I See A Problem Coming And Want To Make Cake One Step Ahead.

Decorating By stylishbite Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 3:24am by msauer

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:29am
post #1 of 15

I'll try to be short. Customer is having party for getting RN degree. He is already a surgery scrub tech. His mom is having a party. He told her he wanted her to get his cake from me. She called wanted me to del. cake for free (10 miles each way) told me to make "something differnt, unique" to feed 40 people. I said del would be extra, which ticked her off, because she would too busy getting ready for the party. So then she said her husband would come get it. I said how about 11a.m. (party @ 2) plus I have plans that day. She says that's too early how about 12:30 to 1:00? I said okay, even though I hate "wait windows"!
THEN, she ask how much? I typically charge $2 per serving, but my DH is pretty good friend with her son, (but not enough for invite to family party) so I charged $1.60 or around that, total was $65. She screamed at me. "That's crazy, I need to call you back" Her husband was in the background saying, that's too high get him one at Wal-mart icon_eek.gif About 20 min later, phone rings, as I answer, she belts out without even saying who she was, "ok order it, cause he want it, does it cost more to get 1/2 white 1/2 choco?" Knowing who it was, but bothered by her rudeness, I said "I'm sorry, who is this? icon_smile.gif I told her no it didn't cost extra for 1/2 & 1/2, which she's says "damn I'm suprised!" Before I could say anything else she said "ok then it's DONE!" and hung up. icon_eek.gif
DERN! I really wish she had not wanted this cake! I can tell she's not going to happy no matter what I make I'd like to come up with a WOW cake, that she can't fuss about!
My orginal plan was for a carved body of Milton Bradley Operation game cake.
DH thinks I should keep idea, but make the head of the body 3-d with the sports ball pan. I can't picture it, even when I draw it, it looks odd.
HELP! I would love to here ANY suggestions!
I have a nurse candy mold set that has a pill bottle, needle, nurse plaque and so on, if that helps.
TIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 replies
naotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naotter Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:20am
post #2 of 15

I have a couple - but I don't know if they will help.

1.) I saw on a website - where they made hearts, and other organs for cakes - that is a possibility.

2.) Make a nurses hat or bag and either mold the chocolate or sugar paste to the asprin bottle, and stuff.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:06am
post #3 of 15

you probably should have asked for payment in advance. Be prepared for them not to have the money.

No money..no cake.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 15

I don't really have any suggestions for you, just wanted to say GOOD LUCK! She sounds like a royal pain!!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 15

Operation sounds really cool.....how about making the little parts that stick out (funny bone, heart, butterfly in the stomach) out of fondant and then placing on wires and having them POP out of the cake?

Just a thought! And don't let that cake leave your house w/o payment!

april

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 15

I like the operation idea! I'm trying to think back to when my mom graduated from nursing school (I was 10). For a woman, I might do a 3D nurses hat, but I'm not sure that's appropriate for a man.

I'm sorry the mother is a pain, but I say go w/what feels right to you. Think of the person the cake is for and not about the parents. How ridiculous that they should be so rude! I also think you need to get a deposit and make sure that they know they are getting a significant discount. If she's not happy with the cake, oh well. If your husband's friend is happy with it, then that's what matters.

Good luck!!!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 15

The "operation" game cake sounds really unique. Go with it!! Great idea.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 15

How rude!! I'm sure you were tempted to tell her you'd gotten another order for that day and couldn't help her out. It sounds as though she is having a tough time "swallowing" the price for the cake, but her son wants the cake from you so she is willing to do it for his happiness. I have no doubt she'll come through with the money and will no doubt be blown away by the cake you do. She may not order again but hopefully will at least feel like an ass for having the nerve to think or ordering from Walmart.
I can't wait to see what you come up with ...the operation idea is great..I think I've seen it done before..maybe on CC or somewhere on the web.

Cindy

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 15

I see you may have a husband like mine - knows little about cakes and cake decorating, but LOVES to give input! icon_smile.gif My guy is very supportive and helpful, like yesterday when I used my Hobby Lobby 1/2 off Wilton coupon even though we are so tight on money right now. I have a groom's cake for Friday to make and he has already told me what I should do to make it better than what I have planned! He means well though. icon_wink.gif

Good luck w/ this one, sounds fun - not!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 15

What's the deal with her being upset that you don't deliver for free? icon_confused.gif Have her try asking Walmart to do that and then getting pissy that they don't.
The operation cake sounds like a good idea, I can't picture it with a ball head though, maybe it's just me.
I'd be worried about the payment, that and her calling back saying something wasn't right so you need to give her money back.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I'd be worried about the payment, that and her calling back saying something wasn't right so you need to give her money back.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too- Who is paying for the cake? And do they already know that you required payment upfront (or some of it- whatever the procedure is). Absolutely this looks like a whiner in the making (her hubby in the background saying go to Walmart- sorry if that were me I'd have nicely called her back and said 'we werent finished with business yet' or 'you hung up so quickly before we got to work out payment details or other details'
IF she then squabbles ore gets rude, then I dont care who she is friends with, I would (and again this is just me) have suggested maybe she should get her cake at Walmart. Sounds like you have anticipated this is goingto be a doosie.
Tough call if you need the money. I personally dont do business with people who are rude to me on the phone or elsewhere. Or unless we have a little chitchat about it (and I have). But I always make sure my ass is covered so if they were to pull something at the end, like wanting money back, I would say (never happened yet) 'no money, no website, sorry)

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 15

oh my...the nerve of some people. you handled yourself well, which is the only thing you can control. don't let her get to you...do your job and i'm sure the cake will be great.
i love the operation idea. please post no matter what you decide.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:07am
post #14 of 15

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I have decided to keep the operation plan. Not sure about the head thing though!
After way too much thought and worry DH and I decided to just do it like I would for anyone else. Why go above and beyond for someone so hard to please, at a reduced rate, who will hopefully not order again anyway icon_biggrin.gif
On a side note. I am so blessed with wonderful neighbors! I told my friend as we walked our dogs 2- night, about this lady. She said if she doesn't get or pay for the cake ( I too am concerned about that!) she would buy it and give it to her staff as a treat.
So theres hope! Nice people really do exist.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:24am
post #15 of 15

I think that it says a lot for you that this person (RN) requested YOU make the cake- no matter what his mother says. In the end, I am sure the cake will be a hit with him and he will make sure you get paid one way or another...even if he has to pay for it out of his own pocket. I think this reflects more on the parents being too cheap when it comes to celebrating their son's accomplishments.

Nine chances out of ten says that when the mother sees how much he likes the cake she will be happy that she decided to buy from you.

Here's your chance to make her eat her words (and her cake)!
icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

YOU GO GIRL!!!! You can do it. Stay positive...take the high road!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%