I Need A Tried And True Ganache Recipe Asap

Baking By Destini Updated 21 May 2007 , 4:04am by idoweddingcookies

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 12

I need a ganache recipe for a friends birthday cake tonight.

11 replies
gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 12

I was just looking in unaswered post and found yours.
I added a my recipes, which came from the link listed below, I posted a while back.

I have made all of the different thickness and depending on what you are looking for and the temp. in your area right now. Choose the proper level of cream/liquid you need to use.

What I mean is the more liquid you use the softer the ganache will be. The less you use, the more difficult it will be to pour and spread. You should use a warmed up metal spatula to help.
I made a cake a few days ago the 8 oz chocholate with 1 1/2 cup liquid. The ganache was great, just really soft, and after 30 minutes out of the fridge, it was really soft.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....nache.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

Here are a few options I have recipes for:

Plain recipe: 16 oz dark chocolate, 1 cup scalded cream poured on top of chocolate. Once chocolate is melted, you can pour it on top of you cake or you let it cool a bit and mix it to a "BC" texture for a frostings or to place inside or between cakes.

Richer recipe 16 oz chocolate 1 1/2 cup scalded cream. Same procedure as above, this will be a bit more creammy.

Truffle Recipe 16 oz chocolate 2cups scalded cream. Same prodedure as above - this will be even more creamy. This is the recipe you would use to make truffles.

You can add flavor to your ganache once you mix the chocolate to the cream. You can also add items to the ganache, like a dried fruit powder or other tasty treats. Just try out combinations that you like in small amounts and you will find some pretty good ones.

With 1 lb I usually make 4 types of flavors, I make the truffles really small, that way you can taste more than just 1 huge 1" truffle.

I HTH

Good Luck in making you ganache.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, you can pm me.

Good Luck.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 12

Here's my super simple recipe:

CHOCOLATE GANACHE
1 C Heavy Cream
6 ox. Good-Quality Semisweet Chocolate, finely chopped

Heat cream in a small saucepan until just simmering (do not scald or boil). Pour over chocolate in a bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently stir until smooth with wire wisk. Continue to let ganache melt, stirring every 5-10 minutes, until thick enough to hold it's shape, about 45 minutes. If ganache sets before using, reheat in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; repeat the cooling process above.

To make truffles, just let the ganache set/firm-up and use a melon-baller to make a perfect ball, then roll in topping choice, cocoa, sugar, dip in chocolate, etc!

Destini Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you both. Sounds simple enough. For some reason I thought it was way more difficult.

Destini Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 12

One more thing. Does it have to be refrigerated?

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, I refrigerate mine because it's primarily heavy cream. I have used it in wedding cakes and it was fine sitting out for that time-frame.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 12

Ganache is fine at room temp for 3-4 days (providing your room isn't too hot) Here's my recipe tried and true chocolate ganache1

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 12

Hijacking the thread for a moment...

How well will Ganache hold up outside??? Making a chocolate cake for part of my nieces graduation cake and I want to fill it with white chocolate ganache. Party's the 23rd of June at a park

gateaux Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

Hijacking the thread for a moment...

How well will Ganache hold up outside??? Making a chocolate cake for part of my nieces graduation cake and I want to fill it with white chocolate ganache. Party's the 23rd of June at a park

The thicker the ganache meaning the more chocolate and less cream you use the longer it will hold up in warm temps.
If you use 1 lb chocolate 1 cup of cream, you should be good, you will simply have to work at keeping your ganache warm while you are spreading it.

I would also say, that you make sure your cake is well cooled and kept cool until you absolutely have to take it out and then make sure it's in a shady spot. Unless the temps are over 100, because then it will simply melt no matter what you do!

If you are just using it as a filling, then you should be fine. If it's for decorations or covering the cake it might start to droop.

Good Luck.

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 20 May 2007 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 12

I need to make a Kahlua cake this week and want to try something different than the usual chocolate buttercream with Kahlua for flavoring. Can you add the Kahlua and coffee to the ganache to give it that flavor?
Thanks!

gateaux Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:00am
post #11 of 12

Absolutely up to 1 tbsp per lb of chocolate when you make your ganache for the flavoring from alcohol. Just add it once the cream and chocolate are mixed.
I love kahlua, you could also add sub a little bit of strong expresso coffee for the cream as the liquid. If works just fine - just add it a the same time as the kahlua once the chocolate and cream have been mixed.

Good Luck.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:04am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftaz

Ganache is fine at room temp for 3-4 days (providing your room isn't too hot) Here's my recipe tried and true chocolate ganache1

Will vouch for this recipe.. tried it a few weeks ago, and have used it many times since. Love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%