Ace Of Cakes Under The Icing (Wow!)

Lounge By Kayakado Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 5:16am by keonicakes

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 139

I had to edit this - it is being misunderstood. It is NOT a criticism. It is admiration, wonderment and awe. It also makes me want to be less stressed about the quality of my cakes when I can see the end product is fabulous!

His new website www.aceofcakestv.com is a fun interactive one BUT...

I was shocked when I saw a stack of his cake layers they were using for a construction. If one of us on cc had some layers come out of the oven in the a similar condition -- we'd be having a heart attack! They are are buckled and slumped.

We all know how his finished cakes look, but seeing under the icing of his cakes gives me great hope.

Go to his website aceofcakestv.com
Click on the 3rd frame at the bottom and then click on the dog in the image and watch the video. The stacked layers are about 1/3 the way through the presentation.

138 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 139

I'm at work right now and can't see the video, I will check it out when I get home.

I watch a lot of the food network cake challenges and when they pull those cakes out to stack, they are not great looking. They also look like rubber. They just pull these cakes out with 2 hands and stack. I wonder what kind of cake is that ,that bounces and does not break.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 139

icon_rolleyes.gif Why do we have to have post after post on here harping on Duff's attitude/cleanliness/staff/techniques. C'mon...the bakery is SO creative & unique. Everyone harps on this and that because Duff's a personality featured on tv and that makes him an easy target to pick on.

Do you think his clients are really going to him because they expect 100% perfectly level, uniform layering....NO! They want his amazing designs and his incredible take on far-out novelty and non-traditional cakes.

The cake is a 3-D DOG people! It's not a Martha Stewart wedding cake.

Leave him alone already! (I'm sure he couldn't care less that anyone critiques his layering. He'd probably laugh!)

As he says on the video:

"We have a method. Is it a method that works for everybody? Maybe not...but it works for us".

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 139

Way to go antonia74! I agree completely. icon_smile.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 139

I don't think anyone was harping on Duff. Sounds like they were saying that if Duff didn't always have a "perfect" cake, then everyone can have hope with our non-perfect layers.

antonia74 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 139

I think pointing out a weakness and then pointing us to look at a video of the item to back up the argument is a criticism.

I said the "harping" is "post after post" on this site...not solely from Kayakado's thread here, though I do believe that it's done on here a LOT.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 139

ditto to antonia.

i know i have had several times that my layers didn't come out perfect, but i was able to make them work.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 139

All I can say is he is awesome, and what a cool website, that in itself shows you the degree of creativity! I always enjoy watching him do his cakes, The other night the episode about the castle that fell apart and the incredible reconstruction they did, that's a cake decorator.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 139

[quote="Kayakado

We all know how his finished cakes look, but seeing under the icing of his cakes gives me great hope.

[/quote]

I agree, it used to drive me up the wall when my cakes didn't come out perfect. After watching the cake challenges and the stuff Duff does makes me feel better. There is hope.

Cracked me up when his brother said he baked a whole oven full of cakes with out eggs. They are human after all.

Lighten up people IT'S FRIDAY!!!! Turn up the tunes and do the friday dance party.gifdunce.gifparty.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 139

'Make cakes that are out of the box.........and I don't mean Betty Crocker'

ROTFL!!! My hero icon_smile.gif!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 139

OMG! That is the most amazing website! I love it! Thanks for the update! thumbs_up.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 139

Wow! I was just sitting on that sight for the past 1/2 hour!! Well, that was fun! I liked how he made the Campbell's soup can, I watched that twice with my daughter. Thanks for sharing that sight, and I actually feel better, like I don't have to have the cakes in perfect shape before I start! LOL!

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 139

That is a cool website, gives me inspiratation to go out and try and crave something or create something different.. and out of the "box"..

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #14 of 139

I love watching him. He truly has fun with what he is doing. His employees all appear to like what they do and how he does it. I'd love to work with someone with that much enthusiasm towards their work.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 139

I loves me some Duff! He is great to his staff too! The work really hard and he rewarded them recently with a trip to Costa Rica! I love his staff too-just a little off-center! Those are my people! icon_lol.gif

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

His new website www.aceofcakestv.com is a fun interactive one BUT...

I was shocked when I saw a stack of his cake layers they were using for a construction. If one of us on cc had some layers come out of the oven in the a similar condition -- we'd be having a heart attack! They are are buckled and slumped.

Go to his website aceofcakestv.com
Click on the 3rd frame at the bottom and then click on the dog in the image and watch the video. The stacked layers are about 1/3 the way through the presentation.

Thanks for the website addy! I did not think you were putting him down at all......just lifting the rest of us up to let us know that everybody's cakes do not come out perfectly. I appreciate your post!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:27pm
post #17 of 139

I missed that show again last night icon_sad.gif I always forget when shows are on until later. I need to get tivo or something

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 139

I like Duff.
We all make mistakes and it's nice to see he's not perfect. icon_lol.gif

I've seen some of the best at their worst. What really counts is the finished product and that the customer is happy. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sure these people have seen him on tv and they know what he is all about.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:44pm
post #19 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

icon_rolleyes.gif Why do we have to have post after post on here harping on Duff's attitude/cleanliness/staff/techniques. C'mon...the bakery is SO creative & unique. Everyone harps on this and that because Duff's a personality featured on tv and that makes him an easy target to pick on.

Do you think his clients are really going to him because they expect 100% perfectly level, uniform layering....NO! They want his amazing designs and his incredible take on far-out novelty and non-traditional cakes.

The cake is a 3-D DOG people! It's not a Martha Stewart wedding cake.

Leave him alone already! (I'm sure he couldn't care less that anyone critiques his layering. He'd probably laugh!)

As he says on the video:

"We have a method. Is it a method that works for everybody? Maybe not...but it works for us".

I totally agree, I am a bit jealous of him I would trade bumpy cakes for a famous tv famous bakery, even some of you with full blown top of the line bakeries would love some 5 minutes of fame. Not every baker is perfect we all have at least one weakness I have many.
Love Cake Central

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:48pm
post #20 of 139

I like Duff's goofy laugh. I'd like to have it recorded so that when I've got one child pulling me one way and the other pulling the opposite I can play that over and over again and just feel goofy.

The whole staff at Charm City seems kooky in a fun-way - something my uptight self could never be! Love 'em!

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:56pm
post #21 of 139

I didn't think you were putting Duff down. Sometimes it's comforting to know that the pro's have to work through disasters and bumps in road too. I know it encourages me and gives me hope, it doesn't make me think any less of them, in fact it boosts my opinion of them. I know I won't ever come near to the talent of Duff or his staff or any other cake great, but it gives kind of a comradery feeling to know we all have to work through the same kinds of things from time to time. Yeah, I freak out when my layers are just perfect so it's nice to know that even if they don't look perfect when they come out of the pan, there's a way to make the finished product look great! icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 139

This is really bothering me... I wasn't going to say anything and I left this thread so I didn't but I had to come back and say something.

I don't think the original poster was putting Duff or anything about his site, work, cakes, etc. down. I think she was just stating that even someone as famous as Duff can have floppy cakes.

I think what needs to stop around here (CC) is the people who jump everyone for having opinions and speaking their minds. This is a place where we can come share our thoughts, feelings, ideas etc and ask for help and assistance and when we want to share something and make it a point to say something makes us feel better about having a screwed up cake once in a while, someone gets jumped for putting someone down.

Now on the last thread I commented on about a Food Network "employee" was the thread about Sandra Lee. It got locked because people opened up and shared their thoughts and feelings and some people couldn't handle it. What I don't understand is why people take it so hard or take it to heart when someone says something that they THINK is "bashing" or insulting when in reality it was just the opposite.

I've taken a big long break from posting on CC because it seems no matter what I say weather it be nice or rude good or bad I get ***** at for it. And it seems that it's the same people over and over again that do the complaining and pushing until people leave CC.... I think people need to relax and take a chill pill and let people have an opinion and stop jumping people for their opinions.

*Moderator edited for language*

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:04pm
post #23 of 139

I love watching Duff and seeing him enjoy his job makes me love decorating cakes that much more and makes me strive to try new things.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:10pm
post #24 of 139

Whoa folks, I was NOT criticizing Duff or his cakes. I was just pointing out that we stress so much about our cakes and in the long run, you can make a beautiful cake out of something not so perfect. I think it said they have made 27 cakes in one week, that is pretty remarkable, too.

I love Duff and his cakes!!!!!

Please don't jump to conclusions and think any kind of review is a criticism when it may be total admiration, wonder and awe.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:12pm
post #25 of 139

OhMyGoodies, you are THE WOMAN! I know a few weeks ago I almost quit posting entirely, was just going to use the site as inspiration and become one of the *silent* members, then I realized, why should I let a few judgmental, rude people scare me away? I belong here as much as anyone, and I am going to have fun while I'm here! I have done my level best to be a helpful member here, and I think I've done a lot of good for a lot of people!

Having said that, when I read the original post here, I felt she was saying, "Hey look guys, don't stress when a cake comes out a little crooked, Duff can take a couple of slightly off-kilter layers and turn them into a masterpiece, so maybe you can too!" If someone else took it another way, that's their business.

In my opinion, if you don't like the way a thread is going, GET OUT OF IT. No one is forcing you to read it.

antonia74 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:24pm
post #26 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

I think what needs to stop around here (CC) is the people who jump everyone for having opinions and speaking their minds. This is a place where we can come share our thoughts, feelings, ideas etc and ask for help and assistance and when we want to share something

I've taken a big long break from posting on CC because it seems no matter what I say weather it be nice or rude good or bad I get bitched at for it. And it seems that it's the same people over and over again that do the complaining and pushing until people leave CC.... I think people need to relax and take a chill pill and let people have an opinion and stop jumping people for their opinions.

...and having said that, why am I not entitled to give my opinion here? What's the difference between the original poster stating her opinion and me replying with mine? That's what a forum is for...exchanging ideas, experience and thoughts...otherwise, we'd only need one member here.

You essentially just argued that we should all be able to say what we want...and I did just that!

If you are so pro being nice to everyone (and that includes fellow members)...then what about the fact that Duff & his staff are actual members on this board as well? What if we took the "Ace of Cakes" reference out of the original post and substituted YOUR company name....would you be so supportive of it then??

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm
post #27 of 139

Yes I would because she didn't mean it in a bad way. All she was stating was that if they are ok at showing us viewers that they aren't perfect and they have bad days too then it's ok when we have a bad day it's not the end of the world.

I didn't say you couldn't have your opinion but what I was saying was you were extremely rude as you just came in and jumped her for saying something or implying something that she wasn't.

What about the fact that Duff and his staff are members here? What of it? I don't have a problem with that. I love his show, and I love the fact that they show us viewers that they aren't perfect, that they too can make mistakes or have bad days. It makes them seem not so perfect and more human like.

antonia74 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm
post #28 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

In my opinion, if you don't like the way a thread is going, GET OUT OF IT. No one is forcing you to read it.

Ummm...it wasn't really "going" any way Melvira. I was the 2nd person to reply. icon_confused.gif Nobody's forcing you to read or reply either, ironically.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #29 of 139

Interesting to see his website. I've never seen a whole show of his but I'd love to hang out in his shop for a day. He's got talent and isn't arogant about it. I have to admire that. He seems like someone I'd really like knowing.

antonia74 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:39pm
post #30 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

What about the fact that Duff and his staff are members here? What of it? I don't have a problem with that. I love his show, and I love the fact that they show us viewers that they aren't perfect, that they too can make mistakes or have bad days. It makes them seem not so perfect and more human like.

Duff wasn't pointing out the imperfection of his layers inside...a member here was. I think that's the element here that was rude...and I'm certainly not the only member here who took it that way. The original poster has since been back on here to clear up the misunderstanding of what she meant by her thread...so let's drop this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%