Results Of My Box Vs. Scratch Experiment...

Decorating By snarkybaker Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 4:30am by twooten173

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 11:36pm
post #61 of 82

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1846221.html#1846221

I posted all three recipes in the recipe forum. The link is above. One think to consider is make sure the vanilla cognac and the white chocolate are served at room temperature. They have high butter content and may seem dry and crumbly when served too cold( The butter solidifies). The chocolate cake( which is the same one used by a lot of CCers) is oil based and so is less finicky in general and would be the first cake I would recommend if you're not an habitual scratch baker. I also made a chocolate cake with Guiness in it today that I really liked. It was very moist and tasty!

Guiness Cake

2 cups Guinness
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)

4 cups all purpose flour
4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups sour cream

For cake:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line with parchment paper. Butter paper. Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:26am
post #62 of 82

Thanks so much for sharing your recipes, can´t wait to try them!!!!

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:33am
post #63 of 82

Wow, great tips! Thanks!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #64 of 82

Thanks!! I'm going to try them thumbs_up.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:03am
post #65 of 82

Thank You!!!!! I'll try them

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:20am
post #66 of 82

Many, many thanks for the recipes!!
(These are the no cal, no carb, no fat recipes, right??) : )

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:44am
post #67 of 82

Thanks for the recipes, I grew up a bake from scrath and I have only started to use boxes since my kids have come along simply for ease. But when I want a real cake or something real special I do it from scratch, there is no substitute.

Thanks again for the recipes.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:22pm
post #68 of 82

Thank you txkat!! I'll be trying them soon! Although I have no idea what Guiness is.......................

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:43pm
post #69 of 82

thanks for the recipies!! Guiness is a type of beer, but not American so the taste is different. Someone please correct me if I don't have it exactly as it should be described. I'm not a beer conosseur!!

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:41pm
post #70 of 82

Thank you for posting your recipes!! I can't wait to try them icon_smile.gif

lisahaslam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisahaslam Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:31pm
post #71 of 82

Those sound really good....would you please share your recipe?!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #72 of 82

Thanks txkat!!! I can't wait to try the recipes!

I'll have to make the Guinness cake for DH ... Guinness is his favorite kind of beer! Off topic, but kind of funny ... DH has this drink every once in a while (with his buddies) called an Irish Car Bomb ... it's a glass of Guinness, and you drop a shot glass of Bailey's Irish Cream in the glass and drink it all at once. He swears that it tastes just like chocolate milk! I say YUCK! I don't like beer, and if I want chocolate milk, I'll drink chocolate milk! icon_lol.gif

liv6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liv6 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:14pm
post #73 of 82

Guiness is an Irish Stout. It's very dark, almost black and is thick.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:16pm
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Quote:

DH has this drink every once in a while (with his buddies) called an Irish Car Bomb ... it's a glass of Guinness, and you drop a shot glass of Bailey's Irish Cream in the glass and drink it all at once. He swears that it tastes just like chocolate milk! I say YUCK! I don't like beer, and if I want chocolate milk, I'll drink chocolate milk! Laughing

Sounds like you need to make a Baileys Mousse filling for your Guiness cake...mmmmmm! icon_biggrin.gif

lisahaslam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisahaslam Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:24pm
post #75 of 82

Thank you VERY much for your help and sending me this recipe. It sounds greatand I can't wait to try it!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:51pm
post #76 of 82

Thanks so much txkat! I know that it's hard sometimes to give away "trade secrets" so to speak, and I understand that, so I really appreciate your willingness to share! I can't wait to try them! Thanks again!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:15pm
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:
Quote:

DH has this drink every once in a while (with his buddies) called an Irish Car Bomb ... it's a glass of Guinness, and you drop a shot glass of Bailey's Irish Cream in the glass and drink it all at once. He swears that it tastes just like chocolate milk! I say YUCK! I don't like beer, and if I want chocolate milk, I'll drink chocolate milk! Laughing

Sounds like you need to make a Baileys Mousse filling for your Guiness cake...mmmmmm! icon_biggrin.gif

What a great idea!!! DH will be thrilled!!! icon_smile.gif

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:13am
post #78 of 82

Thanks so much txkat for sharing with all of us!!! I can't wait to try the recipes.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:34pm
post #79 of 82

Great thread. thumbs_up.gif Thank you all!

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #80 of 82

icon_smile.gif

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:01am
post #81 of 82

icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #82 of 82

I too am pretty much a mix baker. I'm going to try the cognac cake next week. I'd be really interested in what everyone who tries the recipes think.

For the record, last Friday I tried to make a recipe that Daisey gave me. Fiasco!! icon_sad.gif But on a good note, the taste and texture of the cake were very good. Thanks Daisey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%