Party Planning + Cake Decorating = Big Nono

Decorating By dandelion Updated 10 Jan 2006 , 5:47am by dandelion

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:56am
post #1 of 10

i've learned my lesson: don't procrastinate. icon_razz.gif i waited until monday of this week to start planning my birthday party for this friday (tomorrow icon_eek.gif ). boy has it been difficult to invite all the people, confirm that they're coming, arrange what to do, what to eat, etc. phew!
AND i planned to make my own birthday cake. well...i was making the cake tonight and it didn't really get done. i managed to make the icing so thin that even as i iced it it was sliding off the cake. and then i ran out of icing after piping the bottom border. plus my mother got mad at me for making a mess in the kitchen (which i tend to do when i make a cake icon_lol.gif ). icon_cry.gif
i ended up putting the mess of a cake in the fridge half finished, cleaning up the kitchen, and :drum roll please:.....asking my mom to see if she can buy a quarter sheet cake from costco icon_redface.gif a gigantic blow to my i-can-decorate-a-cake-better-than-the-safeway-person-can pride. icon_cry.gif

oh well, lesson learned. and i promise i won't blab about making my own wedding cake when i grow up anymore icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 8:24am
post #2 of 10

dandelion,

Sorry that your cake and icing didn't behave...we all have been in your shoes one time or another icon_cry.gif

Wishing you a happy birthday birthday.gifparty.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 9:25am
post #3 of 10

Awwww, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I have been in your shoes!

Have a wonderful birthday!!

~ Sherri

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 11:12am
post #4 of 10

I completely understand! For the past 6 years, I have been making my godson's birthday cakes but, that was all I had to do for the party.

This past year was the first time I actually made my own kids' cakes. We always have a big summer picnic/birthday party for my two oldest girls (3 & 4 now). I am always making so much of the food that I never made their cake. Until this year and then I stupidly let them each pick out what they wanted. So not only did I have one cake to make but now two. Needless to say, I was up until 3am finishing the cakes. They loved them so it was worth it. But, next year, 1 cake! icon_lol.gif

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 10

Happy Birthday!!! party.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

PastryChef2B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PastryChef2B Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 10

Aw, I'm sorry that happened. icon_sad.gif Happy Birthday though!

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 10

Happy Birthday party.gif Well it can only get better!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 10

Awwh, kiddo, rest assured we have all done that at least once. But you made a valiant effort! Happy Birthday!
Hugs Squirrelly

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 10

I did a cake one time on 24 hours notice. I won't rush again for something like that, not for an "unpaid" one, for sure. The day/night I started making the cake layers it was nice and cold, (late November). The next day, when I had to deliver it? 85 degrees. Icing was melting ALL over the place. The FORMER friend, even commented it was a good thing I wasn't charging her for the cake. tapedshut.gif

Don't be discouraged about making your own party cakes, but you obviously learned a lesson not to wait, and to plan ahead. Take the advice that some here do for their businesses, and don't be afraid to have a few cake layers in the freezer, just in case.

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 5:47am
post #10 of 10

thanks for all the encouragement!
i think i've learned my lesson...plan ahead!icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%