Help Needed With Piping Please

Decorating By klm34 Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 2:34am by Cakepro

klm34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klm34 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

i'm new to cake and cookie decorating and now that I am COMPLETELY addicted to this site I see how much I have to learn. To be honest I have been more than a bit intimidated by some of the increadible artistry I've seen on this site.

I would love to improve my piping skills. I know it takes practice but I was wondering if anyone has any tips that might help me learn how to pipe designs so perfectly? Thanks for your help! Karen

8 replies
Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #2 of 9

Being a newbie as well my best advice is practice practice practice and dont give up. I created cakes with the little bit i could do well and that gave me confidence to move up. I am now experimenting with roses and such and am far from perfect but am still having fun.

Good luck, you will do great and remember, this is one hobby where you can eat your mistakes!

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:53am
post #3 of 9

I had a look at your photos, and I think your piping is fabulous!

klm34 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 9

thanks for the encouragement. This site has become an inspiration. I guess it's just try try again. icon_biggrin.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 9

You can make a practice board for yourself (or buy the small Wilton one to start.) Put clear vinyl or something that you can see through easily. Then get a hold of one of the Wilton mags that shows how to use various tips (or you can draw out something yourself) and practice piping that way. Put the design under the clear plastic or wax paper, whatever, and trace it.

Use wax paper or clear vinyl to practice writing, etc without anything underneath.

Honestly, when I started learning about piping 20 years ago at Baskin Robbins, that's how I learned the basics. Now, if I want to practice a new technique, I go right back to that drawing board -- literally!

And, of course, practice, practice, practice! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sarah

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with Sarah, purchase or make yourself a practice board, I also practice on plastic containers that I turn upside down to get the gravity effect! Use a turntable (or spice lazy susan to help with turning your pretend cake, then you can easily scrap up your icing and use it again.
You can go online either on the Wilton website and see their step by step instruction or just do a search online for decorating techniques, there are a lot of sites out there.
Have fun!
Paule

klm34 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 9

thanks for the idea of the practice board. I knew there would be some good ideas out there! I couldn't figure out what to pipe on that wouldn't end up a huge mess. I really love the idea of upside down containers for the gravity effect! I'll give that one a try this weekend. icon_smile.gif

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:08am
post #8 of 9

I use the Wilton practice board but also use the back of a cookie sheet for larger items. Helped out a ton and you do not need to wipe it off every 2 minutes.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #9 of 9

Occasionally, a student will take my Course I with various supplies she's collected over time but doesn't have (or want to purchase) the practice board, so I just advise her to use a page protector (the kind that goes in a binder, into which you can slip a full-size sheet of paper) in place of the practice board. I also tell them that the very best practice for things like the shell border is an upside-down cake pan. icon_smile.gif

Your cookies are great! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%