How To Keep Icing Dots From "peaking"

Decorating By MosMom Updated 9 May 2014 , 2:06pm by -K8memphis

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 16

I hate when I make dots or beads and when I pull the piping back up they "peak". Is it my icing consistency that causes this? I've included a picture of my son's birthday cake where I did several dots. I had some that turned out good but most got that point. I waited until the icing dried a bit and then I smooshed them down (after the picture was taken). They looked much better but I imagine there is a better technique.
LL

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 16

Don't pull the piping bag "up". I do a little "swirl" before lifting the bag up. Even still, you may have to go back with a cornstarch or powdered sugar dipped finger and flatten them. I think no matter how well you are with the bag-lifting, a finger-flattened-dot always looks better.

I started doing this each and everytime after one CC'er said that dots should not look like chocolate chips (i.e. "pointy").

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 16

Yeah, I am doing that but I still get them. It is almost like my icing doesn't want to let go even when I do the swirl. Practice makes somewhat perfect I'm sure. icon_wink.gif

Glad to know I'm not the only one who flattens them with a finger. Thanks.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 16

It also helps to stop squeezing the bag before you lift the tip off. But in case you still get any, finger dipped in powdered sugar should flatten it icon_smile.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 16

Don't lift the bag up, but off to one side. I swirl the tip and pull to the side, never upwards.

Sometimes, if I want my dots flatter, I will dip my finger in powdered suger and press them down a bit.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:42am
post #6 of 16

I had good luck piping the dots from the side, almost like a shell. The next dot hides the peak.

Also, a damp paint brush works great to flatten the dots.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:50am
post #7 of 16

I use a wet paint brush - works every time!

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:40am
post #8 of 16

I also use a wet paint brush. Works for me too...

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:51am
post #9 of 16

Mosmom-

Just wanted to say that if pointy dots are your biggest problem in cake decorating, then you are set! Your Pac Man cake looks amazing!

ellerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellerchick Posted 5 May 2014 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 16

thanks everyone, this helps me too. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 May 2014 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellerchick 

thanks everyone, this helps me too. 

ellerchick this is a perfect example how using the 'search' button helps finds solutions to problems.  This thread is 8 years old, and yet it's stillalive.  That's so cool!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 12:21am
post #12 of 16

you can get royal icing the right consistency and it will fall back in on itself perfectly ---it's a magestic piping control trip--i love to do that--even piping onto the side of a cake--i'm a veteran piper--this is seriously fun/fulfilling to do-- 

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 6 May 2014 , 12:44am
post #13 of 16

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

you can get royal icing the right consistency and it will fall back in on itself perfectly ---it's a magestic piping control trip--i love to do that--even piping onto the side of a cake--i'm a veteran piper--this is [I]seriously[/I] fun/fulfilling to do-- 

That's exactly right. With royal icing, If it's peaking it's too thick, thin it out a little till it works right. If I remember correctly, while it's in the bowl, run a knife through the icing. It should take 10 seconds for the line to not be visible anymore, that's the right consistency.

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:17am
post #14 of 16

yes and i'll add gum arabic to the royal and it will pipe out kinda shiny--it's crazy fun in one mighty squeeze of the bag you get a beautiful pearl--it's powerful

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 May 2014 , 2:18am
post #15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

yes and i'll add gum arabic to the royal and it will pipe out kinda shiny--it's crazy fun in one mighty squeeze of the bag you get a beautiful pearl--it's powerful

K8 Just when I thought I'd purchased everything that I needed already. Now I want gum arabic also.

This sounds so cool I'm going to have to try it, especially on cookie decorating.

-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:06pm
post #16 of 16

it's a lotta fun, mb-- it's 'passive brilliance' hahahaha

it's too easy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%