My Dog Ate My Cake!!!!!

Decorating By cryssi Updated 9 Aug 2006 , 5:18am by keriskreations

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:07am
post #1 of 44

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

My watermelon cake was on the kitchen table drying the buttercream, and I was outside tying up some of my plants. I was out of sight of the cake for about 2 minutes...when I got inside icon_surprised.gif THE DOG WAS EATING MY CAKE!!!!! I cut off the part she was eating, so now it's kind of lopsided.

I guess my question is...do I finish it off with fondant, or throw it away? I don't know how I'd feel eating a cake that I knew someone's dog attacked, even if it was a small area on the side.

I had told DH to watch the dog for a minute and make sure she didn't eat the cake and he got mad at me for leaving the cake within her reach!?!

So...what do I do?? I have another cake baked in the fridge...I just wasn't too crazy about the flavor. I still have a lot of BC too...

help! please!

43 replies
ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:13am
post #2 of 44

THROW IT AWAY.....your dog ate the part you can obviously see, but you don't know what part was licked or sniffed at first.

cryssi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:14am
post #3 of 44

yeah, that's what i thought...

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:14am
post #4 of 44

Throw it out, and get busy making a new one! icon_smile.gif

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:14am
post #5 of 44

I would not eat that cake! I wouldn´t eat it even it was just for my family much less if I wanted to sell it... I would be grossed out. Use the one in the refrigerator.

I´m sorry to hear that, though. icon_cry.gif

Inma

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:14am
post #6 of 44

OMG!!!! That is soo funny! icon_lol.gif Sorry , don't mean to sound mean, but I love animals and can see this happening in my house! I hate to say it, but unless you plan on having the cake just for "show" , you need to go back to the drawing board and start from fresh. As much as I love my animals , I can't imagine eating something after they'd sampled it....let alone anyone else who doesn't share the same animal afinity. Chin up.....sounds like you already have a backup plan. Good luck with it.

icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:15am
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryssi

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

My watermelon cake was on the kitchen table drying the buttercream, and I was outside tying up some of my plants. I was out of sight of the cake for about 2 minutes...when I got inside icon_surprised.gif THE DOG WAS EATING MY CAKE!!!!! I cut off the part she was eating, so now it's kind of lopsided.

I guess my question is...do I finish it off with fondant, or throw it away? I don't know how I'd feel eating a cake that I knew someone's dog attacked, even if it was a small area on the side.

I had told DH to watch the dog for a minute and make sure she didn't eat the cake and he got mad at me for leaving the cake within her reach!?!

So...what do I do?? I have another cake baked in the fridge...I just wasn't too crazy about the flavor. I still have a lot of BC too...

help! please!

If the cake is for you that's a judgment call you are going to have to make.

If you are giving it to someone, I would definately tell you to pitch it and make them a new one. Thank goodness I don't have pets to worry about this sort of thing.

cryssi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:18am
post #8 of 44

I know, I know...I was just SO disappointed! I don't think anyone will really like the flavor strawberry starfruit with chocolate chips...but then again you never know. I was going to eat that extra cake, too, but thought I should wait in case of a disaster...

yup, this qualifies as a disaster! I'm sure I'll laugh about it tomorrow...I just have so much to do and no time for this nonsense! LOL

Shenzi (the dog) is totally trying to apologize for making me mad, too, but I'm ignoring her b/c I'm still mad...

cryssi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:19am
post #9 of 44

Now that I have cooled off and am thinking clearly, of course I am throwing it out! I wish my pet wasn't in the house...or didn't try to get on the kitchen table any chance she gets...

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:20am
post #10 of 44

If the cake was for my in-laws I would have to try really hard to be good and not give it to them icon_evil.gif No seriously I would toss it. Like someone else said you really don't know what part was licked or sniffed at. Better safe than sorry I always say.

cryssi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:22am
post #11 of 44

ROFL!

Thanks you guys! I'm so glad that there is a place I can vent about my cake! icon_smile.gif (and persuade me to not feed this cake to people we...um...are not very fond of???)

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:25am
post #12 of 44

I know how you feel, my lad is too old to get up to the counter, but my sister has a little hound that is the worst for jumping up and stealing things when nobody is looking.
But I would definitly throw it away.

cryssi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:03am
post #13 of 44

ok! the reserve cake is trimmed and frosted...I'm waiting for the BC to crust before I put on the fondant. Apparently, Shenzi knocked the fondant (plastic wrapped, of course) on the floor and there is no way of knowing what she did to it...so lesson learned from the cake...I redid the fondant. Luckily, I had only colored 1/2 of the MMF recipe, so it wasn't as if I had to REDO it...

11pm now, hopefully I won't be up all night...

cryssi Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 7:59am
post #14 of 44

well, it's done. I'm a little unhappy with it - but that's b/c I'm inexperienced and this is only my 2nd fondant cake...guess I'm not ready for wedding cakes yet! Does wilton do fondant classes? I certainly could use one...I have trouble with the skirt of the cake (I don't know what you call it). I don't know how to get it smooth. Maybe I need some kind of stand...

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:44am
post #15 of 44

cryssi, wilton does do fondant classes ,but toget the bottom of the cake smooth you should get a stand(i use a tall coffee can with the cake on a cake board onto) then drape the fondant ontop and let the extras hang off but make sure to not just let it sit there or the fondant will stretch down. You should start cutting away at any extras. Then when you get to the bottom endge of the cake and fondant just tuck it underneath(make sure ot get all the extra fondant you can before tucking though, you don't want to tuck to much under).

Sorry about the cake though! Silly pets always wanting some. I'm pretty bad because if it was for me i'd just cut off the eaten part and eat away. LOL But for a customer i'd make a new one. The dog slobby is what makes it 'special'. thumbs_up.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:52pm
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about the cake though! Silly pets always wanting some. I'm pretty bad because if it was for me i'd just cut off the eaten part and eat away. LOL But for a customer i'd make a new one.

Thank you for saying that. I was beginning to think I was the only who reclaimed dog tasted and dog approved baked goods. I didn't try to save the fresh loaf a bread she had eaten three quarters of and drug into her bed. However, the butterscotch meringue pie that she carefully licked half of the filling out of without ever crumbling the crust, I saved. I simply cut off the edge and tossed the emply crust. icon_eek.gif Lizzie- a standard poodle - doesn't get on the table. She is tall enough to take things off the counters which includes removing toast from the toaster if you leave the kitchen unsupervised. She also enjoys sticks of butter left out to soften. Poodles stand easily on their hind legs, so one quickly learns to either put all foods away or place items out of reach. icon_rolleyes.gif

FerretDeprived Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 44

Hehe I have a german shepherd. They're so smart(as are poodles!) Dolly somehoe fgured out how to get a bit of my holloween cake. It was on the highest counter i have and in the way back hitting the wall, so somehow she had grown 4 more feet to get to it. I wasn;t so surprise at her getting it as much as her getting a clean bite without tipping the cake or moving it or anything. icon_confused.gif Boy did she lick her lips that night. LOL

I'm weird in that i don't mind my dog licking things so much. I mean as logn as she hasn;t JUST licked her area i really coudl care less. She's a very clean dog and i take care of her(brush her teeth alot). I make sure she has good food and she doesn't smell or have any bad breath. I seriously think her mouth is cleaner than mine LOL.

Same with ferrets. They'e so cute and they're toungues are so tiny i don't care if they take a lick as logn as they're healthy little buggers. icon_lol.gif

But i'm weird like that. Lol

((Just to say i'm really amazed at any german shepherd or poodles intelegence. Our back door has a round knob ,and dolly jsut had to watch me open and close the door. Now whenever she wants in she isn't jsut randomly scratchin at the door. She purposely goes for the knob. If she had thumbs she'd have that door open. Poor girl. icon_razz.gif )

FerretDeprived Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 44

Hehe I have a german shepherd. They're so smart(as are poodles!) Dolly somehoe fgured out how to get a bit of my holloween cake. It was on the highest counter i have and in the way back hitting the wall, so somehow she had grown 4 more feet to get to it. I wasn;t so surprise at her getting it as much as her getting a clean bite without tipping the cake or moving it or anything. icon_confused.gif Boy did she lick her lips that night. LOL

I'm weird in that i don't mind my dog licking things so much. I mean as logn as she hasn;t JUST licked her area i really coudl care less. She's a very clean dog and i take care of her(brush her teeth alot). I make sure she has good food and she doesn't smell or have any bad breath. I seriously think her mouth is cleaner than mine LOL.

Same with ferrets. They'e so cute and they're toungues are so tiny i don't care if they take a lick as logn as they're healthy little buggers. icon_lol.gif

But i'm weird like that. Lol

((Just to say i'm really amazed at any german shepherd or poodles intelegence. Our back door has a round knob ,and dolly jsut had to watch me open and close the door. Now whenever she wants in she isn't jsut randomly scratchin at the door. She purposely goes for the knob. If she had thumbs she'd have that door open. Poor girl. icon_razz.gif )

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 5:39pm
post #19 of 44

We rescued our golden retriever last August, when he was about 2. We've broken almost all of his bad habits, except for completely eliminating the counter surfing. He is good 95% of the time, but if you leave the room he gets very tempted so I can completly sympthize with you! If I have to leave the kitchen and I have a cake I'm working on, I either put it on top of the kitchen cabinets (where even I need a stool to get to it) or I have my husband stand in front of it to guard it.
Recently, I came home from class and had some fondant in my bag, in a ziplock baggie that had opened on the way home. I put my bag down and Maverick immediatly stuck his head in and started licking! I had to cut that piece off (and more attached to it just in case) and decided it would be practice fondant. I was still mad at him-it's like he was waiting for it! tapedshut.gif

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:19am
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

OMG!!!! That is soo funny! icon_lol.gif Sorry , don't mean to sound mean, but I love animals and can see this happening in my house! I hate to say it, but unless you plan on having the cake just for "show" , you need to go back to the drawing board and start from fresh. As much as I love my animals , I can't imagine eating something after they'd sampled it....let alone anyone else who doesn't share the same animal afinity. Chin up.....sounds like you already have a backup plan. Good luck with it.

icon_smile.gif

I can and have seen this happen in my house too - cakes, cupcakes, frosting, fondant, etc. I toss it and start over. Oh well, like lilcakes I love my animals soooo much and have so many that I have to expect it once in a while.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:37am
post #21 of 44

So I'm not the only one with the amazing jumping dog. We rescued our 12yr old cocker spaniel Ashleigh this past February from the local pound.
I was working on a doll cake for a friend. I was baking several cakes to make sure to get a really good cake. I finally picked out the cake, put the Barbie in it; walked out of the kitchen, closed the door behind me to keep her out. She snuck in before I closed it. I went back into the kitchen, grabbed the icing to start decorating, looked about the time she jumped up & grabbed a bite. icon_mad.gif My husband walked in at the same time. He got her and said" Ashleigh, you don't value your life do you?" I love hr, but I could have wrung her neck. She smiled I know she did. icon_rolleyes.gif

dl5crew Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:39am
post #22 of 44

So I'm not the only one with the amazing jumping dog. We rescued our 12yr old cocker spaniel Ashleigh this past February from the local pound.
I was working on a doll cake for a friend. I was baking several cakes to make sure to get a really good cake. I finally picked out the cake, put the Barbie in it; walked out of the kitchen, closed the door behind me to keep her out. She snuck in before I closed it. I went back into the kitchen, grabbed the icing to start decorating, looked about the time she jumped up & grabbed a bite. icon_mad.gif My husband walked in at the same time. He got her and said" Ashleigh, you don't value your life do you?" I love hr, but I could have wrung her neck. She smiled I know she did. icon_rolleyes.gif

dl5crew Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:39am
post #23 of 44

dl5crew Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:56am
post #24 of 44

Sorry for the multiple posts. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Nexus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nexus Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:23pm
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about the cake though! Silly pets always wanting some. I'm pretty bad because if it was for me i'd just cut off the eaten part and eat away. LOL But for a customer i'd make a new one.

Thank you for saying that. I was beginning to think I was the only who reclaimed dog tasted and dog approved baked goods. I didn't try to save the fresh loaf a bread she had eaten three quarters of and drug into her bed. However, the butterscotch meringue pie that she carefully licked half of the filling out of without ever crumbling the crust, I saved. I simply cut off the edge and tossed the emply crust. icon_eek.gif Lizzie- a standard poodle - doesn't get on the table. She is tall enough to take things off the counters which includes removing toast from the toaster if you leave the kitchen unsupervised. She also enjoys sticks of butter left out to soften. Poodles stand easily on their hind legs, so one quickly learns to either put all foods away or place items out of reach. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ohhh I have gone thru this time and time again, ok only twice and only once was a cake! lol Im glald that Im also not the only one who has cut away the puppy tasted parts and eaten the rest. It was for family, and well lets just say i wonder if sometimes we love our animals too much -.-
But if it was for someone who was paying me, i would make another one. Because I'd feel guilty...even if it was someone I dont like lol icon_biggrin.gif

And I know what you mean bout big dogs 129lb german shep/collie mix. He can sit on the couch with all paws on the floor as well as kitchen chairs too

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:32pm
post #26 of 44

I thought I was the only one who was conniving enough to consider feeding a cake like that to my in-laws!!! I have one SIL that I actually would give that cake to (I'm serious!). Oh well, since it isn't my cake in question, I agree with evertyone else.... chuck it.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #27 of 44

I thought I was the only one who was conniving enough to consider feeding a cake like that to my in-laws!!! I have one SIL that I actually would give that cake to (I'm serious!). Oh well, since it isn't my cake in question, I agree with evertyone else.... chuck it.

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:37pm
post #28 of 44

Lol, this has happened to me too. I have a Chihuahua who decided to eat my moms birthday cake one time, it was a chocolate fudge cake with whipped cream filling and caramel icing, yum. The dog was so small I couldn't see him on the other side of the cake eating a huge hole in the side. Not to mention that I didn't even know he could get up on the table because it was so high. Apperantly he had just learned that trick and picked that day to show me.

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:41pm
post #29 of 44

SORT of on the same topic, but sort of not...

When I was 11, my neighbors had their wedding in their backyard. The cake was inside the house, and the door was left wide open. During the exchanging of their vows, I look over to see my cat Smokey licking the cake :-O I couldn't get up in the middle of it! I was so horrified. I don't remember what happened, but at some point, I managed to get her back over the fence.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #30 of 44

Make a new one and give him/her the rest of the cake to eat..might as well. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%