Wedding Nightmare Finally Over (Long, But W/pics)

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm by tdybear1978

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 60

I had a wedding this last saturday and I am so happy it is finally done. Over the course of the last month I have seen and heard from mom of bride about 3 dozen times. They ordered my wedding package (which includes food, cake, punch, servers, etc.) to serve 150 guests and they upgraded their cake up to serve 200, boy it was a monster and so heavy. Anyways, so we get there and start setting up, finish the cake and have a little bit of rest time and then the guests start showing up, and then more and more and more and OH MY GOSH icon_surprised.gif i could see that we were going to have a problem. Friends of the mom come running in (about 20 minutes in to the reception now and food is almost gone and bride/groom/wedding party/close family have still not made it yet due to pictures) and tell me that they were only expecting 100 guests at the wedding and 210 signed in the guest book icon_eek.gif and there were people showing up to the reception that did not even attend the wedding. Well, what am I suppose to do? I brought food for the 150 they paid for and then I always bring a complimentary extra 30 servings for those little piggies that always show up. So the friends hauled it to the grocery store, bought crap loads of stuff and we were just throwing things together behind the table, I was exhausted. We ended up being at this reception for almost 6 hours, I thought it would never end. Anyways, thankfully it finally did and we just poured ourselves into bed that night. So that is my nightmare wedding for this weekend. Here are some pictures of the evening hope you all like.
LL
LL
LL

59 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 60

excellent job on the cake and fixing on the fly!

i hope that they will be paying you for all the extra food and time.

cococakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cococakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 60

Fantastic job on everything, especially the cake. I agree with Doug they should pay for the extra food and such.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 60

What Doug said and it sounds to me like someone tried to get by as cheaply as possible, gambling on a lot of people NOT showing up! Don't short change yourself one bit! Charge extra for the hours and I'd really sock it to them for the running to the store and extra food!

Your cake and set up is very pretty!!

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 60

great job,love the cake

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 60

Gorgeous cake! I can't believe all the extra people! You must be exhausted.

Angie

cakewoman1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewoman1 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 60

Beautiful cakes and presentation. Don't hesitate to give her another bill for the balance of the work and effort.

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 60

well, she did pay for us to stay until midnight and we left about 12:30 so not that much extra time, it just felt like an eternity

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 60

Lovely cake.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 60

Glad you made it through! Your cake is gorgeous!

I agree with the paying for the extra time and such! Sounds like you were running around like a chicken with your head cut off! Wow! Great pull through!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 60

Beauty of a cake!! And definitely charge them for your time.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 60

I agree--beautiful cake and set up.

Agree,too, that you should send another bill for all the extra food.
You went above and beyond on this one!!

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 60

thanks everyone for all the great comments

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:33pm
post #14 of 60

It sounds like you held it together so well! I would have been a mess probably. Your cake is beautiful. I love the design.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #15 of 60

As a fellow caterer, I salute you!!!! I had one about as bad ..... but you reign as the champ with this story! (In my story, one of the mothers was wanting a refund because we ran out of one food item. icon_confused.gif There were 3 moms in this story ..... and she was the mother who hadn't paid for any part of it!)

My husband calls it "tryin' to do it on the cheap!"

The tables are a beautiful set-up! Looks like you did a great job!

michellejohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellejohnson Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 60

Your cake is perfect! Sorry you had such a bad day. icon_biggrin.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:13pm
post #17 of 60

Wow icon_surprised.gif ! I salute you thumbs_up.gif . My father always said "improvise, adapt and overcome" and that's what you did. Excellent icon_biggrin.gif . Your cake is stunning and your presentation beautiful.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #18 of 60

Looks like everything was great. You did a wonderful job.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 60

Interesting what people do isn't it?? You did a fantastic job. Hope you were reimbursed for all the time and extra effort you put into that one. Hopefully your next one will be a breeze............... icon_wink.gif

churchmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
churchmouse Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #20 of 60

Your cake is beautiful and I am glad you got through the reception. I cater small weddings here at the church where I work and I am always terrified that they will run out of food. How anyone does it on a full-time basis is beyond me! I applaud you all.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:27pm
post #21 of 60

How can you NOT know that many people are coming to the wedding?? Now we had less people show up then we thought - and so we offered food to the DJs and other people that probably weren't expecting to be fed.....

Still I feel they probably stole some food from us b/c they didn't box up ANYTHING for us at all and I know there had to be food left considering not everyone showed up.... they also didn't box any extra cake and I know there was a LOT of that left over too.... hmm still makes me a bit mad. Too late now though.

Unless they were tyring to do it cheap and hoping some people wouldn't come to the reception... or maybe they invited people to the wedding and not to the reception (u know b/c they can't afford everyone at the reception but still want them to be a part of the wedding ceremony).... i dunno. If the guests just "showed up" without RSVPing or anything then the guests were incredibly rude.

All in all good for you though and congrats - it all looks beautiful!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:29pm
post #22 of 60

Wow, beautiful cake!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:33pm
post #23 of 60

Everything was picture perfect, AND you lived to tell about it. Have a blessed day.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:36pm
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchmouse

Your cake is beautiful and I am glad you got through the reception. I cater small weddings here at the church where I work and I am always terrified that they will run out of food. How anyone does it on a full-time basis is beyond me! I applaud you all.

This is why it is NOT always cheaper to "do it yourself". Most people have no idea how much food to bring so they end up buying more (WAY more!) than they need. Plus just the logistics of preparing and transporting food for 100+. It's a little different than Thanksgiving at your home! icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

Still I feel they probably stole some food from us b/c they didn't box up ANYTHING for us at all and I know there had to be food left considering not everyone showed up....

Many health dept laws prohibit this. Any left over food must be taken down to 41 degrees and must be consumed within 2 hours. Because of the liability, most just do not allow food to be packaged up and left on the counter/table for the family to take home 4 or 5 hours later. They didn't "steal" it from you.....they followed the rules. (although the cake is a whole different story. icon_confused.gif )

This is why I work very closely with brides on their headcount, so they don't pay for food they don't need, and so there isn't a lot of food left over. (1 - I'm basically a lazy person and I don't want to do more work than I have to. 2 - Coming from a family of 6 kids, I believe it's a sin to waste food, so let's plan it right so we get the right amount of food.)
thumbs_up.gif

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:36pm
post #25 of 60

Beautiful set up, Beautiful cake!!!!

I sure hope you got more then just a THANKS out of that one. If not, at least be proud you were able to keep it together w/o going nuts, at least where no one could see you!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm
post #26 of 60

Beautiful cake and set up! And congrats on coming out on top! icon_smile.gif

My parents, myself, and my sister, all catered my brother and ex sil's wedding reception. We were making food for 2 days prior (things that were ok to be kept in the fridge like that) and the day of, we went to the reception site 4 hours before the wedding was to begin (they had the wedding and reception in the same room so alot of furniture moving after the ceremony lol) we set up crock pots in the kitchen with meatballs and other things and had the meat platters ready in the fridge, cheese trays etc... all ready to go. We didn't run out of food and didn't have much left over. I don't remember her cake at all lol (was before I started decorating) but I do know it was a guestimate on the number of people coming and being fed because they didn't do much of anything right lol. They ended up feeding people that weren't supposed to be fed because they did it up buffet style (which every wedding I've been to has been like this).

Other weddings I've been to, the reception has ended and there are loads of food being brought back out from the back one in particular, my best friends wedding, not as many showed as RSVP'ed and they had 2 platters of meat (lunch meat) left over, rolls out the ying yang, and cheese gallore!!! lol. Made for a great week afterwards lol. Her entire bottom tier of cake got thrown out by some idiot at the hall..

Anyway reason for stories... as long as it's been placed in the fridge afterwads, our local places will pack it up for you to take your left overs home icon_smile.gif

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:11pm
post #27 of 60

The cake is beautiful as well as the presentation! I am sure you are glad that one is over!

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:21pm
post #28 of 60

Beautiful cake!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:35pm
post #29 of 60

Your cake is one of the coolest ones I have ever seen.....the design and color combo really works and the tulle/mesh swag with little lights is spot-on. icon_lol.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:34pm
post #30 of 60

thanks everyone - well, when it is all over you think you are done with them but I got a call from the mom today to settle up on the bill for the extra (last minute) table skirts she had me bring and I very subtlely went over everything we had to go thru while they were not there with the food problems and all she said was well I am so glad that it turned out can you please email me any pictures of the food tables that you have so I can see what they looked like and then authorized me to charge the $30 for the extra skirts. HAHA so much for some little tip I thought we deserved lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%