Dr'd Recipes

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 14 Jun 2005 , 3:14am by SquirrellyCakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 1:57am
post #1 of 34

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone every noticed small pink dots in the batter? I see them when I start mixing all the ingredients together. I use cake mixes & add sour cream & a few other things too. I guess there coming from the cake mix. If you have any idea please share! Thanks~ thumbs_up.gif

33 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:25am
post #2 of 34

That's not something I have noticed. I tried a cake with extender last weekend--used yogurt in the mix. It was DISCUSTING!! It tasted sour-like buckwheat pancakes. (I didn't refridgerate it Should I have?) Thank goodness it was just for my family icon_eek.gif

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:00am
post #3 of 34

My guess is the it is the dye used to color the cake. All cake mixes I think have some sort of food coloring.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:09am
post #4 of 34

Heehee, well I have never seen pink dots, hhmn, pink elephants maybe!
Yuck, yogurt doesn't appeal to me in a cake! Ewwhh! Sour cream is good though. Not all Extendacake recipes are created equal.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 4:58am
post #5 of 34

Well hopefully someone can solve this mystery!! LOL!! Pink elephants... hmmmmmm maybe I need another drink... just joking! I'm drinking frozen pepsi lime! LOL!!!

Hey Squirrely... Guess what my son Dr. Doolittle brought home today???? I'm gonna let you guess then I'll tell you if you got it right. That boy is going to be the death of me!!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 34

Yes! Alot of times I do see dots of color in the cake mix and then in the batter but I think I see more of an orange color after I make up the batter. I meant to post that question a while ago. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one that have seen this.

sweetbaker Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 34

Oops forgot to mention that I haven't used any cake extender recipes so this only happens with just the cake mix itself

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 34

I've seen the orange specs too! I think it's just the artificial coloring that is used in the mix! It seems to disappear after baking!

Sweetbakes..what part of MD are you in? That's my home state..well, it used to be until we moved to VA a few years ago!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 34

Hey Turtlelady,
Hhmn, an incubator to hatch the eggs? A Mommy and Daddy Snake?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 34

LOL you guys crack me up! Pink elephants! Already this morning???

I have seen the orange specs too. Never have tried the cake extendar, just the cake mix. I just hoped really hard that it was supposed to be there and baked it any way icon_lol.gif

Hope you got rid of those snake eggs!!! I think I would freak out!! That is one thing that I am terrified of!!

Charlotte

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 34

I made a classic white cake from a mix last night and saw pink specks in it , but they're gone after mixing.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 34

When using the doctored mix do you find that your cakes bake differently than just using the box mix as is???

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 34

Yes, doctoring a mix usually results in a longer baking time, particularly with adding milk instead of water. Sour cream has a tendency to create a bit of sinking in the middle, particularly if more than 1/2 cup is added. I don't find that following the box instructions but adding an instant pudding mix has any effect on the way the cake cooks though.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 34

yeah i am using the extender from this site it uses 2 cup yogurt in the mix. the cakes taste yummy but man it take forever for this things to cook.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 5:53pm
post #15 of 34

Haven't tried that one as it seems to have mixed reviews. I have used Auzzi's and I like that one very much.
Somehow the thought of yogurt, turns me off, haha! I don't like the taste of it in any recipes I have tried it, but then I don't like yogurt. I do like frozen chocolate yogurt when it tastes like icecream, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 5:57pm
post #16 of 34

If you use sour cream or yogurt do you have to refridgerate the cake?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 6:37pm
post #17 of 34

Not if it is cooked into the cake, if it is used as an filling then yes. Generally cakes without fillings that require refridgeration, are fine at room temperatures of below 75 F.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 34

Wanted to add, most cakes don't require refridgeration based on the cake itself. An exception would be a cheesecake or a cake with a dairy product filling or icing that is mainly that dairy product, like whipped cream or a pudding or custard filling, something with mainly eggs or cheese as the filling. Icing made with a bit of cream or milk and butter is fine at room temperature for 2-3 days, likely longer, but again below 75F.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

sweetbaker Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 7:00pm
post #19 of 34

Hi Missey. I'm in Rockville. Elaine

tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 3:49am
post #20 of 34

I'm glad it wasn't just me!!!! Maybe the specks are orange. Yes, they do go away when I mix everything together.

The cake I always make takes a lot longer to bake. I did a character pan last night & it took over an hour to bake. Squirrely... I've noticed that the middle is a little sunk, thanks for clearing that up. I use 1 c. sourcream in all my cakes. Should I go down to 1/2 c? They are soooooooo good!!

Oh by the way Squirrely... it wasn't snake eggs... It was a coyote..... the poor thing was ran over & killed (not by them though). The idiots put it in the truck to come home & get the skin from it... NOT!!! I wouldn't let them! Then they put it in the trash can to scare the trashmen.. I wouldn't let them do that either! I made them take it out to the woods. I told my son that if he brings any other animal dead or alive, shelled or not that he wasn't using my van anymore! That I would take him back & forth to work!! I hope that works!! Ya'll keep your fingers crossed for me!! LOL!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 4:13am
post #21 of 34

Heehee, Turtlelady, that son of yours keeps you on your toes! Guess it makes life interesting, haha!
You could try reducing to 1/2 cup and see if it sinks as much. I find most of the cakes that have sour cream in them do tend to sink a bit in the middle. Likely just the richness of the ingredients.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 4:42am
post #22 of 34

Thanks Squirrely~
It doesn't sink much but I do see a little bit of a sink hole. I usually just add a little more icing in that spot just in case it makes the cake unlevel.

OH... I tried using the tip m0use shared. The one when you put the pan of water in the stove w/ the cake. It worked great!! I didn't have to do any leveling at all!! It's so good to have advice & tips to go by to get better & better at decorating & baking!! If you see this m0use thanks! I didn't even use a flower nail. That's the main reason why I used the pan of water because I forgot the nail.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 5:18am
post #23 of 34

The pan of water thing also works wonderfully well to stop your cheesecakes from cracking on the top or in the centre. Quite amazing really and a heck of a lot easier than a water bath, just put a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven!
Heehee, maybe if I put a pan of water in every room, I wouldn't crack er wrinkle? Ohoh, too late!
hugs Squirrelly Cakes

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 8:00pm
post #24 of 34

hahahahahaa Squirrelly Cakes!!! LOL icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 8:14pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Thanks Squirrely~
It doesn't sink much but I do see a little bit of a sink hole. I usually just add a little more icing in that spot just in case it makes the cake unlevel.

OH... I tried using the tip m0use shared. The one when you put the pan of water in the stove w/ the cake. It worked great!! I didn't have to do any leveling at all!! It's so good to have advice & tips to go by to get better & better at decorating & baking!! If you see this m0use thanks! I didn't even use a flower nail. That's the main reason why I used the pan of water because I forgot the nail.

Your welcome TC. I use a pan of water all the time, it works great!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 1:40am
post #26 of 34

Hey guys! I've been gone all weekend on a church youth canoe trip. I'm so tired!!!! I just had to check in. I've seen little orange spots too! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 3:31pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Haven't tried that one as it seems to have mixed reviews. I have used Auzzi's and I like that one very much.
Somehow the thought of yogurt, turns me off, haha! I don't like the taste of it in any recipes I have tried it, but then I don't like yogurt. I do like frozen chocolate yogurt when it tastes like icecream, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

I used the cake extender in a low-fat/cholesterohl (spelling??) chocolate cake recipe, and I used vanilla low-fat yougurt (not the plain stuff that to me is more sour than sour cream) and it made the chocolate cake taste sooo good, and soooo moist.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 2:08am
post #28 of 34

mOuse, interesting, my favourite frozen yogurt is chocolate. I am beginning to believe that chocolate can make anything taste better, even yogurt, haha!
I find that white cakes are more prone to not work as well with things than chocolate. Chocolate seems to go well with buttermilk, sourmilk, mayonaisse, sourcream, just about anything.
Hugs Squirrelly

tcturtleshell Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 6:19am
post #29 of 34

Oh, Squirrely Your on a roll tonight! I'm cracking up!!! Pans of water in each room, LOL!!!!!! Good one!!!

Peacock, I noticed you were gone! How did the trip go? It sounds like great fun!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 1:38pm
post #30 of 34

It was a blast! I'm so sore though.... We rowed 33 miles in three days. icon_eek.gif That's a first for me. I'm still trying to catch up on all the stuff I missed while I was gone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%