Baking By snarkybaker Updated 30 Jan 2014 , 6:16pm by Danilou

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 7:26am
post #31 of 69

Sounds delicious!! Thanks for posting!!

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 8:11pm
post #32 of 69

Thank you for sharing this. Can't wait to try it.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:47am
post #33 of 69

txkat, have you ever made this cake and frozen it? If so, at what point do you freeze it? After it's baked? After it's baked and the syrup has been brushed on?

Also, how much syrup do you brush on the cake? Just a little to moisten the top? Or do you put on a lot and really get the cake moist?

Sorry for the zillion questions. I really want to make this cake for a friend who is giving birth to her first child. I thought I'd get a jump start by baking it in advance and freezing it.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:06am
post #34 of 69

Thanks so much txkat.. for both your professionalism and your willingness to share. Good luck with your next cook book.. and when you do get it published.. let me know and I'll gladly order a copy!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:50pm
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by daranaco

txkat, have you ever made this cake and frozen it? If so, at what point do you freeze it? After it's baked? After it's baked and the syrup has been brushed on?

Also, how much syrup do you brush on the cake? Just a little to moisten the top? Or do you put on a lot and really get the cake moist?

Sorry for the zillion questions. I really want to make this cake for a friend who is giving birth to her first child. I thought I'd get a jump start by baking it in advance and freezing it.

I sometimes freeze cake, and this one has never suffered from being frozen for a few days. When I coat a cke with syrup. I brush it on right when it gets out of the oven - just a light coat taht will quickly soak in. Then when I torte and fill the cake, I brush each torted portion. The syrup keeps nicely in tupperwear, and there is no need to refrigerate it.

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #36 of 69

Wow. Thank you so much for posting the recipe. I had a few questions, though.

Quote:
Quote:

While the cake is still warm, you'll want to brush it with Vanilla Cointreau syrup. When I am making a wedding cake, I brush every torted layer with this. I use tahitian vanilla because it has a wonderful perfume. Any bean will do. It is very special.

Do you brush it over the cake before torting? I was wondering that because I don´t torte my cakes until they´ve cooled down so I was wondering when you did that in the process.

Also, what´s the white cream of cacao and where do you get that?

Thank you again and looking forward to your book.

Inma

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:06pm
post #37 of 69

Wow. Thank you so much for posting the recipe. I had a few questions, though.

Quote:
Quote:

While the cake is still warm, you'll want to brush it with Vanilla Cointreau syrup. When I am making a wedding cake, I brush every torted layer with this. I use tahitian vanilla because it has a wonderful perfume. Any bean will do. It is very special.

Do you brush it over the cake before torting? I was wondering that because I don´t torte my cakes until they´ve cooled down so I was wondering when you did that in the process.

Also, what´s the white cream of cacao and where do you get that?

Thank you again and looking forward to your book.

Inma

bubbiesbougie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbiesbougie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:18pm
post #38 of 69

What is Cointreau, Moscato, and white cream de cacao? And where do you get this stuff from.

Thanks
Jaclyn

bubbiesbougie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbiesbougie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:21pm
post #39 of 69

What is Cointreau, White Cream de cacao, and Moscato? and where do I get this from.

I have never heard of any of these.

Thanks,
jaclyn

daranaco Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:45pm
post #40 of 69

They are all liquor. Cointreau is an orange liquor. Moscato di Asti is "champagne" (sparkling wine). And white (clear) Creme de caco is a chocolate flavored liquor.

texasbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbecky Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:10pm
post #41 of 69

I am new to CC and have to say that I don't believe I have ever seen a more kind and sharing group of people. Thanks for the recipie. I will definately try it.

daranaco Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:14pm
post #42 of 69

txkat - I have a question about the orange curd recipe. How much frozen orange juice do you add? Do you omit some of the sugar?

I also have a question about the champagne BC, how sturdy is it? I think I'd like to use it on a cupcake bouquet but I'm afraid it would slide off.

TIA!

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm
post #43 of 69

I made the cake over the weekend, it was delicious!!! Thanks for posting!

LGL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LGL Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:31pm
post #44 of 69

Txkat -- your rule!

I saw the reference to mimosa cake & orange curd several days ago. I've spent an hour searching for it! So glad I finally found this link. Sounds delicious and I can't wait to make it. Thanks for posting.

How about a reprint on cookbook #1? icon_biggrin.gif

Do CC rules allow members to "advertise" things like cookbooks? I'd love to know when it is available. Sounds like we will have to wait for a while.

jmpearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmpearl Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #45 of 69

save

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #46 of 69

This looks fantastic...I can't wait to try it. And my husband loves that I'm starting to do cakes. He's a willing taste-tester!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #47 of 69

GLAD I FOUND THIS OLD POST!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #48 of 69

how is the texture of this cake.
can it be carved?

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:24am
post #49 of 69

yes it can be carved...but it is not a very sweet cake, and I don't particularly like it without a nice fruit filling, which can be a problem for carving.

fertluv3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fertluv3 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #50 of 69

I made this cake today and it is fabulous. Tried the buttercream the agg white/syrup part turned out fine but the last part was lumpy even though I added the butter one tablespoon at a time, so I discarded it and tried again only to have the same problem. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #51 of 69

I am betting you needed to beat it longer.

snarkybaker - this really sounds wonderful! Have you made your 2nd cookbook yet?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #52 of 69

Moscato is the ONLY wine I LOVE! I'm going to have to try this recipe.

jillangeles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangeles Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:52am
post #53 of 69

Thanks for sharing....I would love to try this someday!

fertluv3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fertluv3 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I am betting you needed to beat it longer.

snarkybaker - this really sounds wonderful! Have you made your 2nd cookbook yet?

I am trying it again today and will beat it longer. Thanks so much for the advise!!!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #55 of 69

This recipe sounds AWESOME!!! Thank you sooooo much for sharing!

I've been trying to think of something different (besides chocolate or vanilla that everyone always asks for) for my mom's birthday in April. I think I'm going to try the passion-fruit curd recipe just the way it is and pair it with white chocolate cake. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:51pm
post #56 of 69

That does sound good!! icon_biggrin.gif

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #57 of 69

Mmmmmm sounds like I just found our Easter cake for this year. Thanks for the post.

deesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesweets Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #58 of 69

I do not see any vanilla listed in the ingredients for the cake or the frosting. Is this correct or is it missing.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:01am
post #59 of 69

yum...

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:48am
post #60 of 69

Happiness exists on earth, and it is won through prudent exercise of reason, knowledge of the harmony of the universe, and constant practice of generosity. ~ Jose Marti

Thank you, Snarky, for giving us so much happiness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%