Any Fellow Toronto Cakers Out There?

Decorating By terri-jo Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 4:45am by itsasweetthing

Maureen1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maureen1971 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:17am
post #31 of 42

Bringing up an older thread... It's 1am and I'm still doing "catch up" reading!

Of all the stores listed, which ones are the best? I use the McCalls (The Baker's Warehouse) on Fewster in Mississauga as well as Golda's, Michaels and the Bulk Barn.

Are the stores in Toronto worth the drive? How does the stock compare to the other stores? I am going to the Bakers Warehouse and to Golda's on Saturday and was just thinking it might be better to head into Toronto instead?

Next question - does anyone know what might be found towards the border? In the Falls or Buffalo? My sugar-booger took me to the Falls back in February for the weekend. I saw a store near our hotel (Park Plaza?), but never actually made it into the store to see what it was all about. Can't even rememebr the name of it... maybe I'll head out that way in a couple weeks. A lot closer for me than Toronto.

Any other suggestions? I wish I had something new to contribute here, but I can't think of ANYTHING (sorry).

ShannanM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannanM Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:29am
post #32 of 42

From Napanee, ON. Very new to this site, but already addicted. I LOVE Bulk Barn!

Tolinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tolinda Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:34am
post #33 of 42

wow its so exciting to see other cc'ers that are so close by! i grew up in toronto and am currently residing in mississauga although i am ALWAYS down there. i just started cake decorating just as a hobby. so i too would like to know where i could get cake supplies for cheapest! and which newspaper does the michaels coupons come in?

Maureen1971 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:51am
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolinda

wow its so exciting to see other cc'ers that are so close by! i grew up in toronto and am currently residing in mississauga although i am ALWAYS down there. i just started cake decorating just as a hobby. so i too would like to know where i could get cake supplies for cheapest! and which newspaper does the michaels coupons come in?

I don't get the flyers at allas there isn't one close to me. I work in Burlington, so I usually go by when I'm out doing the banking or on my way home. All you have to do is tell the cashier that you do not get the flyer delivered to your house - they will hand you a sheet and ask you to fill in your name and postal code, and then they'll apply the discount... no coupon needed!

Tolinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tolinda Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:11am
post #35 of 42

wow really? i didn't know that. just a couple of days ago i bought a few things from there. thanks maureen for the info. but just out of curiousity, does it come as a flyer or in a newspaper?

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:12am
post #36 of 42

icon_smile.gif Hi Fellow cakers. I live in the east (Oshawa). I purchase some of my items online from Creative Cutters in Richmond Hill. As you are closer to this location, maybe check out the online prices & if they are o.k. you can shop there? From time to time e bay has some great cake supply deals. Plus if you narrow your search to Canada, the shipping is less.Ciao.

Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.[/i]

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:35am
post #37 of 42

Hello all you canucks! I am living in Florence kY and grew up in Timmins but we call Toronto home. (cried when the Leafs lost oh well).
If memory serves me right at the end of April or in May there is going to be a decorating and sugar show at the Toronto Convention Centre. You should look into it since these shows only come around once a year.
There you will meet all the producers in the area and most probably so. ont. so you will see what they have to sell. A lot of them do demos of things you will just ogle at but never attempt and some of you will be challenged enough and be prompted to do so.
Also, look at joining ICES which is the cake decorating club that is international. They have clubs all over the US and these clubs do a DOS which is a (day of sharing). For example on April 28-29th the woman who owns crazy cutters (I forget the proper name) is coming down as the keynote speaker and demonstrator for the Columbus OH DOS. I know there are some chapters in Michigan (Detroit) and you can check to see if there are some in Buffalo or Niagara Falls. I did not do any research before replying to this otherwise I would have included contacts.
When I lived in High Park McCalls was the best however if your MIchael's will give you a coupon at the store that is great too as they do not do that down here. If you do not have a coupon in this town you are out of luck.
There are a lot of members from Canada on the site and if you bump the topic a couple of times you might get their responses eventually.
Good luck in finding supplies, I live at Bulk Barn when I am at the cottage (my kids get 3 mos. off from school) and I wish there was something similar down here. Also, Bulk Barn also carries another brand of fondant which is cheaper and might be a better choice for those of you who hate the taste of the Wilton brand. Worth a try.
Good luck and happy decorating.

Maureen1971 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:11pm
post #38 of 42

http://www.sweetsexpo.ca/

Just did a search on Yahoo to find more info on the expo that Chiara mentioned. It has been cancelled for 2007 - to return 2008.

That stinks.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #39 of 42

icon_smile.gif Regarding Michaels. My Wilton instructor told me when purchasing items at Michaels & you do not have a 40% off coupon, to simply tell them you did not receive a coupon in the newspaper, they will ask for your postal code & then they will give you the 40% off. I have done this six times & never have a problem with the cashier. If they give you any grief, just let them know this was authorized by the cake class instructor.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:37am
post #40 of 42

Hello fellow Canucks! There is an upcoming Cake competition/expo at the Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga on April 20 and 21st. Here's the link for those of you who would like to check it out! thumbs_up.gif http://www.bravo.ca/connect/events/eventDetails.asp?eventID=3146

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 5:06am
post #41 of 42

Hi
I am also from Mississauga.,Ontario.
I go to McCall's, they are supplier in Etobicoke- www.mccalls-cakes.com
but if you have a registered business you can shop at a discounted price at their "Bakers Warehouse" in Mississauga. It's at Dixie & Eglinton.
Hope this helps.

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:45am
post #42 of 42

Hi
Just found out that McCall's Baker's Warehouse is now open to the public!!!! I believe that you pay a $25 yearly fee and your in!
Prices are very good and the staff is quite helpful.
But, they do run low on stock quickly and then it takes up to a few months to get the items back in stock again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%