Am I The Only One Unimpressed With Hi Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By Laura102777 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 8:21pm by bobwonderbuns

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:03am
post #1 of 23

I was so excited about trying this stuff because I've heard so many people rave about it on here. I ordered it online and had it shipped to my house. I could hardly wait to make a batch of buttercream to try it out! I use a 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening recipe, and to be honest, I was really disappointed when I tried it. It's not that it was bad, I just really didn't think it was any better than using plain ol' Crisco, not less greasy or anything.

Am I crazy or has anybody else had the same opinion when they tried it?

22 replies
LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:09am
post #2 of 23

I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. I was thinking to look for it next time I'm up at Cash n Carry...

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:26am
post #3 of 23

I'd like to know too. I really have no problem with my 2 cups butter, 1 cup crisco recipe right now, but if Sweet-ex or something is truly better I'll go with that.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 23

When you use an all shortening recipe, you really notice the difference. That is why I swear by the hi-ratio. The taste and the less greasy factor. The less greasy feel comes into play with the texture of the icing--really smooth and melts in your mouth better and the nasty crisco taste is not hanging around for awhile in your mouth. icon_wink.gif And the fact that it cleans up sooooo much better than crisco. I can't say anything for recipes that use half butter and half shortening since I only use all shortening.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 23

.......just one thing I've never understood.... How can you call it BUTTERcream when you're not putting any BUTTER in it??

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 23

Now I'm dying to try it....I bought some last time I was at my cake supply store, but haven't used it yet! I'll let you all know what I thought when I do!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 23

Laura102777,

Can you please tell us the recipe you used? The first recipe I used I wasn't pleased with either, then I tried another recipe and I am happier. I will have more opinions after dinner today. I made a carrot cake with cream cheese icing but I did the basketweave and grass with decorators frosting (hi ratio). I guess I really need to make a small batch of Crisco to compare side to side to the hi ratio. I used hi ratio and butter for my cake today. I don't like using butter in the summer though because of my icing breaking down due to the heat and humidity.

darkchocolate

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by southrnhearts

.......just one thing I've never understood.... How can you call it BUTTERcream when you're not putting any BUTTER in it??

because shortening/solidified vegetable fat-cream just sounds unappealing.
Plus some people put butter flavouring into their buttercreams

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 23

I really don't think you can beat a half butter, half crisco recipe. Granted ours has alot of extras in it, that is not in most common recipes. But I have only come across 2 other bakeries in my life that has icing like ours, and all I can say is that I get rave reviews on our icing. People can't believe that it was decorated well and tastes good too! I HATE the buttercream that wilton uses for class, it holds up well because its so stiff, but I'm not into sugary icing. Guess its just a matter of personal preference! Do whatever works best for you!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 23

I love the following recipe when I make an icing that doesn't contain butter. It's super good!

SWEETEX FROSTING

1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp butter extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups Sweetex (high ratio shortening)
1 TBS meringue powder
1/2 tsp popcorn salt
2 lbs powdered sugar

Add salt and flavorings to a measuring cup. Add cold water to make 1/2 cup. Beat Sweetex in mixer bowl, slowly adding the water mixture until fully incorporated. Beat in meringue powder. Gradually add sugar. Beat two minutes at medium speed.

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 23

I felt the same way. I tried the Whimsical buttercream and I thought it would be this HUGE difference, since I beat mine for 20 minutes. I didn't taste anything extraordinary. I guess I'll have to try an all shortening recipe. I'm hoping I'll notice the benefits when surviving the heat of a south Texas summer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was unimpressed.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 23

I wonder if they'll have a no trans-fat hi-ratio shortening. I'm excited about Crisco going no trans-fat. It's a step in the right direction anyway.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 23

I finally broke down and bought some hi-ratio... I used a modified version of the Wilton class buttercream icing, and it was amazingly good! It was lighter, less greasy, but I did notice it took a little more flavoring to make it taste the way I like it. I use almost 4 tablespoons of flavor for a 2lb icing sugar 'batch' of icing. But I LOVE the hi-ratio! I hope it was just the recipe that you used that didn't work so well... hopefully you will find one that is better!!! Good luck!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 23

I have never used it before, but on my next trip to the supply store I wanted to buy a small container to see if I liked it first. I also heard that it holds up better in the heat of summer. Those of you who have tried it, does it hold up better? Will it still hold better with a 1/2 butter, 1/2 hi-ratio recipe?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 23

I see shortening sometimes (usually a cheap, no-name type) that say something like "whipped" on them. Would these be the same as the hi-ratio? Also, anybody found store brand shortening to work/taste the same as Crisco? I've not risked trying.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 23

Crisco is definately nasty.... but we use Sweetex at work and when I use the icing recipe at home and use generic shortening with it, it tastes the same to me.

My favorite generic so far is Pathmark grocery store brand.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm
post #17 of 23

Kitagrl--what recipe do you use?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 9:16pm
post #18 of 23

I posted it in recipes last night but it might take awhile to come up I guess.... I'll post it in the forum.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:39pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

When you use an all shortening recipe, you really notice the difference. That is why I swear by the hi-ratio. The taste and the less greasy factor. The less greasy feel comes into play with the texture of the icing--really smooth and melts in your mouth better and the nasty crisco taste is not hanging around for awhile in your mouth. icon_wink.gif And the fact that it cleans up sooooo much better than crisco. I can't say anything for recipes that use half butter and half shortening since I only use all shortening.

Exactly.

Also, it has been my experience that you just can't substitute hi-ratio for Crisco (and expect to see the best from the hi-ratio).

Hi-ratio has less water and more emulsifiers than Crisco. One of the biggest benefits is that it isn't necessary to keep adding more powdered sugar (as with Crisco) to firm up a recipe in the more humid/hotter months. And although hi-ratio is more expensive, in a good hi-ratio recipe, you use less than you would Crisco so the cost isn't that much more.

Here is a multi-linked thread that has info on hi-ratio (and more) and recipes:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1098181-.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34464-.html

HTH

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

I was so excited about trying this stuff because I've heard so many people rave about it on here. I ordered it online and had it shipped to my house. I could hardly wait to make a batch of buttercream to try it out! I use a 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening recipe, and to be honest, I was really disappointed when I tried it. It's not that it was bad, I just really didn't think it was any better than using plain ol' Crisco, not less greasy or anything.

Am I crazy or has anybody else had the same opinion when they tried it?

You're not alone, I can't stand the stuff! icon_razz.gif

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:51pm
post #21 of 23

I use hi-ratio in my butter cream and can tell a big difference. I use the Whimsical Bakehouse recipe and have recieved nothing but compliments since I changed over. I guess it's just a preference! icon_biggrin.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:56pm
post #22 of 23

Why do you use crisco and hi-ratio shortening?
I've never found a recipe that didn't taste greasy. It does hold up better, but I just don't like the recipe.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:21pm
post #23 of 23

Maybe it's just me, but I find hi-ratio shortening to be far more slimy in texture and taste. Very gross!! icon_confused.gif I've used it in a variety of recipes and every time it was slimy and gross. But some people swear by it, I'm just not one of them...icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%