Any Fellow Toronto Cakers Out There?

Decorating By terri-jo Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 4:45am by itsasweetthing

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 42

If so, being new-ish to Toronto, I've got some questions...
let me know if you're out there.

41 replies
jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 42

Hi Terri Jo!!!!

Welcome! I'm from Brampton about a half hour from TO thumbs_up.gif

terri-jo Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 42

YEA!!! Hi jovigirl! Here's what I'm wondering, where are the best places for supplies? I did my courses at McCaul's, and they have pretty much everything, but not so cheap. I went once to Golda's Kitchen and it's even more pricey there. I don't even mind that so much as it takes forever to get there (I'm in East York) and that's not so easy with three small kids. There must be other places....where do you go for your stuff? BTW, I LOVE your seashells! Thanks a million, and even if you have no ideas, it's nice to be in contact with someone from around here!!

Terri-Jo

jovigirl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 42

Sorry for the delay....
Are you looking for anything in particular....
michaels has a few things & every week they have a coupon in the flyer for 40% off, also there is a store called Bulk Barn that has a few things...

Nice to meet you thumbs_up.gif

PM me anytime!!!!

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 1:24am
post #5 of 42

I'm also from the area...well, close to it. Newcastle.

I get all my supplies from Michaels and although I don't personally get a coupon (darn it!), my family and friends provide me with some and therefore, most of the stuff I've gotten is with the 40% off coupons. I'm not sure of the other places you mentioned, but I get some things like meringue powder and icing sugar at the Bulk Barn...way cheaper then the grocery store or Michaels.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 42

Hi! I'm from Brampton too, but live in Burlington right now. I get most of my supplies from Michaels when there is the 40% off coupon like previously mentioned and I also love the Bulk Barn. They sell the icing colours and like was also mentioned, icing sugar and meringue powder, etc. They have other cake supplies also like pans, tips, bags etc.

Good luck with your supply search.

Jen

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 42

Hey there! I live out in Scarbaria, Scarborough! Yeah, its a real pain having to travel out west for supplies. Usually, I go to Bulk Barn, but there is a small cake supply store that comes in handy. Its on Eglinton and Brimly called CakeParty. Its across the street from No Frills by the bowling alley. Its not bad, and the prices are pretty good thumbs_up.gif

dyenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyenana Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 42

Checkout www.cakescanada.com

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 42

hi there, welcome to the site....i live in scarborough as well and sometimes you can find stuff in walmart and canadian tire....i'll have to try that cakeparty icon_smile.gif there's a place called scoop and weigh down, i think, on morningside and lawrence...some of his stuff is ok but it can give you a price comparison at least.....

SugarBakers05 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 42

Hey JelliGirl, that's close to me, is that store any good? I passed it yesterday when we were driving, and I mean to check it out sometime.

jovigirl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 42

Nice To meet you all!!!!

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:19am
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal

Hey JelliGirl, that's close to me, is that store any good? I passed it yesterday when we were driving, and I mean to check it out sometime.

sorry pascal for the delayed response...i was at work and sneaking online at the time icon_wink.gif

it is okay in there, it's a little on the pricey side for some of his things and i think the guys name is dave and he is really nice but loves to talk icon_lol.gif
he has alot of stuff in there and teaches classes from time to time....i think he belongs to a cake club in toronto that my teacher had told me about and for the life of me, i can't remember the name of it....i just think that because we live up here, we will have to pay more than our friends south of the border icon_sad.gif

SugarBakers05 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 42

Thanks JelliGirl. I hear you on the sneaking( hard to type with one hand, and looking over your shoulder for the boss! icon_lol.gif I'll check them out on the weekend. I'll compare them to CakeParty and see who comes out the winner!

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 42

Hi there! I'm in Mississauga. Been a caker for 2 years. Took 2 classes at Golda's, 1 at George Brown and just started one at McCall's last night!
It's so nice to meet you all!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 42

Hi all,
I'm in King City (North Central) King-Vaughn area...
You might check out

Geraldine Randlesome's: Creative Cutters

Online:
http://www.creativecutters.com/index.cfm

She is a name in the industry and probably more expensive than cheap, but they do offer some superior classes for gumpaste flowers etc. They are in Richmond Hill (also North Central) and I keep meaning to pop in and check it out myself...life is so busy!

Anyway...welcome to the area!
-cp

terri-jo Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 42

wow, am I glad I started this thread!! It's so great to "meet" all you fellow ontario (and one alberta) cakers! Thanks for all the great advice...very helpful. It's nice to know there's help and interest and support so close by.

Hope you enjoy the class at McCaul's, meihana... I did, and learned a lot.

Maybe we'll all meet up one day

Terri-jo

dyenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyenana Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:49pm
post #17 of 42

If you guys look at the member spotlight...Another Canadian & fellow Albertan!!!

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:12pm
post #18 of 42

Hi everybody - it's nice to meet some fellow Ontarians (and Albertan)!! I'm about an hour west of Toronto, in Cambridge. I ditto everyone's advice about Michael's and Bulk Barn - I love the $2.00 pan rentals at Bulk Barn!! Another store I like is Benix & Co.; they don't have a LOT of specifically cake decorating tools but that's where I got my long spatula and lazy susan....And my Wilton 1 instructor (my very first class was last night - I'm so excited to finally be taking it!) just recommended a place called Paderno Cookware. I don't know if you have either of those in Toronto..? I imagine they might be in one of your malls?

mum1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum1205 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #19 of 42

Hi everyone...wow...I didn't realize that there were so many of us here. I am in Etobicoke, and recently found www.cakescanada.com has a lot of information and a forum specifically for cake supplies. If you have a business license, Mccall's Bakers Warehouse has great prices (it's in Mississauga) and I also found World of Cake Decorating in the Weston Road and Lawrence area, but have not been able to compare their prices yet. I went to Creative Cutters last week...very knowledgeable and helpful staff, but on the pricey side.

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:06pm
post #20 of 42

Actually, I just joined McCall's Bakers Warehouse via a "Club Card". $25 for the year and unlimited access to the warehouse. Nice! I picked up my airbrush there much cheaper than at their retail store! McCall's is awesome!

jovigirl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:42pm
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by meihana

Actually, I just joined McCall's Bakers Warehouse via a "Club Card". $25 for the year and unlimited access to the warehouse. Nice! I picked up my airbrush there much cheaper than at their retail store! McCall's is awesome!

Can you hook me up with one of those "club cards"? thumbs_up.gif
I would to check out there warehouse!!! Not to mention it would be a lot closer icon_rolleyes.gif

terri-jo Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:55pm
post #22 of 42

Yeah, really!! do you mean you can get a card without a business or venders licence? I want one!! I really love the McCaul's products...I just don't wanna pay retail. How do I one???

mum1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum1205 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:01pm
post #23 of 42

A friend just called to tell me that the McCall's warehouse is open starting today, March 14, until the 23rd for a warehouse sale...open to the public. I don't know if their prices will be any better than what you get if you are already a member, but I will try going, if my little ones let me!!! You may want to call them for specific info...905-602-9622

jovigirl Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:30am
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum1205

A friend just called to tell me that the McCall's warehouse is open starting today, March 14, until the 23rd for a warehouse sale...open to the public. I don't know if their prices will be any better than what you get if you are already a member, but I will try going, if my little ones let me!!! You may want to call them for specific info...905-602-9622

Thanks for the tip, I called today but could get a hold of anyone to ask. I think I'll take a drive up tomorrow just to see since my girls will be with Grandma icon_rolleyes.gif

jovigirl Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:25pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum1205

Thanks for the tip! I just got a hold of the warehouse & the sale ia on til tomorrow open from 10-4pm. They also told me that they are selling memberships to the public no business or license needed for a limited time & it cost $25 but they give you a 10$ gift certificate so it really only cost $15 & the membership is good for a year!!!

Yeah, I'm going shopping icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jovigirl Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:06pm
post #26 of 42

Hi Friends!

I need help! I'm looking for a 12" hexagon shape cake pan, I really don't want to spend $50 icon_surprised.gif on a set & I can't find anywhere that sells it alone or that will rent it.
The 2 Michaels somewhat close to me don't have it either, so I can't even use the coupon on it icon_cry.gif
If anyone here has one that is will to rent it to me or even sell it, I would really apreciate it. I'm willing to pick it up & bring it back thumbs_up.gif

Thank you!!!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Hi Friends!

I need help! I'm looking for a 12" hexagon shape cake pan, I really don't want to spend $50 icon_surprised.gif on a set & I can't find anywhere that sells it alone or that will rent it.
The 2 Michaels somewhat close to me don't have it either, so I can't even use the coupon on it icon_cry.gif
If anyone here has one that is will to rent it to me or even sell it, I would really apreciate it. I'm willing to pick it up & bring it back thumbs_up.gif

Thank you!!!

Hi Jovigirl,
Try Bulk Barn....there are many outlets so likely one in your area

jovigirl Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaPaloma

Hi Jovigirl,
Try Bulk Barn....there are many outlets so likely one in your area

I did & they don't have it for rental just for sale at full price. That was the first place I checked.

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:09am
post #29 of 42

I was just wondering where this McCauls (or McCalls) warehouse is located? I'm in Newcastle and if my hubby and I are in the Toronto area, I would love to get a membership. Is there a website to buy online???

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:24am
post #30 of 42

The McCall's retail store is in Etobicoke, right near Kipling subway station, on Bloor West. The wholesale store is in Mississauga. Both are good, but the store drives me crazy being "sold out" of so many things all the time. Every time I go for something, it's "out". The warehouse is stocked better. (They seem to care more!)

www.mccalls-cakes.com

So great to see so many fellow Torontonians and GTA members!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%