New Cake Ball Combos

Decorating By nadjahs9 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 7:35pm by Cookies4kids

nadjahs9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadjahs9 Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 102

I've been coming up with a lot of cake ball combinations recently, and have so many I can't wait to try. Not sure if others have discovered these ideas as well, but the cake ball posts usually cover the classics, so I thought I'd post some that I haven't come across before.

Apple Pie: White cake with sour apple pucker (as the binder) and graham crackers, rolled in cinnamon sugar. (YUM!!!)

S'mores: Chocolate cake with chocolate syrup as the binder, rolled around a mini-marshmellow and covered in chocolate.

Butterscotcheroos: Chocolate cake with melted peanut butter as the binder, with butterscotch chips and rice krispies added, and covered in chocolate.

Chocolate Banana: Chocolate cake with Banana extract covered in chocolate. So simple but sooo yummy!

Twix: Chocolate cake with melted peanut butter and caramel syrup, with soft caramel candy and covered in chocolate.

I've got a large spreadsheet full of ideas, but am always looking to add more possibilities, so if anyone else has more ideas like these, I'd love to hear them!

101 replies
calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 102

Oh they all sound so good! I just made a few today. It was a orange dreamcycle cake with Grandmarinier and Vanilla Creamer as a binder dipped in white chocolate.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 102

Sorry, but what is sour apple pucker?

These sound wonderful! So far, I've only made chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and peanut butter, with mini chocolate chips mixed in, dipped in chocolate. Yummy!

dagrama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dagrama Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 102

They sound really yummy!

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 102

mmmm...these sounds sooo yummy!!!

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 102

The apple pie one sounds so yummy. Definately will save this. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 102

sour apple pucker is apple flavored schnapps liquor....and I agree, these sound fabulous! I've tried orange cake with lemon curd dipped in white chocolate, white cake with raspberry jam dipped in chocolate, and rum-soaked yellow cake rolled in ground pecans.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 102

Bring on the Cakeball recipies yum yum icon_cool.gif

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:13am
post #9 of 102

Thanks, Beckalita. I think I'll definitely look for this!

White cake with lemon curd, dipped in white chocolate.

White cake with raspberry....well, raspberry anything! dipped in white chocolate. I have some powdered raspberries that would be delicious in these!

nickir0108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickir0108 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #10 of 102

For Christmas I did carrot cake with cream cheese icing as the binder, dpped in white chocolate. I also did strawberry cake with cream cheese icing, dipped in white chocolate. Thanks for the variations. Can't wait totry the smores one. Sounds delish!!!!

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #11 of 102

Those combos do sound great! Can't wait to try them myself...

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:24am
post #12 of 102

wow...these sound so good!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:27am
post #13 of 102

those sound yummy! thumbs_up.gif

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:58am
post #14 of 102

My favorite are german chocolate with coconut pecan icing(duncan hines) as the binder dipped in chocolate. And this week I made Paula Deen's chocolate chip cookie dough cake balls and they were VERY delish!!I'm definaely going to have to try those white rasberry ones. I bet if you added the white rasberry coffee creamer to those they would be really good too!

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:08am
post #15 of 102

I have yet to do my first cake ball (can't keep scraps around long enough!) but after reading these it may not be long!! Thanks for all of the ideas!

chocolateandpeanutbutter, 2 months is too far away. I love your ticker!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:12am
post #16 of 102

I have only made one batch so far and they were a hit:

Fresh strawberry cake with buttercream and grenadine as the binders, covered in white chocolate.

Soooo yummy!

terabera69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terabera69 Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:15am
post #17 of 102

I am in Illinois and am so surprised that these are not a bigger hit with bakeries. I think that I better hurry up and start a business. Only bad thing is that we cannot bake and sell out of our home. I have made these for my DH to take to work. People have asked him for the recipe. Hum. Glad he didn't give it away! So many combinations. I want to make several variations for my DD's teachers at the end of the year. Better get baking and hide them before the family finds them.

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #18 of 102

I have not made cake balls either, but want to so badly! I know there's a tutorial on how to make them, but really....are they easy?

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #19 of 102

i will have to try some of those, they sound really good! thumbs_up.gif

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #20 of 102

love cake balls but my husband says he thinks they look like spit out cake - he doesn't like to even try them! He is missing out

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:32am
post #21 of 102

. . . these sound great!

terabera69 Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:35am
post #22 of 102

CreativeCakery - you have to try them. They are so very easy to make. Make sure that your cake is still warm if you are using icing, so that it will melt. it definately doesn't look pleasing to the eye when you are making them. I have found that dipping them while frozen into melted almond bark works great. I also add a little Crisco to help thin the chocolate and give it a little shine. Have fun!

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:44am
post #23 of 102

these all sound so yummy!! The fav in my family is vanilla cake w/ amaretto as binder dipped in milk chocolate ..2nd runner up is triple choc cake w/ Godiva Liquor as binder dipped in dark chocolate (ok...I see a pattern here...ummm...can you say 'drinkers"??? LOL)...

terabera --- where in IL are you located??

terabera69 Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:28am
post #24 of 102

LilSis, I see you are in Illinois, too. I am in Bloomington/Normal. Birthdays are close also. Where are you?

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #25 of 102

Wow - there are a lot of us Gemini's on this thread!!! icon_smile.gif

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:57am
post #26 of 102

GEMINI'S RULE!! LOL

tera - i'm up north...Gurnee area...near WI border

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 10 May 2007 , 7:17am
post #27 of 102

Thanks, terabera! I can't get over how you can use a thinner liquid, like a liquor for a binder! Don't they fall apart?

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 10 May 2007 , 7:42am
post #28 of 102

those sound sooo good! Can´t wait to try them.

terabera69 Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:01pm
post #29 of 102

After you crumble your warm cake and add, let's say, buttercream to the cake, it should resemble mush. Just add enough bc to make everything mix. Start with a little amount. Ball them up and freeze them while the chocolate is melting. If the chocolate is too thick, they don't set right and is too heavy for the balls. The Crisco really works great and makes the chocolate last longer. My husband and son both have birthdays on Sunday. They don't like cake, but love the balls. I will be making some tomorrow. I can't wait to try new combos!

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:32pm
post #30 of 102

christielee-I have looked all over Food Network for that Paula Deen recipe and it will not come up. Will you please send me the link or recip? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%