Wanna See What My Mil Did To My Cake???

Decorating By flavacakes Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 11:07pm by FromScratch

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 41

So, I wanted to try the purse cake from The Confetti Cakes book. I finished but had a hard time getting the cornstarch off of the fondant. Frusterated, I decided to go take a shower and get ready for my SIL's party, the one who the cake is for. I come out and my MIL decides to take a wet rag and "wash" my cake to get the cornstarch out!!! icon_mad.gif

I know she was trying to help and has no clue about cake decorating but GEEZ! It would not dry and the cake looked like total crap! Everyone at the party loved it but it didn't look as bad in person as it did in the picture but it still looked horrible.

Here's a pic so you all can see. Now don't laugh too hard! icon_lol.gif I hope to try this one again and hopefully not have cornstarch all over it.

Sorry about all the junk in the pic but I was in a hurry!
LL

40 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 41

OMG, I suppose the damage could have been much worse.

If you roll fondant on plastic sheeting, sometimes with a dab of shortening, you don't have to be concerned about cornstarch.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 41

very nicely done cake -- even w/ the wash job!

----

I may be in the minority here -- ok I am, considering I'm a guy!!icon_rolleyes.gif --

I do NOT use cornstarch -- ICK -- can't stand the taste it leaves.

I use powdered sugar -- which IS what fondant is made out of.

and to get rid of the excess ---

can polish it in w/ a brush or rubbing really well w/ fondant smoother

or

for more stubborn sections -- can wash it off w/ damp (not wet or dripping -- as in wet brush and get rid of excess on paper towel) brush that has been dipped in

either water or vodka or everclear

-----

looking forward to your next purse (made when MIL is NOT present!)

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 41

I agree with Doug I have never used corn starch (is it the same as cornflour?) I always use icing sugar. If you use a non stick silicon rolling pin and put plenty of icing sugar on your worktop you should get no marks on the side that will show.

flavacakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 41

Thanks guys, I always used to use shortening but I hated getting grease all over everything including myself so I thought I'd try the cornstarch since Elisa Strauss uses that in her book. But next I will try the powdered sugar!!

I know it could've been worse but I worked hard on that cake and I can't even use the pic for the future let alone post in the CC gallery. icon_mad.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 41

I use a light film of shortening. It works well for me and you don't have any powder residue on the fondant. Actually the cake doesn't look that bad in the picture. I am sure she thought she was helping but I would never touch another persons work and try to change or correct anything. Pretty nervy.

flavacakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I use a light film of shortening. It works well for me and you don't have any powder residue on the fondant. Actually the cake doesn't look that bad in the picture. I am sure she thought she was helping but I would never touch another persons work and try to change or correct anything. Pretty nervy.

Shirley, it's funny you say that because she IS very nervy!! It drives me nuts!!! icon_lol.gificon_mad.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:10am
post #8 of 41

i agree it looks fine.

doug why vodka for that? i've seen it mentioned a few times but the reasons for its use i've not learned yet icon_wink.gif I'm still new to fondant as wilton t urned me away from it years ago and i was too intimidated to make the standard version of fondant.. (side note i have made two practice versions of mmf and going to try a 3rd soon) since i found mmf i'm one of the converted icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:10am
post #9 of 41

Ok, the cake is gorgeous, even with the... umm... shall we call it 'interesting texture'? icon_wink.gif I am SURE she had the best intentions... but you know what they say the road to he** is paved with! Good job not ending up on the evening news... I probably would've! icon_rolleyes.gif "Local woman beats mother in law with french style rolling pin...film at 11."

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:11am
post #10 of 41

To get cornstarch off of fondant I use a LARGE fluffy cosmetic brush one that you might use for blush or face powder. It doesn't leave marks in the fondant at all.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:11am
post #11 of 41

the cake is lovely.. despite the cheap wash job!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:12am
post #12 of 41

You could attempt to take the photo to Paint program and blend the colors some more.... it may work to hide the smudge from the wiping.

It is a beautiful cake, good you couldn't see it so bad in person, bad it messed up the pic icon_sad.gif.

Is that your MIL standing in the back ground like she's done no wrong? lmfao

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:15am
post #13 of 41

I TOTALLY agree with Shirley W and Melvira (toooo funny!!). Your cake looks greatttttt!! Did I marry into the family too? Sounds like someone I know icon_wink.gif Gotta love 'em

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:22am
post #14 of 41

gengen you can use vodka because it dries really quickly without leaving a sheen on the cake most of the time. some people even use it in their airbrush to mist the entire cake to get rid of the sugar. it seems that i remember one of duff's girls mentioning that on ace of cakes. i wouldn't use it on a kid's cake tho.

i might be wrong about all of this but i'm sure doug will set me straight if i'm not...lol

flavacakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:20am
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Ok, the cake is gorgeous, even with the... umm... shall we call it 'interesting texture'? icon_wink.gif I am SURE she had the best intentions... but you know what they say the road to he** is paved with! Good job not ending up on the evening news... I probably would've! icon_rolleyes.gif "Local woman beats mother in law with french style rolling pin...film at 11."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You are funny! I came close... icon_lol.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:23am
post #16 of 41

Sweet merciful Mother of God......I would have throttled her! You are a saint.

flavacakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:23am
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

Yep, that's her! icon_lol.gif She said that looked better than the cornstarch on it. icon_lol.gif

Thank you all for the compliments and for the laughs. I knew only you guys would understand! icon_lol.gif

flavacakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:26am
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Sweet merciful Mother of God......I would have throttled her! You are a saint.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had to restrain myself. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavacakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

Yep, that's her! icon_lol.gif She said that looked better than the cornstarch on it. icon_lol.gif

Thank you all for the compliments and for the laughs. I knew only you guys would understand! icon_lol.gif

LMFAO!!! I didn't even notice her the first time, but sure as I'm sitting here, she's standing there like you are just the silliest person on earth, and that she really helped you out! You gotta love mother-in-laws... they don't always intend to be that way. Sometimes they really DO think they're helping!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:37am
post #20 of 41

[quote="ShirleyW. Actually the cake doesn't look that bad in the picture. I am sure she thought she was helping but I would never touch another persons work and try to change or correct anything. Pretty nervy.[/quote]

Gotta say I agree with Shirley on this one............................

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #21 of 41

Oh but it still looks awesome! You can totally tell that without the "sheen" it was darn near perfect.

LMAO over everyone's comments. I had to go back and see her in the background, too!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #22 of 41

Do we have the same mother in law? I swear, that is something mine would do...
Other than the "clean-up", your cake is awesome.
Erin

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:55am
post #23 of 41

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I'd find a nice way to tell her to keep her hands off my cake.

Badeerah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badeerah Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:09am
post #24 of 41

You could have taken a paper towel with a little canola oil on it and made the whole cake shiny, it would have made it look like patent leather. You know patent leather is all the rage right now icon_smile.gif I know, I know sometimes I get caught between being a cakenista and a fashionista.

BTW your cake looks great. Tell your MIL keep her hands off your cakes. Some people just don't understand that our cakes are pieces of art. I'm wondering what if Monet's MIL went around touching on his paintings? Ask her that LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:32am
post #25 of 41

I agree with "canoewoman"

"To get cornstarch off of fondant I use a LARGE fluffy cosmetic brush one that you might use for blush or face powder. It doesn't leave marks in the fondant at all."

Works for me as well.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:05pm
post #26 of 41

hehe my mother inlaw knows next to nothing bout the cake world (trust me i've confused her several times just by using the terms icing and frosting interchangeablly.) she knows better then to mess with one of my cakes save for saving it from being eaten by pets or falling on floor lol.. actualy i should put it as she doesn't want to mess with it; she'd be afraid she'd ruin it even by simply moving it lol

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #27 of 41

When rolling chocolate, you can use a little cocoa powder. It doesn't show up as much as conrstarch. Your cake looks great anyway!

flavacakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:00pm
post #28 of 41

Thank you all soooo much for being so sweet and sooooo funny!!!! icon_lol.gif My stomach hurts from laughing!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:13pm
post #29 of 41

The cake looks great. I hope you didn't yell at your MIL, did you?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:18pm
post #30 of 41

Your purse is beautiful - even in patent leather!

Debbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%