Toba Garretts Cake Prices! Wow $1,000 For One Layer Cake

Decorating By prettycake Updated 8 Jun 2006 , 8:40pm by mymichelle04

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:29am
post #1 of 41

I just looked at Toba's Cake's, OMG, $1,000 for a one layer cake (small).. LOOK BELOW or next reply, you'll see it. thanks
I know she is very good Pastry Chef, but I can't imagine charging that much for one layer cake.. oh well...
Do you guys charge that much for a one layer cake ?

Have a nice week-end everyone.. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

40 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:50am
post #2 of 41

Here is that one layer $1000 cake
LL
LL

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:56am
post #3 of 41

That work takes hours to do it...and to do it that amazingly!!! But she has the name to do that! Let's all hope one day we can do that too!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:56am
post #4 of 41

Actually the cake isn't really that small...it says it serves 40. Thats $25 per serving...sounds about right for Toba's cakes...looks like she has alot of hours into that one. Definitely worth it thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for sharing it with us icon_biggrin.gif

ge978 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:58am
post #5 of 41

flourgrl: looks like you can be charging those prices yourself soon!! Great cakes thumbs_up.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 1:06am
post #6 of 41

Toba can do that. Her work is Awesome. Great detail. I hope to be that great one day.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:07am
post #7 of 41

Oh my! But that is such a beautiful cake! Anyone have her website address? icon_wink.gif I wanna see!

ge978 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:40am
post #8 of 41

here you go...she has a gorgeous bride dress cake on the front page...wow!! I love to look at her cakes!! http://www.tobagarrett.com/cakes.html

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:43am
post #9 of 41

The wedding dress is in her book. Also, if you ever have any questions regarding anything she emails with a reply.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:47am
post #10 of 41

WOW, it better taste as good as sex.........lol

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:09am
post #11 of 41

why do I have no idea who "Toba" is?????? I will have to visit her website, is she like another Colette Peters???

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:35am
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

flourgrl: looks like you can be charging those prices yourself soon!! Great cakes thumbs_up.gif

Gee thanks!!! I don't have that kind of skill though....not enough patience to do that embroidery (I did attempt it and it's very time consuming and I had tons of gaps - she has none!)

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:40am
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

here you go...she has a gorgeous bride dress cake on the front page...wow!! I love to look at her cakes!! http://www.tobagarrett.com/cakes.html

OMG....holy crap. Private instruction at $350/hr...minimum 10 hour class. Group instruction $75-$150/person/day. Minimum 12 people.

Wow. And look at those cakes! Holy crap.

Thanks for the link. icon_razz.gif

KellieRSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellieRSM Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:43am
post #14 of 41

Do you think it tastes like a $25 per serving cake...or just looks like it? Talent, no doubt...but my goodness.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:51am
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

I just looked at Toba's Cake's, OMG, $1,000 for a one layer cake (small).. LOOK BELOW or next reply, you'll see it. thanks
I know she is very good Pastry Chef, but I can't imagine charging that much for one layer cake.. oh well...
Do you guys charge that much for a one layer cake ?

Have a nice week-end everyone.. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Toba Garrett has worked hard to build up her reputation and her clientele. The amount of work that went in to the details for the decorating plus the fact that she uses the best and freshest ingredients play a part in what she can command for one of her cakes. Bottom line is when your work is amazing as hers you can charge what ever you think your time is worth and your clientele will pay it.

Cake_Princess Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 3:57am
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyjo30

why do I have no idea who "Toba" is?????? I will have to visit her website, is she like another Colette Peters???

No, Toba is not "like another Colette Peters".

Yes, she is another top-notched cake decorators/pastry chef but she has a flare that's "uniquely Toba".

Cake_Princess Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:45am
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellieRSM

Do you think it tastes like a $25 per serving cake...or just looks like it?

What does $25 per serving cake taste like?

I know this is your opinion but these type of comments can be really upsetting. I find them upsetting due to the fact that we urge home bakers not to underprice themselves so why should we expect professional decorators to charge less then what they think their time is worth? Is that not a bit hypocritical? That makes me wonder if a CC member had posted in the forums and said they charged a $1000 for a similar type of cake, would you have been so bold to ask them if it taste like a $25/per serving cake or just looks like it? Who knows Toba could even be a member of this site. Kind of like a post on a nother site where Colette was criticized and she responded to the post - talk about an oopsie.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 6:29am
post #18 of 41

I just admire these people. I think if an artist can ask certain amount for their painings so should some decorators. she has exellent cakes.
i cann't imagine how long it took her to do the embroidery but it is perfect.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 8:05am
post #19 of 41

Ok, I looked, and they are amazing, time-consuming, breath-taking works of art, but they seem to blur the line between art and food too much for me. Even if I were beyond-wealthy, I'd never spend that much for 20 pieces of cake, no matter what is in it or on it.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 11:07am
post #20 of 41

Wow.....love the dress cake. All the cakes are amazing! Thanks for sharibg that link Ge

ge978 Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:42pm
post #21 of 41

No problem Spottydog thumbs_up.gif ...I'm absolutely in love with that dress cake!!!

I love Toba's cakes & cookies. She has an elegance to everything she does. Her cakes are very artistic & never overdone which is what I absolutely love about them.

Cake_Princess: I agree with you...Toba has earned the right to charge these prices for her cakes. To look at them I think they are worth every penny. It looks like she spends hours & hours on them.

Plus, we are always encouraging each other not to undercharge ourselves...charge for not only ingredients but time spent & to charge according to our market...Toba does all these things & is very successful. We might not be able to pay $1000 for a cake that serves 40, but some people can & isn't that the point in having cakes that reach every market?

spottydog Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 5:28pm
post #22 of 41

Point well spoken Ge. I really LOVE that dress cake. I keep going back to check it out. I am thinking when bordom strikes I would love to attempt something like that. I'll be sure to post...LOL may end up in your thread "worst cakes".

I guess we all have to start somewhere. icon_smile.gif So let's hear it for Spottydog...... I'll start "sewing" this weekend icon_rolleyes.gif

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:28am
post #23 of 41

Toba also does the Lambeth method - which is SO difficult! She was trained at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris and is a seriously top of the line decorator. I've made some of her cake recipes and yes - her cakes taste 25 dollars a slice. The ingredients she uses are the best, her method is unparallel'd in my opinion and she has taken the time to make her name worht 25 dollars a slice.

I worship the ground that woman walks on!

Rachel

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 12:42am
post #24 of 41

I love Toba, she is just awesome. The first time I saw her was on Emeril live. I ran out and brought her book. Her book is so well written. I love her.

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 5:19am
post #25 of 41

I just happen to have her book sitting right next to me when I was reading this post. I think that the level of difficulty in her designs based on what I've seen in the book could certainly warrant that type of price. Her website really doesn't show the full detail of those cakes. I would suggest getting the book (really inexpensive) just to see why she may charge that much. I get nervous every time I look at the pictures because of the amount of detail. I really admire her and would die just to be able to do what she does. The book also has very detailed instructions, recipes, and general instructions. It was definitely worth every dime!!!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 5:47am
post #26 of 41

I saw Toba on Emeril's show last year. She does gorgeous work.

But I had a hard time concentrating on what she was doing because I was so distracted by what she was saying...she kept saying FonDAHNT! Color the FonDAHNT this way! Knead the FonDAHNT that way!

Is it just me or does that drive other people crazy?

I need to get a life I guess... icon_rolleyes.gif

Please forgive my rant icon_redface.gif

thanks

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 6:47am
post #27 of 41

This is one of my favorite cakes of hers:

http://www.eternalsweetharts.com/cakes/toba.jpg

Rachel

spottydog Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 11:58am
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsright41401

This is one of my favorite cakes of hers:

http://www.eternalsweetharts.com/cakes/toba.jpg

Rachel

Wow I can see why. That is incredible. Thanks for the link Rachel thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 10:19pm
post #29 of 41

I would love to take the cake decorating class she offers. I took her cookie classes. She has such patience decorating. Even her work in five minutes is beautiful. I guess all those years of doing this pays off. I don't have her book, but went to her site and saw that wedding dress cakes. I think it's beautiful!! Something i hope someday i can do myself.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 12:41am
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones17

WOW, it better taste as good as sex.........lol

Toba's talent is truly amazing, but with a $1,000 price tag it better taste better than sex!! lol icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%