The Jello Fondant Was A Hit!

Decorating By SophieBelle Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 11:46pm by bobwonderbuns

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:19am
post #31 of 97

Finally, something to use my glycerine with! I bought a couple of bottles while they were on sale and have'nt used them once! I was ready to use them in snowglobes just to tell hubby "see?... I did need them!" icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:02am
post #32 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Definately add the glycerine if you're going to cover the cake with it! I didn't and it was a disaster icon_sad.gif, it cracked and just fell apart on the cake, so I had to scrap it and use Pettinice instead. So be aware - don't end up wasting money like me by having to trash the lot - add the glycerine!!!!!

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I also want to say that I didn't use glycerin in the fondant for the Easter cake in my pictures and the ball of fondant in my pictures. I was testing the recipe and wanted to see what would happen. It needs to be kneaded with shortening until it's smooth.

Heath kindly made the glucose correction for me and the recipe is showing up on the front page for right now.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:53pm
post #33 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Definately add the glycerine if you're going to cover the cake with it! I didn't and it was a disaster icon_sad.gif, it cracked and just fell apart on the cake, so I had to scrap it and use Pettinice instead. So be aware - don't end up wasting money like me by having to trash the lot - add the glycerine!!!!!

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I also want to say that I didn't use glycerin in the fondant for the Easter cake in my pictures and the ball of fondant in my pictures. I was testing the recipe and wanted to see what would happen. It needs to be kneaded with shortening until it's smooth.

Heath kindly made the correction for me and the recipe is showing up on the front page for right now.

I kneaded it really well, but I did have it hanging around for a few days before using it, maybe that changed it's texture? I used it on some Easter egg cookies a few days before and it was fine. The jello in this country is also a bit weird (it sets really quickly!), I've made gelatine fondant with sheet/powdered geletine lots of times with no problem - so my guess is that it's the jello. I'm certainly not blaming you!

SophieBelle Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 7:55pm
post #34 of 97

I can tell you that the one I covered the Easter cake with had been made about five days before I did the cake. I had wrapped it in plastic wrap then stored it in a plastic snap-top container.

p_hernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p_hernandez Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #35 of 97

I want to see the cake with the jello fondant.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:17pm
post #36 of 97

SophieBelle's Easter cake is in her photos. It is absolutely beautiful. Look how smooth and beautiful the jello fondant is on that cake. She really did a fantastic job.......

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:24pm
post #37 of 97

I just bought some raspberry Jello today because I've heard great things about this fondant! Can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

SophieBelle Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #38 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I just bought some raspberry Jello today because I've heard great things about this fondant! Can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

See?! If bobwonderbuns has heard great things about it, it definitely deserves more than three stars!

Thanks for all the sweet pm's, by the way. I love you guys. icon_biggrin.gif

SophieBelle Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:52am
post #39 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

SophieBelle's Easter cake is in her photos. It is absolutely beautiful. Look how smooth and beautiful the jello fondant is on that cake. She really did a fantastic job.......

Butternut is my bud! Your check is in the mail, hun. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:21pm
post #40 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

See?! If bobwonderbuns has heard great things about it, it definitely deserves more than three stars!

Thanks for all the sweet pm's, by the way. I love you guys. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Yep, I'm really looking forward to trying it!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:27pm
post #41 of 97

Please could someone tell me where to find Glucose.
Thanks

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm
post #42 of 97

Glucose can be found at most cake decorating stores and also in the Wilton aisle at michaels or JoAnns. If you cannot find it ususally you can substitute corn syrup for it, but I'm not sure if it would work in this recipe.

superstar Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:42pm
post #43 of 97

Thanks bobwonderbuns, I will have get some when I go to Los Angeles. We don't have a proper supply shop here for cake goodies.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #44 of 97

I did a search for fondant and it was first on the list icon_biggrin.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:57pm
post #45 of 97

The picture of the Easter cake looks like the fondant is white, what did you use to get it the white color?

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:08am
post #46 of 97

Oh my gosh! So excited to give a try! Thanks!

SophieBelle Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:32am
post #47 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Please could someone tell me where to find .
Thanks

superstar, you can find the glucose in the cake sections of any stores that carry Wilton stuff, even Wal-Marts. I believe you can get it on this site, too.

And culinarycreations, the actual color was a light green. It doesn't look that way in the gallery, though. Others have been asking me about that, but so far I haven't found a Jello flavor that is clear.

icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:09am
post #48 of 97

Thanks SophieBelle, I will look at Walmart, although I haven't seen too much cake stuff at our Walmart.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:10am
post #49 of 97

The jello is what gives it it's flavor, correct? Could plain geletain be used and then just add clear flavors? Or..would the amounts be off...There's got to be a way... icon_rolleyes.gif

SophieBelle Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:21am
post #50 of 97

culinarycreations, yeah, I would think the amounts would be off, but you could add flavorings to another fondant recipe. I've seen people on here say that they do that. If you had to have white fondant, you'd have to do that unless we find a colorless jello to slip into this recipe. I really like the flavor choices with the jello and the price is right!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:24am
post #51 of 97

Doesn't Jell-o have a white grape flavored gelatin? I thought I saw it at the store a while back. It's clear.

DecoratingDingbat Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:06am
post #52 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Doesn't Jell-o have a white grape flavored gelatin? I thought I saw it at the store a while back. It's clear.

I think they may, and I had a Pina Colada Jello at a friend's house once and it was white as snow. I left her a phone message to see where she bought it and hopefully it was just the box - hoping that she didn't add anything to it. It was tasty, I remember thinking "white jello? Wierd.", now I'd almost pay her to find it! I'll be sure to pass it on if I get it, I'll also be double checking the grocery store selections now! If this tastes good and restores my faith in the taste of fondant, I'll just have to make every color in the rainbow and have a kitchen full of fondant! Thank you again for sharing!

SophieBelle Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:16am
post #53 of 97

Now that you say it, I think I might remember a white grape flavor. I haven't seen it recently, though. You guys let me know if you get it in another part of the country!

The margarita flavor I used on the Easter cake is not available in my grocery store right now, and I think the pina colada flavor was out at the same time as that one.

Maria071 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria071 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:22am
post #54 of 97

http://www.kraftfoods.com/jello/products/gelatin/desserts/

If you go here you can pick the color and it will tell you what flavors come in that color.
http://www.kraftfoods.com/jello/products/flavor-finder/

DecoratingDingbat Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:29am
post #55 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria071

If you go here you can pick the color and it will tell you what flavors come in that color.

OMG!!! icon_eek.gif My chest and bottom just tightened - they have a white color cheesecake and white chocolate flavours!!!!! Okay, now I'm really excited about trying this recipe!!!! icon_razz.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:39am
post #56 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

The jello is what gives it it's flavor, correct? Could plain geletain be used and then just add clear flavors? Or..would the amounts be off...There's got to be a way... icon_rolleyes.gif

Regular old fondant is made with plain gelatin, she has just added the twist of using flavored gelatin to make it extra nummy! If you want to make it with plain, you can use the Wilton recipe and there will be no flavor unless you add vanilla/almond,etc.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:39am
post #57 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoratingDingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria071

OMG!!! icon_eek.gif My chest and bottom just tightened - they have a white color cheesecake and white chocolate flavours!!!!! Okay, now I'm really excited about trying this recipe!!!! icon_razz.gif

White chocolate Jell-O??? I thought that was only the pudding that came in that flavor...icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:41am
post #58 of 97

Be careful guys... don't lose your noodle yet... the white chocolate, etc. only applies to pudding. Not jell-o gelatin!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:57am
post #59 of 97

Alright I need to get home to try this recipe. I am so mad that I did not bring my KA with me to my son's home. Will be here till the end of the year. Helping with grand daughter while he is in the "Desert".

DecoratingDingbat Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:02am
post #60 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Be careful guys... don't lose your noodle yet... the white chocolate, etc. only applies to pudding. Not jell-o gelatin!

Shoot icon_confused.gif - got all excited for nothing! (I'm going to have that engraved on my headstone - story of my life!) Still, they do have Pina Colada! When I see all the slabs of MMF leftover on plates I will try anything for a better flavour. I have tried adding different flavour extracts, but yet to find anything that's really good. The Princess Cake and Cookie emulsion is good, but there's the issue of availability. Anyway as previously mentioned, you can't beat the price of jello! I'm willing to give it a go - thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%