Can You Cover A Ganache Cake W/ Fondant Or Candy Clay?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 12:47pm by neelycharmed

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 9

Well the whole question is in the title I guess - could you cover a ganache cake w/ fondant or w/ rolled out candy clay? DO you think it would be too much chocolate (I know, - you can never have too much - but sometimes I've experienced "too rich" chocolate and I don't want to go overboard here)

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 9

I think you could, but you would want to guard against the fondant slipping down on the ganache. A thin 'crumb coat' of ganache would help, just enough to adhere the cover, but not so much to promote slipping. Use the ganache more for filling.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 9

Yes you can, I have done it a few times with fondant and once with chocolate plastique (I think this might be similar to candy clay), and I have a friend who is a very experienced cake decorator who uses ganache under fondant all the time. White chocolate ganache is good too. If you are using poured ganache then pour it on the cake and let it cool and firm up a bit before you put on the fondant and make sure you have you fondant positioned correctly before you lower it onto the cake because you can move it a little but the ganache is sticky so if you try to move it a lot or pull it off to reposition it can get messy/problematic (been there done that icon_wink.gif )

keri-girl_xx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keri-girl_xx Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:28am
post #4 of 9

I made a premium choc mud cake 2 days, covered it with dark chocolate ganeshe and then fondant. Its worked for me havent finished cake yet but its for my first decorating comp so it wont really matter if its too rich lol! But as far as looks goes, its hot.

brokenscale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brokenscale Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9

do u need to make a ticker ganache for the fondant? like a 1-1 or does normal 3-1 ganache work?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 9

There is a great (very long) thread regarding this on CC. The first few pages really cover most of the issues.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633264.html

The general recipe for "settings ganache" which is the ganache recommended to use under fondant is 2 parts choc to 1 part cream for semi sweet and dark chocolate. 3 parts choc to 1 part cream for white choc.

I don't work with milk chocolate so I'm not sure how it works. Also white chocolate chips are not chocolate and tend to separate badly when making ganache so be sure and buy actual white chocolateicon_smile.gif That was a mistake I made early on and it was a mess.

utopia84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
utopia84 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 10:08am
post #7 of 9

Hey,

Here in Australia we mainly use ganache under fondant, as there are strict laws regarding buttercream.

The previous post is correct about the recipe being two parts chocolate to one part cream. The way i do it is put th choc chopped up in the microwave, with the cream on top. you melt in 30 second bursts, stirring between and checking for lumps, If there are a couple of lumps let it sit a little and stir, the residual heat often melts the choc.

You then allow this to cool, not so it goes hard, but so it is the consistancy of peanut butter.

You cover the cake with this. You get it smoth as possi;be, then put in the fridge. it goes really firm. using hot water and a palate knife you smooth it out more until it is really smooth. refridgerate again. If you let it set solid the ganache won be sticky at all. you can pretty much run your hands over it.

You then cover with fondant. you can roll the fondant really thin becaus the cake is already so smooth.

It is quite rich, but we tend to use mud cake, so we serve smaller slices. The benefit of ganache is that the cake does not need to be refridgerated once covered. I would actually keep for a few days without being in the fridge (assuming you havn't used a dairy filling)

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:56am
post #8 of 9

I love fondant over ganache cakes, so much easier than fondant over BC. I try to talk all my clients into ganache, either white or chocolate ganache.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 9

I love ganache on anything, but it works great under fondant!
Jodi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%