Desperately Seeking Sympathy (Long...sorry)

Decorating By midialjoje Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 3:02am by MandMCakeDesigns

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #1 of 38

I got home from delivering and setting up the last cake in my photos a 4 tiered wedding cake. turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Groom was there prior to my leaving, got pictures etc.

then............the nightmare. 5:58--call from bride--cake is leaning, looks like it is going to fall over--"I need you back here right away". Heart sank--no car (new driver in the family at the mall). borrowed my neighbor's car and ran back--good thing it was close.

well, it was falling all right. they had been trying to prop it up by putting plates underneath the back, but it was going. the bride said, if you can't fix it, just take the top three layers off so you can save at least that. Well, I transferred the top 3 tiers to a platter the restaurant gave me, had them take the bottom tier to the kitchen and proceeded to reapply the bottom ribbon and border and other areas that needed to be fixed. Oh, and did I say the reception started at 6, so I had an audience.
It was all I could do not to break down and cry. I couldn't even look at anyone, so I don't know if they were looking on in pity or disgust. I finished and pulled the bride aside as I was leaving and said I'll get you your money back--I am so sorry. I hope this didn't ruin your evening. She could tell how upset I was and was very gracious, but I just apologized again and left.

Now I'm going to be scared to death to do any more wedding cakes (have about 8 more booked already). I can't imagine much that could be worse.

thanks for listening to this very long vent.

37 replies
mccakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakegal Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:20am
post #2 of 38

Oh that's so sad. And I'm sure you were exhausted on top of it.

Don't be afraid of the next cakes, if you didn't do it for this one, make sure you have a center support running the entire length of the cakes. Cakes are just like people -- the more support the better icon_smile.gif

You are giving the bride her money back and the cake has been eaten and digested at this point so there is nothing more to be done.

Have a drink and kick up your heels.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:20am
post #3 of 38

Oh no! I am so terribly sorry to hear this!

After you calm down, can you think of a reason why it would have fallen? If it was tiered, were the tiers not locked or what? It sounds like it was stacked, and if it was stacked, then must have been the support dowels??

The best thing to do after a disappointment is to jump right back in and learn from your mistakes!! YOU CAN do this!

Look at Duff, they have disasters too. I'm learning that it happens to the best of us. I know this is the worst kind since it's a wedding, but it will be ok.

Hang in there and big hugs!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:22am
post #4 of 38

Sorry to hear this happened. You are not alone. This, or something similar, has happened to many of our members.

I am glad that you made it there in time to save what you could of it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 4:01am
post #5 of 38

I'm so sorry...when something like that happens it just plain shakes your confidence. But the only thing you can do is put it behind you and move on to the next cake. If you can figure out what caused the cake to lean so badly, you won't make that mistake again. Once I had a cake collapse because of too few dowels. At the time, I thought it was plenty. But I sure use more now. icon_wink.gif

Take a deep breath...you saved the cake, it's over now, the bride wasn't mad, and you make beautiful cakes. icon_smile.gif *HUG*

midialjoje Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 4:24am
post #6 of 38

You all make me feel so much better. glad I knew right where to come for support.

I do think I know exactly what happened, and how to hopefully never risk that again. When I leave the dowels up an inch or so to pull my fingers out, I think the dowels shift. If that's the case, I'm surprised it hasn't happened more. I think from now on, I'll place at least 4 dowels down where they need to be all the way. then, when I have 4 sticking up some to let me move my fingers out of the way, the main dowels will already be in place. If these shift a little, it shouldn't matter.

once again----Thank you!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 8:56am
post #7 of 38

I went back and saw the photo of the cake. It was beautiful!

What type of dowels did you use? Thanks for sharing your heartbreaking disaster with us, especially for us who don't have wedding cake experience yet. You are teaching the rest of us a good lesson here.

Big hugs!

pampered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pampered Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 38

Hi,
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have only done a few wedding cakes myself and know the feeling of a falling cake! My first cake almost fell also. The cooks that were in the kitchen unassembled the cake when they noticed it shifting. It was after that cake that I talked the bakery that I work at to buy a different cake system. I bought my cake stand from
http://www.cakestands.com/
It does not use dowels and the pillars go right into the cake. It's all I will use now. It is pricey but I really do like this kind of setup.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 38

Was it the 4 tier with the pearls? BEAUTIFUL...........That's one of my biggest fears, I feel for you and send you HUGS and a big DON"T GIVE UP..............your work is Excellent.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 38

Just a thought, but it may not have been the fault of the cake. Did you first make sure the table you set your cake on was level? Sometimes, flooring is unlevel and that transfers to the table. Then when you put a high, multi tiered cake on the table it will gradually tilt. Bring a small level next time to make sure, and some cake board shims to correct the problem.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 38

I just wanted to say that "Pon's wedding cake" was very pretty. I hate that this happened to you... but you did the right thing. Don't cancel your wedding cake orders, just try to figure out the problem, maybe make a practice wedding cake that is tiered... good luck to you and Happy Easter, it will get better!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 38

If the bride is honorable at all, she won't accept the money back ... or she will at least give you something knowing all the trouble PLUS extra trouble you went though. I'd be curious to find out what she does. Please post. I understand she will be on a honeymoon for the next week; it might take some time before you hear back from her.

midialjoje Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:33am
post #13 of 38

I couldn't stop thinking about this. My daughter ended up coming up with what might have had everything to do with what happened--see below.

I ended up sending her the following email. I'll let you know if/when I hear back. (I purposely didn't put anything in about a refund, want to see what she says.)

"I hope your day yesterday was wonderful, in spite of the cake situation. Once fixed, I hope you were able to relax and enjoy the rest of your evening. You looked absolutely stunning!

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what went wrong. My daughter said this morning that she wondered if all the vibrations could have had anything to do with it. (she was with me when I delivered and set the cake up.) I hadn't even thought of that, but it was on the table right in front of the speakers. As I was setting up the cake, the band was warming up. I remember joking to them once they stopped for a moment that they should turn it up--it was so loud that I remember I was vibrating with the bass as I put the finishing touches on the cake.

I sure don't want to make excuses, but at least that helps explain why the supports in the bottom tier could have shifted. I may let the restaurant know that just in case. They may have had that set up before, and may have it many times after and never have another problem, but if I can help possibly help prevent that from happening to someone else again, it's worth it.

Now that you are away from the situation, I'd like to know your thoughts."

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:47am
post #14 of 38

I'm also so sorry to hear about this.....but you MUSTN'T throw in the towel on wedding cakes! You do such beautiful work and I'm sure this was just a "fluke" thing! Is there any chance the cake or cake table was moved AT ALL after you left? Also, the vibrations issue could very well have played a part!

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:00am
post #15 of 38

Girl, dont worry. #$%&% happens. you did the best you could. sometimes gravity is not on your side. and most of the people Im sure were not looking on in pity or disgust but are generaly intreged by what you are doing. I mean, how often you actually see a cake geting assembled in reall life (not on the food network)? I wish you the best of luck with the other 8 cakes. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #16 of 38

Oh darlin', I am so sorry to hear that! Please don't give up! It will get better!

Every once in a while I have a panic attack, not even when I am actually doing a cake, but when I'm just driving down the road, I think to myself, "What on earth am I thinking, doing these cakes? I could RUIN some poor person's wedding!" I let myself have three seconds, then I move on! icon_wink.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:12am
post #17 of 38

This always sucks. I too have had it happen. And I does totally break your heart and crush your confidence. When mine sunk, it was the most expensive cake I had done to date, and the house the small reception was at was HOT!!! I mean they were doing all the cooking in the house. There was an oven going. Eyes on the stove, and several industrial sized crock pots/warmers. I was nervous immediately. Then home for 15 mins when I got the call. Luckily they were so happy with the cake and I was able to fix it pretty well (except for the huge crack in the fondant) that they wouldn't accept payment back, not even a portion. They kept saying that I couldn't control the heat and **** happens! Hopefully, you'll get the same response. Your cakes are beautiful. It's easy to say "don't get nervous", but I know you will (I still do). But we learn from our (and others) uh oh's. Definitely would question the rattling from the music and if the cake was moved at all. I too would love to know the outcome of this. Good luck and keep your chin up!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:22am
post #18 of 38

Did you use wooden dowels? I have had a three tier cake fall over and ever since then I use the white plastic dowels. Then I use about three or four wooden ones to go all the way through the three tiers, cake board and all. No more problems since.......Keeping fingers crossed.

I think your cake was beautiful and who knows what really happened. Maybe someone ran into the table and caused the cake to fall over. If you had it set up right and got photos of it and how everything was fine when you left then I don't think you owe the money back. Your job was done once you left everything set up and fine. You can not be held responsible for what happens after you leave.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:23am
post #19 of 38

Sweetie, I'm sorry this happened to you. Rest knowing you did your best and you handled it with class. Next time it might be worth the investment to get some stress free cake supports or something similar, but even if you can't afford them, don't stop wedding cakes! You obviously have talent, it would be a shame.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:33am
post #20 of 38

It's happened to me... I did a 4 tier cake and transported it already stacked (big mistake). The top three layers slid halfway off when I had to stop quickly...

When I arrived at the reception site, I was frantic and said I'd fix it and please don't tell the bride (no need to upset her needlessly). As I'm fixing it, the bride comes rushing back (the bridesmaid had told her it was RUINED!) and she was surprised to find that the top three layers were still perfect - I just put them on a new plate and sent the bottom layer to the kitchen to be cut and served there. And as an apology, I offered a free cake (up to $75) for any stress it caused.

The bride was fine with it - and was upset with the busybody bridesmaid instead.

Stuff happens... as long as you remain professional and do you your best to fix the problem, that's the best you can do.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:43am
post #21 of 38

I am soooo sorry this happened to you. Alot of us can feel your pain, I almost cried for you! icon_cry.gif Whatever you do, DON'T give up on wedding cakes! You live and learn - and if you give up on wedding cakes you'll regret it! Just keep reminding yourself that it takes more than that to knock you down. We've all had experiences with cakes, I still get a tightness in my chest and shake my head when I think about a particular anniversary cake I had years ago. UGG - still can't talk about it, throat closes up. You did all you could, saved the cake (great customer service by the way, I can't guarantee they could have even reached me!) and you learned for future weddings if possible not to set up in front of the speakers. I would also like to thank you for making me think, set up many times right by the speakers, just dumb luck nothing shook loose yet I'm sure!
Promise not to give up, think of all the other people whom you'd letting down if you did that! icon_wink.gif Hang in there... you just keep getting better with every experience thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #22 of 38

Lots of hugs to you. So sorry this happened, but you seemed to sort it out very nicely. Your cakes are beautiful. Please don't let this one bad experience take away from all the good ones. Please keep us posted on the final outcome.

phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:06am
post #23 of 38

I'm so sorry for you. Just this same thing Happened to me last month. I'm trying to post the link to this story.http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-1 It will certainly make you feel better.I wouldn't give up though. I have another wedding cake to do this week, even bigger and am pretty nervous. But if you do alot of research into your problem thenit helps to make you feel more confident. I believe this happens to most of us at some point in time. May I ask what type of support system you used. I am curious because I'm switching from wood dowels to plastic or hidden pillars.I don't trust those wood things. Good luck to you! icon_wink.gif

phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:13am
post #24 of 38

I'm so sorry for you. Just this same thing Happened to me last month. I'm trying to post the link to this story.http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-173631 It will certainly make you feel better.I wouldn't give up though. I have another wedding cake to do this week, even bigger and am pretty nervous. But if you do alot of research into your problem thenit helps to make you feel more confident. I believe this happens to most of us at some point in time. May I ask what type of support system you used. I am curious because I'm switching from wood dowels to plastic or hidden pillars.I don't trust those wood things. Good luck to you! icon_wink.gif

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:20am
post #25 of 38

Well, you certainly have my sympathy! As I was reading your post, a knot formed in my stomach...what a stressful thing to happen to you!!! I am so glad though, you were able to get back to the reception and do what you could to make it better. Now that it's over...take a big breath...let it out...

Now the question is, what did you learn from this experience to keep it from happening again?

midialjoje Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:27pm
post #26 of 38

FANTASTIC REPLY TO MY DISASTER!!!!!!!! NOW I'M CRYING TEARS OF JOY!!!!

For anyone following my weekend cake disaster situation, here's the reply I got from the bride today----------

"After things settled down and I had time to think about the cake situation. I came to the same conclusion, the vibration from the speakers most likely caused the bottom tier to give in. In all honesty, I was in a panic, but I am just thankful I was able to get a hold of you and we were able to salvage the top three tiers. Despite the trouble, the cake turned out to be beautiful.

Thank you for the draped pearl necklace over it. It was a wonderful finishing touch. And thank you for the photograph of the full cake. "

Fellow CCr's: Thank you all again for your wonderful comments and support. You are wonderful!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:07pm
post #27 of 38

***Doin' the happy dance!!***

Thank goodness that this is how it turned out... now you can breathe deeply and be proud of your save!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm
post #28 of 38

So, is she refusing your refund?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 4:51pm
post #29 of 38

Yes, I'd like to know that, too.

midialjoje Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:23pm
post #30 of 38

As I stated in my previous post, once I felt like there was a reason for the problem that was, for the most part, not my fault (though you can bet I will NEVER set up another cake near the speakers), I did not mention the refund in my email to her. Once I got her email reply where she agreed that the reason was most likely not my fault and also did not mention getting any money back, I was not going to offer the refund again.

I know I mentioned it at the reception (and probably shouldn't have), but that was under the duress of the situation.

I'm curious by your questions--did you still think I should give her money back??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%