Methods For More Realistic Roses?

Decorating By Copacabanya Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 5:48pm by BJ

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:05am
post #1 of 42

I know this is a pretty basic question but I haven't been able to find many real how-to's on this. I'm taking the Wilton Course 3 right now and have been working on the fondant roses. I don't know why, but this method just doesn't do it for me. It uses the blossom cutter and for some reason my last layer of petals end up looking like a blossom wrapped around a rosebud. lol I know I need practice but I don't particularly care for the way they look in the book either so I'd like to try something different.

I'm wondering if any of you have a preferred method that you get better results from and if there are any tutorials you could point me toward. I would greatly appreciate it!

Anya

41 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:13am
post #2 of 42

I like using this cutter from FMM: http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18442

It is an all-in-one cutter so will be the same technique as your blossom cutter. The FMM cutter has a little protruding part on top of each petal and it makes a huge difference in the finished rose. It also comes in 6 different sizes.

Here are instructions from FMM on how to use it: http://www.fmmsugarcraft.com/pdf/page10.pdf

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #3 of 42

I think I'll order a set - but what size do you recommend?
Is 65mm the average, is 90 too big?

miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:38am
post #4 of 42

I tend to use 65,75 and 90mm most as I like my roses big. I recommend getting at least 2 so you can use the smaller cutter for the inner petals and the bigger cutter for the outer ones.

Copacabanya Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:19am
post #5 of 42

Thank you Miriel! Those do look like they'd make a big difference in the petals...not to mention it saves me having to make all those little cuts between each petal.

I'm going to order them and give it a shot! Thanks again for the suggestion!

Anya

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:34am
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabanya

I know this is a pretty basic question but I haven't been able to find many real how-to's on this. I'm taking the Wilton Course 3 right now and have been working on the fondant roses. I don't know why, but this method just doesn't do it for me. It uses the blossom cutter and for some reason my last layer of petals end up looking like a blossom wrapped around a rosebud. lol I know I need practice but I don't particularly care for the way they look in the book either so I'd like to try something different.

I'm wondering if any of you have a preferred method that you get better results from and if there are any tutorials you could point me toward. I would greatly appreciate it!

Anya

Do you want something that looks like this?
LL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:37am
post #7 of 42

This may be of help to you: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1409721205047057112FcnmtW

This gentleman does gorgeous roses. Also, if you're able to, Nicholas Lodge has books and DVDs. I purchased one of his DVDs and I love how his roses look.

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:57am
post #8 of 42

Does anyone know if Country Kitchen sells a good set. I'm looking for a good set and do not want to buy the Wilton set.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:02am
post #9 of 42

To Sugar_Plum_Fairy: Thanks for posting the webshots for the Rosemary Watson Rose - I use that same technique but without the formers using the handle of my paintbrush to curl the petals and place them on the back of spoons to dry.

I would like to know what that pinkish button/jellybean type thing is on the formers - any ideas?

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:15am
post #10 of 42

Cake_Princess - Who wouldn't want something that looks like that. That is a beautiful rose. What talent.

I am not great at fondant roses but my best ones resulted from using Little Linda's tootsie roll method. This is from a post by her:

LittleLinda
Forum Fanatic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've made them with the differnt colored/flavored tootsie rolls. I can post a picture when my DH comes home with his digital camera. I can explain how I make them.

I take a mini tootsie roll and microwave it about 15 seconds. I use a paring knife and slice it lengthwise. Then I cut the length into five equal pieces, so now (because I split it lengthwise) I have ten pieces. I flatten 9 pieces between my finger and thumb into basically circles. I take the last piece and form a tiny cone. I take one of the flat pieces and elongate it a little and wrap it around the tip of the cone for the center. Then I put three petals around that and finally five petals around that. Voila!

These do take a lot longer than making buttercream roses; but at least there is no drying out time.

Of course, fondant isn't shaped like TRs but you can make little circles and work from there. Anyhow, this is what worked for me.

Copacabanya Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:24am
post #11 of 42

Cake_Princess, YES! That is just gorgeous! That's more how I picture that a rose should look like.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions so far. I knew you all would be a great source of ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

Anya

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:26am
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

To Sugar_Plum_Fairy: Thanks for posting the webshots for the Rosemary Watson Rose - I use that same technique but without the formers using the handle of my paintbrush to curl the petals and place them on the back of spoons to dry.

I would like to know what that pinkish button/jellybean type thing is on the formers - any ideas?

I'm assuming the formers you are referring to are the metallic pieces which I still don't know from what they're made. They might just be heavy duty tin foil, but I don't know for sure. As for the white things on those metal pieces, those are plastic spoons with the handles broken off. Apparently the metal and spoon "heads" are glued to a flat board and that's what's used to form the petals.

I actually giggled when I read your question (I don't mean to sound mean or disrespectful), but I thought it was funny how you were asking what they were (the spoons) and then mentioned that you used spoons. icon_wink.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:45am
post #13 of 42

when I made my fondant roses (gumpaste) for my wilton 3 course I just made sure I rolled my fondant really thin and used the ball tool to curl the edges. My course 3 cake is in my pics. I think on some of mine I ended up cutting them apart but I think they turned out really well. The thinner the fondant the more realistic they look.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:47am
post #14 of 42

Thanks Sugar_Plum_Fairy for the tutorial post. Great idea, those formers. Going to make myself some. Great tip!!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:01am
post #15 of 42

Here's another great tutoial on roses http://www.culpitt.com/index.php

They also have someother flowers on there.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 11:54am
post #16 of 42

ok - have to admit it - i don't get the need for a rose petal former. I do my petals individually (rather than the 5 petal cutter - though I am intrigued by that), and they need to be mallable when I put them on, so what is the point of the petal former? Once I put the petals on for a row, I then use a needle tool to curl them back and give some movement.
LL

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 42

Okay not to sound stupid but this is all foriegn to me, haven't been doing this very long. I will be taking a gumpaste class in a week. Never worked with fondant either. Do you use the same tools for making flowers with gumpaste as with fondant?

Kat

miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:00pm
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwomen1up

Okay not to sound stupid but this is all foriegn to me, haven't been doing this very long. I will be taking a gumpaste class in a week. Never worked with fondant either. Do you use the same tools for making flowers with gumpaste as with fondant?

Kat

Same tools, same techniques icon_smile.gif

Copacabanya Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:25pm
post #19 of 42

CakeRN - Your roses did turn out beautifully! You did a great job. Now that I have made a few on my own I understand how much time that cake must have taken. I do think it would help to cut some of the petals apart, I will have to give that a shot.

peg818 - Thank you for the link, that's a great tutorial. I'm a very visual learner so the more step-by-step photos the better.

jmt1714 - Thank you so much for posting that, I think you pointed out my problem. I had never thought to curl the petals back with something. That makes all the difference in the world...no more rounded "blossom" petals on the outside layer! Woohoo! Thanks again. And your roses are beautiful, they look so real!

I did order the cutters that miriel suggested...just looks like they'd make life easier. I can't wait to try again with all of these new tips. Thank you guys!

Anya

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:34pm
post #20 of 42

Thanks so much for asking about this. I too will benefit.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Here's another great tutoial on roses http://www.culpitt.com/index.php

They also have someother flowers on there.

peg, thanks for posting this link. I like to get as many ideas as possible on how to do something and go with whichever 'feels' the best for me and gives me the best results. Also, I love seeing the tutorials for the other flowers.

Thanks.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #22 of 42

I use the tear drop shaped cutters for my rose petals.
LL

Copacabanya Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:20am
post #23 of 42

BJ - That is just absolutely gorgeous. Looks like it was freshly picked! I'd love to hear any tips you could give about your technique!

Anya

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:37am
post #24 of 42

Me, too, BJ. That is absolutely gorgeous! It's amazing how many different techniques there are for one type of flower and how they all work so well (of course some are better than others though).

BJ Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:31pm
post #25 of 42

I'll pm you some info. Thank you very much. thumbs_up.gif

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:06pm
post #26 of 42

I would also love to have any tips or pointers. I'm getting better at my roses but I'm still a long way from perfection. Please PM me with your instructions.

Thanks,
Sandra

Copacabanya Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #27 of 42

Since this thread popped up again I wanted to say thank you to all of you who helped me when I was trying to figure this out. My roses will probably never look like the one BJ posted, but I have just finished the ones for my course 3 finale cake this week and I am pleased with them. I'll post a pic so you guys can see what you helped me do!

And miriel, those FMM cutters made a WORLD of difference in the way my roses looked compared to the Wilton cutter. Thank you for that suggestion!

Anya
LL

BJ Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #28 of 42

Anya,
Your roses are BEAUTIFUL!!!! Job well done! You've found your nitche in the rose business. Keep up the great work! I know they don't give you grades for the Wilton classes but if they did you'd be at the top of your class with 100+ grade. thumbs_up.gif
BJ

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:36pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

I use the tear drop shaped cutters for my rose petals.

wow Bj your rose is just beautiful. I didn't even get to reading the rest of the posts but had to stop to comment on yours, just stunning.

BJ Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm
post #30 of 42

Spongemom:
Thank you for the compliment but I think Anya is right on my heals - icon_razz.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%