Received First Nasty Feedback-Your Thoughts?

Decorating By KimmysKakes Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 12:21pm by sugarbakerqueen

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:40am
post #31 of 139

No matter how bad the cake was (and it wasn't, it's gorgeous), no one has the right to talk like that to another human being. How dare she? Who does she think she is? I mean, people need to have a little bit of decorum. We put alot of our work, imagination, creativity, time,etc into these cakes. It's unbelievable that someone would react this way.

sorry, just my opinion. Rude people really get to me. But as another post said, I would contact the person who ordered the cake to find out what happened.

CrystalRain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalRain Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:41am
post #32 of 139

you know what my first thought was when reading about her being so upset with her husband spending that much $$$ on her cake? Little miss ungrateful probably wanted a big expensive birthday present which she didn't get and is mad that her husband spent money that could've been spent on a gift on her cake instead.

Or she's a big old cow and is mad she gained even more weight from eating your delicious cake! LOL!

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:46am
post #33 of 139

Or she's a big old cow and is mad she gained even more weight from eating your delicious cake! LOL!

I love it!!!!!!!!!! Thx. icon_lol.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:50am
post #34 of 139

Truly, I don't see anything wrong with forwarding the email to the responsible party and simply inquiring if there were problems with your product and asking for feedback. Your response was totally professional and tactful, but you still had your reputation tarnished unjustly. I wouldn't send it in a manner that seemed defensive, just inquisitive. After all, it's all about customer service and satisfaction.

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:53am
post #35 of 139

ckkerber, don't you think THAT person will confront the recipient and that may cause a whole 'nother problem?

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:54am
post #36 of 139

The woman is a real B!@#* icon_mad.gif . I think your cake is very beautiful. She probably is upset over how is she is getting like someone said. I think it is nothing wrong with it and I hope one day I can do a cake that elegant and beautiful. Don't worry about what sour people say. Keep doing what you are doing: Making wonderful cakes. thumbs_up.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:00am
post #37 of 139

First of all I have to say, you do GREAT work. My mouth literally dropped when I read that email. That's just plain nasty. I've had 2 unhappy people...1 was really nice, the other, was not nasty but clearly unhappy. HOW RUDE. I'm still speechless. You were very professional in your comments and respectful...bet that peeved her too. I bet she was looking for a free cake and I bet there was no cake left. She sounds suspect to me. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

pikle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pikle Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:02am
post #38 of 139

Just piping it... it is a beautiful cake. I would definitely forward the email to the orderer adding a little apology like, "i am so sorry the recipient was disappointed with the cake-- was it not to your specifications???" Kind of put the blame back on them. My guess is that she looked at a bank statement and inquired on price, than freaked out on what could have been a cheapy cake (that would have looked horrid). But personally, I would forward it..... JMO icon_smile.gif

Nicole

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:02am
post #39 of 139

I would also contact the paying party and forward the email. If it causes problems between them it's nothing to you (except some sweet revenge) lol but I know I would like to know if I was the one paying for the cake. Plus it might put your mind at ease and keep her from bad mouthing you and you can see if the other guests actually like it.

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #40 of 139

Thanks, mekaclayton. I wanted my response to be sort of lighhearted so she doesn't think she "got" to me. I'm on the verge of sending an email to the person who bought the cake, but then if the customer confronts the recipient, won't it look like I really am bothered? Sorry to keep dragging this on!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #41 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berl

ckkerber, don't you think THAT person will confront the recipient and that may cause a whole 'nother problem?

That may very well happen, but that doesn't really have anything to do with you. Right now, this woman is spitting venom all over you and your business reputation for some unknown reason. Just letting it go doesn't do a darn thing to protect your reputation. If you forward the message to her hubby or friend with a simple, "I wanted to follow up with you to ensure that the cake you received from me met your expectations regarding flavor and design. I received a complaint from the guest of honor and feel like the cake I created matched the design chosen. It had "X" layers of "whatever kind of" filling and I just wanted to clarify because I feel confident that my cake was up to my stringent standards and should have been a wonderful complement to the celebratory atmosphere of the party." or something along those lines. If you feel more comfortable, don't forward her vicious message, just address the items that she accused you of botching up so that they can confirm that you did indeed do everything they asked. It's not at all the intention to start a war, rather just to clear up the confusion so you can know that your reputation is still untarnished.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #42 of 139

Something is amuck! She claimed there was no filling and you said there was filling. Is it possible another cake showed up to the function and wires got crossed as to who did what and which one costed the anger provoking amount?

Just a thought....

Take ckkerber's suggestion, forward it for clarification. I say there was a mix up of some kind.

pmw109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmw109 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:08am
post #43 of 139

Honestly it sounds to me like she is one of those spoiled brats on that sweet sixteen show on mtv. It's probably not the cake she told her DH & BF to get and when everyone liked that cake more than what she would have gotten it made her mad. She is a totally icon_evil.gif and hopefully no one will ever try to do something nice for her again.

You made a gorgeous cake that took a lot of time and any sane person would love to get one that looks that elegant. Reminds me of Breakfast at Tiffany's. If she replies to you just ingore it, or rather nicely tell her that the issue is closed have a nice life. i feel bad for the DH having to live with someone like that.

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #44 of 139

Wow ckkerber, you're good!!! Okay, I'm going to email her right now and will let you all know what I hear back. If you don't hear from me, then you know I jumped off the roof cause the cake really did stink! icon_cry.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:21am
post #45 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Something is amuck! She claimed there was no filling and you said there was filling. Is it possible another cake showed up to the function and wires got crossed as to who did what and which one costed the anger provoking amount?

Just a thought....

Take ckkerber's suggestion, forward it for clarification. I say there was a mix up of some kind.

That's what I was thinking !! Maybe she's complaining about a totally different cake....? Still doesn't excuse the rude cow !!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #46 of 139

no, it doesn't excuse her behavior. Maybe just maybe she thought the person that bought her the cake(the confused one) took advantage of the person who bought the cake....and she was retaliating

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #47 of 139

I feel so sorry for you, you did such a nice job and then you have this b***h saying these things to you. I can see there is definitely something wrong with this lady, so just chalk it up to that, your cake was beautiful, she is a angry bitter person, and feel sorry for the people around her. Maybe she will realize someday that the world doesn't revolve around her.
I have felt hurt before when someone didn't say much about the cake I delivered, and I constantly second guess myself, was there something wrong, did they not like it... but to have someone be so cruel I can't imagine. There are always going to be people in the world like this, and you happened to have crossed paths with one, I'm so sorry you were hurt, and try not to let it bother you, there is no way she would have ever liked anything.

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #48 of 139

Whoa! what a way to express her dissatisfaction... There are nicer ways to talk to people - even if you are a disgruntled customer. You handled yourself with decorum and dimplomacy, two attributes which your custmer did not have. Your cake is stunning and she didn't deserve to get this cake! I'm speechless, how can anyone with an eye for beauty say that your cake was the ugliest thing that she had seen. (You didn't put any mirrors on it did you - maybe she saw something else !! icon_smile.gif)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:37am
post #49 of 139

The person who paid for the cake is your customer - not the honoree. You need to clear it up with the customer. Her complaints about taste are simply hearsay - as she admitting being too angry to even try it.

And I must say... WHAT A B*TCH!!! I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, but her tone and comments were totally uncalled for, and beyond a complaint. That was an attack.

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:40am
post #50 of 139

"I have felt hurt before when someone didn't say much about the cake I delivered, and I constantly second guess myself, was there something wrong, did they not like it... "

Cathyscakes, I do that all the time! It's actually rare when I DON'T get feedback. Thanks for your kind words.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #51 of 139

Wow...the consensus is clear here, and I agree with everyone else. Lovely, classic cake that you should be absolutely proud of.

Now then...::rubbing hands together:::let's send this <cough> lady a copy of the thread so she knows the cake bakers of America think she's a whackadoodle. icon_wink.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:42am
post #52 of 139

I'm with everyone else and love ckkerber's verbage for you to inquire about the cake to the person who ORDERED and paid for it. I for one probably wouldn't forward the nasty person's email along with it (unless the hubby asked for it) as it was a personal communication from her to you, but it's certainly within your right to do so especially considering the way she is slandering your work! And "it was too ugly, I wouldn't even taste it"? WTF??!!!

Either way the things she said were so inflammatory and so specific to your business ("I will never refer anyone to your company") that I think you are entitled--even obligated (for your business)--to find out what went "wrong" (or actually, what didn't) from the person who ordered the cake. A pretty normal inquiry for you to make, from a professional standpoint. You deserve to defend yourself!

Meanwhile I was blown away by your professional response to her uncalled-for email. It was really top-notch! And of course, as everyone else observed, the cake was lovely.

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #53 of 139

Wow you are so much nicer than I am! Your response email was so great. She really didn't even deserve one! There is such a thing as having a complaint but you also must remember your manners as you do so. She obviously is a spoiled brat. Good thing email has that sweet little "delete" key, because that would have been my only response icon_wink.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #54 of 139

I second that motion, kwdonlon!!!! party.gif

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #55 of 139

Wow Some people...Don't let it stick with you try to brush it off..That was very hurtful of her to say those things. People should know you get more with honey if she was looking for something other than what you sent her in the email..tough..go on..after saying those things i don't see anybody giving her any time or money back

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:44am
post #56 of 139

Now then...::rubbing hands together:::let's send this <cough> lady a copy of the thread so she knows the cake bakers of America think she's a whackadoodle. icon_wink.gif[/quote]

that's AWESOME!!! ROTFLMAO

KimmysKakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:48am
post #57 of 139

Oh man, I could stay up all night with you guys! But it's WAY past my bed time. I sent the paying customer an email using ckkerber's suggested wording. Let's see what happens. I know you all "got-my-back"!!!!! Have a great night.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:50am
post #58 of 139

I really like you cake, you did great and I a, sorry this person e-mailed you such a nasty message.

I really like what ckkerber has written, also like everyone else and all4cakes I think something is a muck.

I know you e-mailed the person that purchased the cake, did you deliver it to them? if not, I would definetely send them a picture of the cake to make sure that is the cake in questions.

This might all be a cake of mistaken identity. Anyhow I hope so and I hope you will get an appology.

All the best. Good Luck

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:51am
post #59 of 139

I think you answered her email very professionally. I don't know that I could have done that. I have such a temper that I would have called her and told her exactly "how the cow ate the cabbage." Then the next day after I had time to cool off, I would have regretted it. You showed class and a very professional attitude. Don't lower yourself to her level by sending her hubby a copy of her email. I would say that your reputation speaks for itself and your cake orders will keep rolling in.

Keep up the good work.

Diane

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:58am
post #60 of 139

I think the cake you made is really beautiful. That lady is a crackpot. You've got a lot more self control than I do, I would have asked if there was any cake left and told her to put it where the sun don't shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%