Advice Needed On Getting Buttercream White

Decorating By Schmoop Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 3:58am by CarolinaBelle

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 34

I have cake to do next weekend that the customer wants a ture white icing to match party decor and I only make Buttercream with all butter...this is what she loves about my cakes, no crisco.

My question...what works better to whiten it, the Americolor White or wiltons Whitener? What have you used and give me any tips of how to accomplish the truest white? icon_biggrin.gif

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoop

I have cake to do next weekend that the customer wants a ture white icing to match party decor and I only make Buttercream with all butter...this is what she loves about my cakes, no crisco.

My question...what works better to whiten it, the Americolor White or wiltons Whitener? What have you used and give me any tips of how to accomplish the truest white? icon_biggrin.gif

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truest white = crisco shortening.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 34

maybe you could try a crisco buttercream and add butter flavoring and let her try it............maybe she would like that, it would still have the butter flavoring and none of the yellow........I make a recipe of buttercream that has half butter and half crisco and it IS what I would consider to be white! " the white icing of course"
LL

shannas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannas Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 34

Wish I could help but I have not used either. But I also don't use all butter in my icing for that reason. Could you use half butter half Crisco and then the whitener? That way it would not be as yellow and maybe you will have an easier time in getting it white? I hope the other ladies can help, sorry.

Shanna

unforgetable2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unforgetable2u Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 34

i have heard that using white butter works.. but i have never tried it

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 34

'WHITE' is subjective.

I'd protect my hindside and tell her up front that with real butter, which in MY opinion makes the best bc, it will not be as white as the Crisco version...even 1/2 and 1/2. I like the person's idea who said do the butter recipe and then add the whitner stuff. I haven't used that yet.

GOOD LUCK!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 34

If your recipe calls for creaming your butter, beat it longer than usual and it will whiten up a bit. Then, during the final mixing of all of the ingredients, add --one VERY small drop at a time--violet gel/paste color. Your icing will turn a beautiful white because the violet cancels out the yellow.

I do this regularly when using real butter and/or butter flavor crisco. I have used Wilton's and Americolor Bright White and I really prefer the "violet cancels yellow" method.

Rae

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 1:17am
post #8 of 34

What a great idea!!! I'm imbarressed that I didn't think of this...I work with paints all day long in our sign company! DUH!

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 1:23am
post #9 of 34

That is a really great idea that I would of never thought of lol

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 1:54am
post #10 of 34

GREAT TIP!!!!

Thanks!

Schmoop Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 8:01am
post #11 of 34

I have used Wilton's and Americolor Bright White and I really prefer the "violet cancels yellow" method.

Rae[/quote]

Thanks for the 'violet' tip, I think I will try that first. I do need to make it all butter and it is to match a invitaiton for a baby shower so, the truest bright white, the better.

Is the Americolor you use actually called VIOLET?

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 8:07am
post #12 of 34

Wow! See another great tip. Thanks Rae!

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 11:25am
post #13 of 34

Yes, the Americolor I use is called Violet. Wilton also has a violet that works fine, too.

I suppose you could try "purple", but if it is a true purple (with red undertones), it wouldn't work at all--you'd wind up with a pinkish white.

Just remember--always start out with the smallest of drops. I often just put a bit on the tip of a toothpick. With all butter or all butter Crisco, you may have to do it several times until you're happy, but it really works.

Happy decorating!
Rae

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 11:46am
post #14 of 34

I love this site you or rather I learn something new every time I log on - violet cancels out yellow - I love it.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 9:48pm
post #15 of 34

Thanks for the tip Blakescakes!

I just tried the violet/yellow method, and boy did it make a difference!

I used the Wilton violet coloring, and I just put a little on a toothpick and added it until it was really white -- amazing and easy! thumbs_up.gif

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 34

How smart are you people!!! Never in a million years would I have added violet to make white. This is why I love it here!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 34

Yes that is a great tip. Thank you BlakesCakes. thumbs_up.gif

Schmoop Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 10:51pm
post #18 of 34

That's great to hear! I am off to the cake store this afternoon to get some violet!

I am determined to make this work...I personally don't like icing with any crisco in it myself, so I was not going to try and convince the customer to go with partial or all crisco.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 4:52pm
post #19 of 34

I tried the violet trick this weekend to make a sheet cake that I wanted nice and white (it had lots of pastel roses and I wanted that nice white background) I used a tiny dot of the Lucks (which i just LOVE and its cheaper then americolor) when I creamed the butter and shortening. At first, it looked kind of purplish, but when I added the sugar, it turned into this beautiful, pure white. What a cool cool trick!!!!!! I just learn too much from you guys!

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 5:04pm
post #20 of 34

This is a gret tip! I am compiling a scrap book so to say of recipe's and other ideas. This is definately going in the book! I was taught the 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter for the icing and it seems white enough but since this works I will start to use all butter. I hate the crisco taste! Question though....Can you add the violet any time or just whild you cream the butter?

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:40am
post #21 of 34

I see no reason why you couldn't add the color at any time. I've done it during the creaming process and at the very end and had it work fine.

I think I probably put more when I added it in the early stages because the yellow was more apparent. When adding the violet at the very end, I'd think you'd be adding the very least possible because the white powdered sugar would have had an effect ????

Rae

tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:28pm
post #22 of 34

OMG I just tried this for my first wedding cake coming up this weekend. I did it at the end and I couldn't believe how amazing this was!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:31pm
post #23 of 34

OMG I just tried this for my first wedding cake coming up this weekend. I did it at the end and I couldn't believe how amazing this was!!! icon_biggrin.gif

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:40pm
post #24 of 34

I will definitely be trying the violet cancels yellow method because I HATE crisco icing. Thanks for the tip!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:54pm
post #25 of 34

I guess it's just me but I have tried adding violet a teeny, tiny bit at a time, just like everyone else says, and have ended up with a grayish white looking icing. I have tried this with both Americolor and Wilton.

Maybe my eye is just finer tuned than most to color, but it definitely did not make a bright white either time I tried it. It did remove the yellow tinge, but made it sligtly gray instead. I added only the teeniest bit on the tip of a toothpick.

My recipe is 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco.

I'm glad you are having better luck than I did with this trick.

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:01pm
post #26 of 34

The only way to get true, bright white icing is with an all Crisco recipe. You can, of course, pour copious amounts of icing whitener into an icing with butter, but it will change the texture (and sometimes the taste) of the icing. It can make the icing runny and unable to hold shapes when piped.

If you use the yellow +violet = white, you will get a version of white that could be duller, but it is more white than not. Sometimes what you'll see depends on the type of lighting the cake is in, too.

It just gives you the option of having a better tasting icing that's more white than yellow and an icing that is still the correct consistency for decorating.

Rae

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:16pm
post #27 of 34

i use 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco shortening. the flavor is nice. it also comes out white. i mix it till fluffy.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:41pm
post #28 of 34

Yiou can also find a white butter in most health food stores. You'll pay more for it!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:06am
post #29 of 34

I have completely switched to Hi ratio shortening, and no butter. I have an incrediable recipe that I get a huge amount of compliments on..its not too sweet, yet is very tasty. and not greasy at all, and extremly stable for summer months. But it won't work with crisco...you have to use hi ratio.

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:21am
post #30 of 34

I use all crisco in my buttercream frosting with clear butter flavor to keep it all white. I have never seen this hi ratio shortening that is being talked about (that I know of) here. Could you give me a brand name that I could look for here in Pennsylvania? I would like to try this for the frosting. Thanks for any help. And who would have thought violet cancels out yellow to get white!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%