Covering Cake Boards?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 26 Jun 2005 , 11:04am by veejaytx

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 31

What do you use to cover your cake boards? The Wilton foil is hard to come by around here and i've only seen gold & silver. I like the florist foils, as they come in more colors, but I have heard they are not food-safe? Is this true? My last two cakes I've used tinfoil, but i don't like the shiny look of it and when you cut the cake, you get slivers of tinfoil - not nice! I'd like to hear what everyone else is doing!

30 replies
naekramer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naekramer Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 31
tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 31

I use anything from tin foil to wrapping paper to cloth, then i use contact paper to cover it; therfore it can be used over and over.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 12:02am
post #4 of 31

I went to my local party/ craft store and bought some cellophane and cover the boards. They have some really nice colors as well as themed papers.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 7:59am
post #5 of 31

cellophane...that's a good idea!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 31

I love using wrapping paper and then clear cello wrap. I have also used patterned tissue paper with clear cello wrap. For a plain look you can use white freezer paper.
traci

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 1:21am
post #7 of 31

i use contact paper.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 3:29am
post #8 of 31

The florist foil is fine, like with any other covering where the cake will sit directly, you should wash it off, I use a mild bleach solution. Materials should also be washed. As long as what you are using is lead free and wrapping papers and foils must be lead free, you are fine.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 31

i like to use contac paper...especially in the marble-print variety...it's looks really spiffy. this is especially handy if you're gluing two or more boards together, as the contact paper (adhesive vinyl) wraps around both boards.

i would never use bleach to clean anything anyone was going to eat or have contact with food. i know that there's chlorine in the water i drink (better that than cholera), but i'm very sensitive to bleach and can smell and taste in on commercially-prepared salads and other foods.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 31

Aunt Judy, that is why I said a weak bleach solution. I then use a clean wet cloth to rinse. Contact plastics are not clean to use without washing them off first before food comes into contact with them. Actually bleach has been used for many years in restaurants and bakeries and anywhere where there is food preparation. The purpose is strictly to disinfect and it does a more thorough job than a lot of other products. All of the commercial bakeries I am aware of also bleach the icing bags and all work surfaces, many of them using the bleach directly on the surfaces.
It is actually safer to use than any of the soaps that have scents added to them.
I am always surprised that folks thing that having used a weak bleach solution will contaminate food, it does not, but of course you rinse with clear water afterwards.
I am also surprised at how many folks buy the foil covered boards and do not clean them off before using them, people have handled these and there is dust on them also. Also when using material it too mush be washed due to the fact that sizing is used in fabrics.
I too am sensitive to bleach but use it anyway to be safe.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 31

My dh thinks I should have stock in Clorox-I use bleach for everything-I wash my bags in bleach water, add it to the dishwasher, etc.Not alot, mind you-just enough to do the work-with plastic especially-grease just sticks to it even with good detergent. I feel much safer with a wipedown of a bleachmixture-the clorox wipes etc all have bleach in them....I wash new clothes before wearing them-same with new dishes-wash before using.....

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 31

i just use tin foil

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 31

It is a Department of Health regulation in NY that you must wash all food prep surfaces, utensils, etc. with a bleach solution. Even vegetables, such as lettuce are supposed to be washed in such a solution for food safety.

I bought some florist foil to use on my cake boards (i currently use the cardboard circles) and will make sure i wash the foil first. I don't like to use tinfoil unless i'm in a pinch, as I've had people not cut the cakes carefully and get tinfoil in the slices. I'm a hobbyist and don't charge for cakes because of all the regulations, but it's still embarrassing to get tinfoil slivers in the slices!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 31

I keep a small bottle of bleach by my sink and use just a little in all my dishwater.. I've done this for years... I just feel better about things being disinfected.. I wouldn't want anyone to get sick from something not being completely disinfected.. I rinsed everything thoroughly so I doubt anyone would even know that I've used bleach at all icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 2:08am
post #15 of 31

I keep hearing that about tinfoil slivers in cake slices, and quite honestly, I cannot figure out how this happens or if it does, why it isn't noticable. Is it just me or wouldn't the fact a piece of foil was stuck to the bottom of the cake be fairly obvious? There will be a piece of foil missing from the cake board, for one thing. Don't most folks put the slice of cake on its side or do they stand it upright like you would for a square of sheet cake? I would think people are using heavy duty foil and that stuff is hard to get slivers of foil from.
I actually have seen posts saying aluminim foil is not food safe. Now aluminim foil has been used for many years in food production. Other than some studies showing a high concentration of aluminum in Alzeimer's patients, I cannot image anyone cutting their throat on a piece of aluminum foil.
To me the drawback on using it is people do not apply it correctly and it always seem to look really crinkly and wrinkled, not smooth. That drives me nuts when I see a gorgeous cake on a wrinkled up tinfoil covered board. Haha, I got myself into trouble on the Wilton site one time about that. There was a new decorator who turned out some of the nicest and most perfect cakes I had ever seen and she asked for critiques. Basically I told her that she could charge hundreds and even thousands of dollars for her cakes but that the tinfoil covered boards detracted from her amazing work. Well she was offended and none of the many compliments I made mattered.
So if you are going to use tinfoil, roll out a piece and cut it very carefully so as not to get any wrinkles in it, it can be done. Then lay the foil on a very flat and smooth surface, dull side up. Put your board on top of it and very carefully smooth it to the board and tape or glue. Cut the tinfoil in strips close to the edge of the board, like a fringe really. Then you avoid a lot of bulk when you smooth it to the surface.
Hugs Squirrely Cakes

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 3:58am
post #16 of 31

I agree with you Squirrelly, a messy covering, or lack of a covering on a cake board can completely take away from an otherwise beautiful cake!

Another thing that turns me off is when frosting is not smoothed...after all the discussion we have here on the methods of smoothing, some still don't!

I don't know how anybody could think foil is unsafe; we bake in it, wrap in it, barbeque in it, and have for many years! It just doesn't make the best covering for a cake board! Janice

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 4:02am
post #17 of 31

Hi all,

If I'm making a really special cake I cover the cake board in icing and always a shade lighter than the icing on the cake.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 4:10am
post #18 of 31

I don't quite understand why folks feel cellophane is safer than tinfoil because it is actually a lot easier to cut into cellophane or rip it than it is to rip aluminum foil. I would have no qualms using either when that is what I have. I guess I steer away from foil for the main cake board, but will use it for the support boards for a stacked cake and again, it is really for looks more than anything, that I avoid it.
Yes icing or fondant makes a lovely covering on a board!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

nanni Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 10:43am
post #19 of 31

I still like tissue paper and clear contact paper for some cakes, floral foil for others-tin foil has tons of purposes and is wonderful-just not to put your main cake on-but that is just my opinion-we each have one and whatever works that we are happy with.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:23pm
post #20 of 31

I suspect a lot of folks use tinfoil, because they feel it is safe, which it is and they feel it is cheaper. Definitely much cheaper than Wilton's that is for sure. A bit cheaper than floral foil too. But the thing is, some foil wrapping papers are pretty cheap too and some have nice designs. Sometimes after Christmas you can get some terrific deals on foil wrapping papers in the huge rolls, perfect for your largest boards. For smaller boards, you can use lots of things from the dollar store. Sometimes fabric remnants are really cheap, I got 60 inch organza for .75 a yard. Plus it is washable and re-usable. Some folks use white freezer paper, not my choice, but it works for a lot of folks. I have used crushed velvet and moire and dozens of fabric scraps. Paper wrapping paper with the top covered with clear contact paper.
This is just my opinion, but I think the board is every bit as important as the cake and the choice of covering makes a huge difference in the presentation. Just as a stand for a wedding cake makes a huge difference.
I recently did a simple sandcastle cake. I used brown paper to cover the board and covered over the top with plastic clear contact paper. It blended in better than if I had put the cake on the typical Wilton silver foil.
One thing that bothers me is when people put a 50 anniversary cake with all gold trims on the silver foil covered board. Just a pet peeve of mine but Hallmark makes a huge roll of gold foil, it is cheap when you consider how much foil you get.
Tissue paper is very cheap and so is clear contact plastic, you can get them at dollar stores. Patterned vinyl contact paper is also very cheap, again available at dollar stores and generally sold as shelf liner. You can buy huge rolls of vinyl, called oilcloth in some areas, that is used to cover picnic tables and such. Very cheap and washable. Cheap plastic shower curtains can be cut up to cover many boards too.
Ribbon. lace, cording and braiding makes a nice trim along the edge of your covered boards too, really dresses them up.
When you are fancying up the board, take that into consideration as part of the cost of making the cake so that you get your money back.
Hugs SQuirrely Cakes

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:28pm
post #21 of 31

Great ideas sguirrelly!!! I just don't like using tin foil on a board that will be showing. It takes away from the look of the cake, and looks less professional ( just my opinion). As for the gold and silver thing.... I agree!!! But I'm like that in the real world too, not just the cake world. I had to switch the door knob in the boathroom because all the fixtures were silver and the knob was gold... it drove me nuts!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:58pm
post #22 of 31

Oh gosh, Peacock Place, are we related, haha! You sound like me. Our last house, I had the bathrooms redone and because I had put gold or brass covered lever doorhandles on all of the doors, I had to have the bathroom faucet and handles in gold and chrome, it bothered me to have them all chrome, because of the door handle. Haha, can you say anal!
I think the tinfoil looks a lot better when folks put a paper doily over it. But certainly I can understand folks using it for their class cakes - or for home use. I just really wish that they would not make it wrinkly looking because it detracts so much from their lovely work. I have seen a few cakes submitted to contests like that and I often wonder if the cakes would have been judged higher for presentation marks if they had used a nicer covering.
I suspect a lot of people don't think about it, they see the cake, we see the boards.
Haha, I guess we are all different!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

nanni Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 7:11pm
post #23 of 31

Presentation is alway a key factor-we use it in ourselves-the you never get a second chance to make a first impression thing...alot of people see the cakes people make-not just the customer-presentation can make or break a sale for you...take pride in your hard work and do what you can to show it off-you certainly earned that right!! As far as the chrome/gold situation-I too have changed a complete bathroom to make stuff match-same with doorknobs-I hate mixture-call it eclectic if you will but I call it yuck!Thats the first thing I noticed when we walked through our house when we were househunting!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 7:26am
post #24 of 31

I have a new idea for everyone!!!!

I finally went to Party City. I had never gone before. I bought some of those plastic tablecloths for the DOS I'm having. The tableclothes only cost $1.25 for large rectangle & oval sizes!! I have been using them to cover cake boards!!! Works like a charm!!

Try it!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 5:28am
post #25 of 31

Just an update, I am working on cake board coverings for a tutorial, I am trying out a few different ways I have thought of to get the same look, seeing which one would likely work easier for folks. I try a bit every day but have a few things on my plate until the middle of July, so it may take awhile to get this together.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

veejaytx Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 10:05am
post #26 of 31

That's ok Squirrelly, we appreciate your taking the time to put this together, we will be waiting patiently! Janice

marilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marilyn Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 1:17pm
post #27 of 31

I used to use aluminum foil, until at one wedding I noticed there were dark smuges on the icing where the cake server (Im guessing it was silver) was sliceing and serving the cake. I don't know if the two different metals have some kind of reaction to each other, but I have never wanted to take a chance on that again. (Im sure the server was clean)

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 5:55am
post #28 of 31

I recently purchased a roll of the Wilton Silver Fanci-foil at my local Michaels. It was $7.99 for a 20x 15 roll. I probably could have found something just as good for cheaper but this hopefully with remain intact while the cakes get cut. No more aluminum foil pieces in the cakes, especially for the one I charge for. Right now I figure I can just add $.75 into my pricing for materials and recoup the cost of the foil. I should be able to get about 10 cakes out of a roll quite easily. I am still using the Wilton cardboard cake boards, easier to store a few packs of them at this time as opposed to several non-disposable boards. The foil helps with the presentation, no greasy cake boards.

I have seen foil on the bottom of some of my cakes when people choose to cut the cake with a serrated knife. The knife actually catches the foil and then when the piece of cake is removed the foil sticks to it. My in-laws are infamous for this they hack into the cake and even into the cake board like they are cutting a steak. It is a challenge to get them to just gently cut the cake and remove a piece. When doing a cake I know I will be cutting I take a few minutes and use regular heavy-duty aluminum foil. It only takes a few minutes to put it on nice and smooth.

veejaytx Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 9:17am
post #29 of 31

Hey, Alan, you need to get your inlaws a Kake Kut'r, they are great, no more cuts in foil or anything else you cover boards with. QVC sells them, also sometimes on eBay, BettyCrocker.com, etc., check out www.cakecutter.com/ or do a Google search. Once I found them I gave all my family a set for Christmas! Janice

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 10:25am
post #30 of 31

Veejaytx, That cake cutter is pretty neat. Looks like it would be good for getting the right serving size too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%