Member Comments On Pictures

Decorating By vicmic Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 11:10pm by goldenegg

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #31 of 47

I post my pictures to share. I love getting comments even if they are just "cute" because that means someone took the time to say something - if I get no comments I may be a bit disappointed especially if it's one I thought was particularly good but I don't let it get me down.

So many pics are uploaded here that it's hard to see them all let alone comment on them all. Some people may not be posting a comment because of the negative comments regarding what gets posted - maybe all they have time to say is "cute" but don't want to run anyone the wrong way so they say nothing at all. I'm guilty of the "cute" or "good job" if I don't have much time but I feel I should say something. I'd rather it come from the heart then be an afterthought because no one has taken the time or thought it worthy enough for a comment. . .

JMHO
Debbie

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #32 of 47

I only comment if I have something different to say other than what's already been commented on! I haven't even commented on some of my very favorites on this site, just because it had already been said! On the flip side, I love getting comments and favs - they give me a boost - especially from some of you very talented decorators that I admire.

This is a topic that everyone has a different view on and maybe something can be put in on the page where you upload photos, maybe something explaining that there are LOTS of pics uploaded each day and members look at pics for diff reasons, blah blah blah...I am not good at writing these kind of things, but I think you have the idea.

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:39pm
post #33 of 47

Okay! WOW! I am sorry I started such a big thing and no I didn't know it had been hashed out so many times before. I am not looking for anyone to validate me. My cakes are all done for people that mean something to me, they always love them and that is my apprecitaion (no validations). My comments were only to be a simple reminder that sometimes maybe we do need to slow done a little in life and take the time to appreciate others and the things they do. Life is fast enough and the only disappointment I had after posting my pics was that my opinion of this sight kind of changed. I thought it was a helping place, even a "oh that's cute, have you ever tried using blah blah blah instead" would have been nice, but I guess that could get out of hand as well. No I don't expect anyone to comment on EVERY picture they view. Thanks to those that did take the time to comment here and on my pictures. I think I will just stick with my original plan and not post any pictures here, like I said before they are done personally and sharing them with strangers kind of feels wrong, especially now.
Maybe I'll just be a lurker, stealing, I mean borrowing the great ideas of some of the better bakers here. Again sorry for the uproar! Happy baking to all you out there.

Tabbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tabbee Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:00pm
post #34 of 47

I'm kind of surprised at this topic, because, as a newbie, I'm just thrilled that any of you look at my pics. A bit embarassed, too, honestly. But Feel free to laugh...I'm just hoping to use the them to catalog the progress of my skills. I also want to show potential victims of my cake ambushes (eventually customers) what is possible, probable.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmic

... I thought it was a helping place, even a "oh that's cute, have you ever tried using blah blah blah instead" would have been nice, but I guess that could get out of hand as well...

This absolutely IS a helping place, there is NONE better!! But you have to ASK for help! No one will just pop onto one of your pictures and say, "That's nice, but have you learned how to blah, blah, blah, because it would look so much better..." That would start an immediate war! (If you think THIS topic is volatile... whew!!) If you want suggestions, simply ask, and we will flood you with both praise and suggestions!! icon_wink.gif And I don't hate one word comments, in case anyone is now afraid to leave one on my pics. At first I was turned off by them, but over time I have realized that they are just the way that person expresses themselves. So please, don't avoid my gallery because of that!! icon_lol.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:38pm
post #36 of 47

Groundhog's Day. This is the Punxsutawney of CC. icon_lol.gif

Adven, that's a great idea. New people join daily so we're sure to see the same debates each week. Maybe they'll add a "commonly discussed topics" that can include - commenting on pics, scratch vs. mix baking and legal vs. illegal baking. Maybe JanH can put it together? lol

Don't feel bad vicmic, you were only posting your findings. Most here are indeed extremely helpful and so willing to help. icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:50pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Adven, that's a great idea. New people join daily so we're sure to see the same debates each week. Maybe they'll add a "commonly discussed topics" that can include - commenting on pics, scratch vs. mix baking and legal vs. illegal baking. Maybe JanH can put it together? lol

Don't feel bad vicmic, you were only posting your findings. Most here are indeed extremely helpful and so willing to help. icon_smile.gif

That's funny....JanH crossed my mind too....she's the links QUEEN.

Vicmic...ditto...it's simply a very common topic that us "oldies" have seen beaten to death....like I said....there is no way a newbie would have known that. icon_smile.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:31pm
post #38 of 47

I am addicted to this site because everyone IS helpful! I hate to think people would not post pics because they are not receiving enough comments! I love to look at pictures and get ideas and don't mind sharing mine.

Vicmic, if you want help or suggestions, the forums are a great place - you can even upload a pic of the cake to the thread. I am sure that there are many members that wouldn't mind if you pm them as well - please don't feel turned off, this has been the most helpful place I have ever been on for cakes!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 6:52pm
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmic

... I thought it was a helping place, even a "oh that's cute, have you ever tried using blah blah blah instead" would have been nice, but I guess that could get out of hand as well...

This absolutely IS a helping place, there is NONE better!! But you have to ASK for help! No one will just pop onto one of your pictures and say, "That's nice, but have you learned how to blah, blah, blah, because it would look so much better..." That would start an immediate war! (If you think THIS topic is volatile... whew!!) If you want suggestions, simply ask, and we will flood you with both praise and suggestions!! icon_wink.gif And I don't hate one word comments, in case anyone is now afraid to leave one on my pics. At first I was turned off by them, but over time I have realized that they are just the way that person expresses themselves. So please, don't avoid my gallery because of that!! icon_lol.gif

That's such a can of worms that most aren't even willing to get close to it in any comments they leave. The only comments you're going to get on your pictures are positive ones, if you want help Melvira's right you need to start a post asking for pointers.
Don't not post your pictures just accept that they aren't going to get as many comments as views and might have been put in favorites without comments.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm
post #40 of 47

I agree that people should post in the forums to get specific kinds of feedback BUT...

this can also be frustrating because there are people who say that they are asking just to get compliments! Sometimes I have seriously wondered what to charge for a cake or how I did on a cake, but I've been hesitant to post because of past threads where people have put others down for doing this.

THat said, I must say that I've always had great results when I've posted in a forum -- whether to ask a question or share a success.

I think cc is the best place for cake stuff -- and despite some of the bickering and harsher views, I love this place and all the talent I see on here. It's the most inspiring place I know.

S.

shannonchef2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonchef2004 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #41 of 47

I will say I am new to CC and I have been on here a lot trying to get ideas for a cake that was for my sons birthday. There are so many great cakes on here and with my kids running around I don't have time to sit and post comments on every cake that I have pulled up to view. Not that I don't think they are great cake and don't deserve the comment but I pull up the pics because it is hard to see them in a thumbnail view and I need a larger image to see. Everyone on here does great work but in my opnion please don't get your feelings hurt or get offended if you don't have alot of comments on your pics everyone has their reasons why they haven't posted a comment. For me it is because I am so busy and trying to get ideas quick that I can't post a comment on every pic i look at. Plus my computer freezes up alot. I know I am rambling and I am not trying to be mean.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #42 of 47

I haven't read this entire thread, but sometimes when you pull up a thumbnail-sized photo what you view on a larger screen isn't at all what you thought it was going to be.

I've looked at a few, for instance, that I thought were cakes but they turned out to be gumpaste figures.

Many times I simply add a cake to my favs without commenting, as being added as a fav is the highest compliment, IMO.

I actually think it is more important for the person who posted the picture to fill out the information about it. Why did you make that particular design, what was used, who it was for... ? Any little bit that gives some background. You are more likely to get comments when you leave a description.

I've been here a while now and, while I still enjoy comments, the importance of them has taken a dive because, as stated earlier, several hundred photos are uploaded daily. Mine rarely ever make the front page -- those that don't get very few views, even if think I did a fabulous job icon_cool.gif

You cannot take it personally. Be confident that you are the bomb regardless of whether a comment was left or not. Heck, I should be signing autographs every time I leave the house because my cakes are so fabulous, LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

good one! icon_lol.gif

shannonchef2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonchef2004 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:19pm
post #44 of 47

MacsMom, I agree I have pulled up thumbnails that I thought were cakes and they were something different. Alot of them are fondunt and I can't do fondunt so I just close them. Not that the cakes aren't great cakes I just don't know how to do those types. But I agree with you.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #45 of 47

Personally, it doesn't mean much to me when I know people are commenting just for the sake of leaving a comment. I would rather know that if someone commented, that it was sincere. And I say this knowing that at times I have been disappointed that no one commented on something, but I'd still rather have sincere.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #46 of 47

Your cakes are lovely.

I have to say, I do not add cakes to this site for others, I do it for myself so that I have a place to keep them where I can go back and review them and see my progress, if any. It is nice that people leave a nice comment here and there but I am not offended if they do not and it is not expected of them. I would rather a sincere comment than an obligatory one. JMHO.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:10pm
post #47 of 47

i'm a newb and i'm delighted if i even get a view, i appreciate comments but its not something that bums me out if i don't get any. i like to share what i've done because i'm proud of it not because i'm fishing for compliments. when i browse other people's cake pics i do it mainly to get ideas, it's unrealistic for me to comment on every single pic i peruse. I agree, as someone mentioned earlier, that if you want tips/criticism/or a rainfall of compliments then you should post your pic to a thread and express you're looking for just that. my $0.02 thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%