Need Thoughts For Funeral Reception For A Child

Decorating By FunCakesVT Updated 28 Apr 2006 , 8:03pm by m0use

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 42

This is a terrible situation, so I can not think clearly and could use some suggestions. A remarkable, beautiful, smart, funny, all around lively bright light died suddenly this weekend. She was 6 years old and touched everyone she ever met. I have offered to make a cake for the reception, and it was agreed that something bright and cheerful would be best, beyond that I have no ideas.

At first I thought a sheet cake and some cupcakes (for the kids), but now, given the flow of people that will be coming through over the course of the week I am actually thinking a set of round cakes decorated differently but complementary to one another would be better, for freshness and space reasons.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

41 replies
4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 42

How awful. Was there anything she was "into"...like butterflies or fairies? Maybe angels? Shooting stars? Teddy bears?

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 42

How about 1 for every year of her life. Maybe even some angels figurines holding her hands or something.

MommyChristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyChristine Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 42

I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for your loss.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 42

Did the girl have a favorite flower?
How about the hobbies that she had?
I would recommend flowers, birds, butterflies, ladybugs, and dragonflies.

Sharon1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharon1964 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 42

How very, very terrible. I would be at a loss for coherent thoughts as well.

How about round cakes decorated to look like bright balloons?

Sharon

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 42

Wow, how sad. I can't imagine losing a child. I was thinking a rainbow, butterflies, or angels. I was reading an article in a magazine this weekend about a family that lost their little girl, and they said that when they saw rainbow, they thought of it as God sending a rainbow down to get their little girl.

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 42

I like mouse's idea. A few garden type cakes would be nice and colorful without being too playful. How very sad.

FunCakesVT Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 42

I was thinking flowers, since pink and purple were her favorite colors I think. She loved everything, so it is hard to imagine a theme based upon interests - princesses, ponies, skiing, music, you name it, she loved it.

The idea of the six cakes is terrific - thank you, and simple is great - flower, ladybugs, etc. would be pretty and soothing to everyone, but also easy to replicate to the cupcakes for consistency.

Thank you all for your sympathies...I cry as I think of it...such a terrible loss to us all.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Did the girl have a favorite flower?
How about the hobbies that she had?
I would recommend flowers, birds, butterflies, ladybugs, and dragonflies.

I think those are great suggestions. The angels would be beautiful but I think it would be too much for the grieving family. I lost my step-daughter last year and it's such a difficult loss. My condolences to you and your friend.

kos

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 42

How terrible. I am sorry you and those around you are having to experience this loss.

From what you said I would think several smaller cakes would be a good idea. You could decorate each of them differently as the week goes on. If you know the childs favorite colors use those on the cakes.

Some ideas just to toss out:

- What kind of birthday cake would you have made for her? Make that cake for her now.

- Flowers, especially daisies always feel youthful, fun and fresh (at least to me). That sounds like this little girl.

- Angels, a cross or a book cake with a bible verse.

- A book cake with info about her life written in like favorite colors, toys, etc.

Cindy

FunCakesVT Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 42

Thank you , Cindy. You are right, the birthday cake is a good fit in this situation.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 42

Maybe something really bright and colorful...some cakes iced in a bright blue with fluffy white clouds all over them....rainbows???....something really cheerfull and remeniscent of the celebration that little girl is having with God right now!!! Maybe some angels floating around the sides of the cakes...or some really pretty figures on top of the cakes.....a Tiered cake would be gorgeous...with an angel on the top tier sitting on a cloud reaching her hand down to a little girl... standing on the second tier reaching up....probably not much help...sorry...........I lost a child too and it's such a hard and touchy subject for people...I can't even imagine losing a 6 yr. old...that poor family...my son died at birth....never an easy thing, but to have her taken away after 6 yrs. would be just awefull!!!

MicheleF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleF Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 42

I'm in tears just reading your post! How horrible! I have a six year old son and can't believe what the family must be going through. I know this will be hard for you to make these cakes. I would defenately stick with something cheerful. Everyone will be filled with enough emotions. I agree with the previous post on choosing something she liked. If you went with the idea of the six cakes, please don't put numbers on them. I don't think that would be a good idea. I wish you the best of luck.

Michele

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 42

I am very sorry for your loss.

I would do 6 round cakes each one decorated for the year of her life. 1 with baby stuff, 2 with toddler stuff, and so on and so on and then 5 with kindergraten stuff maybe and then 6 with an angel reaching out over a rainbow or something!

My prayers and thoughts are with you and those around you!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 42

What about a nursery rhyme set? Make them with dreamy scenes. Perhaps a way to send her comfortably to sleep, if you will. Perhaps see if the local bakery can do edible images of some as a donation. Here is a link with examples of what I would use. So sorry to hear about the loss.
~Nichole

http://www.art.com/asp/display-asp/_/id--7633/Nursery_Rhymes.htm

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 42

since space/freshness was mentioned as an issue --

how about all cupcakes in veritable rainbow of colors (maybe even arranged as a rainbow ending in a cloud of CCs?)

can put little symbols of her interests on each -- ponies, faries

or my favorite -->

bunches and bunches of butterflies (she flies w/ God now)

can have extra CC waiting to replenish the display.

so sorry for the loss. (it ought to be against the law for any child to die)

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 42

What a sad thread. So very sorry for the little girl's family. Can't imagine the pain, it makes me hurt just to learn of her passing. If there's anything we can do as a forum for this family, let us know.

I don't have any great ideas, but thought maybe you could make a round cake with smaller rounds around it, maybe decorate it like a flower. The smaller cakes could be petals?

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 42

Very sorry for your loss. I couldn't imagine on my worst day. My thoughts are with you, and I am sure what ever idea you come up with will be done with love and will show. I am sure it will be so appriciated.
Lisa

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 12:42am
post #20 of 42

The butterfly idea is beautiful. That is so symbolic, yet delicate and also butterflies are wonderful for a little girl.

leswaltz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leswaltz Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 12:59am
post #21 of 42

I'm pretty new to CC but I had to post. I too lost a child at birth and reading all these beautiful ideas is bringing tears to my eyes. I am sure the family will treasure the cakes. Make sure someone takes a picture!

All the ideas are wonderful! I love the one of a round with a theme for each year of her life. Butterflies are also so fitting... when my baby died one of the cards I received said that his life, like a butterfly, had touched this world so briefly, but the joy of witnessing it would last forever.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Leslie

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 1:59am
post #22 of 42

additional thought on my rainbow w/ butterflies theme

all the butterflies would be white w/ gold and silver accents on wings and bodies

and cloud could have a little sun peaking out w/ rays coming out of it.

trying for idea of little "angel" butterflies riding the rainbow to heaven.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 2:11am
post #23 of 42

Wow, so sad...my heartfelt condolences for your loss. I have a son who will be 6 this summer and he is very active and smart and friendly to everyone as well...I can't imagine the pain you all are experiencing.

I like the idea of six cakes as well but I would not put any more heavy symbolism than that. You want them simple and pleasant, but IMO you don't want something that people are going to look at and just burst into tears all over again.

I vote for simple girly flowers (like the round "hello kitty" style flowers), rainbows, butterflies, etc as have been mentioned. Just simple girly stuff, but nothing that would be heavily symbolic of her life. Nobody will want to eat cake that they feel is too closely connected to her, I don't think.

But then everyone handles grief differently, so the final decision will have to be based partially on how well you know the family and what they would want.

kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 2:13am
post #24 of 42

I think one for each year of the child's life reflecting any of her hobbies or likes or accomplishments. Children even of young years also have accomplished a lot in their young life. I think it would honor her memory. My prayers are with you and your friend. You all are in my prayers.

FunCakesVT Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 12:51pm
post #25 of 42

Thank you everyone. This is a family that likes this simple and clean, so I asked her aunt last night and she shared that recently this little girl had been playing 'rose the cat', so roses and ladybugs (another favorite) are defintely in, and the floral theme is very much in line, which will include butterflies and probably a rainbow. We are all just sick about this, and your direction has been a great help to a foggy mind - THANK YOU.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 12:57pm
post #26 of 42

I am sorry for this loss as well. As a mother of two young girls I can only imagine this terrible time.

All the ideas given are really good. Flowes, butterflies, ladybugs, yellows and bright pinks are good for a girl's happy cake.

sdfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfisher Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 1:09pm
post #27 of 42

When we lost our 5 week old grandaughter to SIDS 2 years ago some dear friends of mine put together a reception after the funeral. One of them made a beautiful cake that was completely covered in scroll on the top and tiny pink rose buds all over it. I know it's a little different since this child was older but the simplicity of it was so beautiful. Her name was Emily Rose so the roses were significant to us.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing that child was the most painful experience I have ever known. My heart goes out to her family.

Shirley
www.emilyrosefisher.com

BakerBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBea Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 1:15pm
post #28 of 42

So sorry for your loss. As a mother of four heart cries for any parent that loses a child. I agree, flowers, butterflies anything girly.
Agian, sorry for your loss.

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 12:09am
post #29 of 42

How about a photo in rice paper of each year of her life on each cake. Six cakes starting from age 1 to age 6 . Add some of her favorite things to each cake. A rainbow, a fondant made teddy bear, etc.

This would honor her personally and not be too showy.

Kathy R

cats28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:26pm
post #30 of 42

How sad it is:
I cannot imagine losing a child. I so sorry for your lose. I think the idea of little angels is quiet nice.

My heart goes to the family.
Tina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%