Tip I Came Up With For Writing

Decorating By Amylou Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 5:41am by stephanie214

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 22

Don't know if this has ever come up, but in dealing with trying to keep my printing/writing words straight I use dental floss!

Just clip off a piece, or 2 if you want a top and bottom line, lay it on your cake and instant guidelines. Then just move it down for any more lines!

21 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 22

Thanks for that good tip. icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 22

That's a great tip Amylou! Thanks!

boysmomintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boysmomintx Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 22

Great one! I was born a crooked writer! This should help. icon_cool.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 22

Great idea! Never thought about that.

You could also use a ruler to imprint a line in your icing and then write your message. I have a ruler that I used specifically for cake decorating.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 22

Wow..that's a great one! I will deffinately try it!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 4:42am
post #7 of 22

That's a great tip, Amylou. I could always use a little extra help with straight writing.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 8:53am
post #8 of 22

I could always use tips on writing...even with my press kits, it isnt the best!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 22

that is an excellent idea!! thanks for the tip!! icon_lol.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 22

Hey! Great idea! I'll have to try that on my next cake icon_smile.gif

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 22

If you have one of those lazer levels that you can attache anywhere, they are perfect!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 22

Sunlover00,
That's another good idea! I would have trouble seeing the dental floss. You can't miss a red lazer line!

So many great tips!!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 22

Great tips from everyone! I am going to try the laser one since I have one of those tools! Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 3:14pm
post #14 of 22

I love my laser level! I'm looking for any reason to use it! Thanks thumbs_up.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 22

What is a laser level? I've never heard of that. I could definitely use help on keeping my writing straight.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 3:26pm
post #16 of 22

I don't happen to have a laser level either, but I think decorators, builders, etc., use them for a lot of leveling jobs, makes sense it would work on a cake...will have to look into it. I am incapable of writing in a straight line even with a ruler!

Sunlover, I just have to say your avatar is cute, it makes me think of the piece of cake you have when you use a regular core to bake! Janice

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 4:13am
post #17 of 22

Hi! I like both ideas, they are great, even though I don't have the laser level, but have dental floss, I'm willing to try both. The problem that I have when writting, is that the wording comes out wiggley almost sort of zig zag, which I don't like the wording looking like that on my cakes. I use a brace on my hand to give me support when I'm in the working area of my kitchen, but it does not really help to keep the letters from looking wiggley or zig zag when using cursor writting. Thanks to you.

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 1:15pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cakes

Hi! I like both ideas, they are great, even though I don't have the laser level, but have dental floss, I'm willing to try both. The problem that I have when writting, is that the wording comes out wiggley almost sort of zig zag, which I don't like the wording looking like that on my cakes. I use a brace on my hand to give me support when I'm in the working area of my kitchen, but it does not really help to keep the letters from looking wiggley or zig zag when using cursor writting. Thanks to you.

My writing comes out the same way if I try and follow a template. If I do it freehand I seem to do a little better, still can't keep it straight though. I just have to keep practicing, and keep trying the great tips everyone gives on this site.

peacockplace Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 2:29pm
post #19 of 22

I used the laser level last night and I've gotta say... I't amasing! I will never do writing on a cake without it again! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 9:23pm
post #20 of 22

Hi bigcatz! Thank you. I thought that I was the only one. Like you said, just keep on practing. And that is all I can do. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 2:35am
post #21 of 22

Glad I could help! You can get a lazer lever at any home improvement place - with the other normal levels. It is a beam of red light! I got one for Christmas - everyone thought it was a joke but I loved it!! I now have 2 of them!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 5:41am
post #22 of 22

Thanks for the great tips. Can't wait to try both the floss and laser icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%