 minutos to rest is still soft use more sugar, adding little by little. Tell me is you make it and if you need some help. Grace

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:49am
post #6 of 10

eres fantastica grace

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 10

This is the one I use:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html
I haven't tried any others but I love this recipe and it is easy and yummy!

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 10

I'm a newbie, and I just started using fondant. I made the recipe for Rhonda's Ultimate MMF here on CC as well a couple of days ago, and I just made Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant today (it's setting right now).

I really liked working with the MMF recipe, but it did stretch more then I would have liked but I didn't have anything to compare it to so I thought maybe I just needed to practice more. I tasted really good though (I used lemon extract since that's all I had)...nice citrus flavor and taste!

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #9 of 10

Lemon sounds good! I like to use orange extract in some of my stuff like my B.C. and R.I. it helps improve the taste of R.I. big time!

Hope your fondant turns out good, Im sure it will be great!

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:47am
post #10 of 10

Muchas gracia evieg, pero no se por que? Saludos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%