I'm Making 250 Cupcakes How Early Can I Make Them?

Decorating By siahsammi Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 4:06pm by lfkeller

siahsammi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siahsammi Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 31

I'm making 250 cupcakes how early do i make them? And how do I store them if i don't have room in the fridge? Or should I make room? Please help i'ts Sunday today and I need to have them done by Saturday March 3 2007.

30 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 31

I would bake them and freeze them as I go. I am a big fan of freezing cakes. When properly wrapped and stored, freezing produces no adverse effects on the cake/cupcakes. icon_smile.gif

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 31

I would make them on the day only not a freezer person only peas and ice cream if you froze them what about the paper cups!!!!!Interested to know....I like my cakes fresh and worry about the freezer but hopefully there will be more experienced freezers than me. Good luck!!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 31

I would freeze them. I do that all the time with my cakes and have had no problems at all.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 31

Go with the freezer. It will make your life so much easier and they will taste delicious! When I have leftover batter I make cupcakes and pop them into the freezer....they are moist, delicious and yummy. I have an order for 6 dozen cupcakes next Saturday....I made them yesterday. Now I don't have to worry about it! icon_wink.gif

LeeAnn Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 31

please tell me do you freeze them in there paper cupcakes????How do they look after.

cheekysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekysweets Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 31

yes I am curiuos too I would like to know if you freeze them in the paper I love freezing cakes!!!!!!!!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 31

What if you use the foil cups? They should be okay, I would think, in the freezer.....I've never done this either but would like to know, may have an order for 100. Can you freeze with IMBC on them? and what about if you filled them with the twinkie filling.....would love to know.....

Thanks!

Tammy

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 31

LeeAnn

I have two dozen sitting in the freezer right now in paper cups. The paper cups never had a problem with them. Never had a problem freezing baked goods. I work full time and baking items ahead of time is helpfull. If you freeze your product right then they will be just as good as you bake them. That is my thought. I allways make sure I have a box of baking soda in the freezer to absorb smells. I hope this helps.

siahsammi, my thought bake, put in containers and freeze. Their is no way you cake bake 250 cupcakes in one day, frost and deliver. Most bakeries can not do that unless the cupcake are for the evening. I would also make the frosting ahead of time that way you can strart the night before and the morning of frosting the cupcakes.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 31

Yes, I freeze them in the paper cups. They don't look any different when they thaw out than when I pulled them out of the oven. I package them for orders and I sell them individually in my shop. During our Crawfish Festival (in late April) I go through about 400 cupcakes, 100 slices of cake, 20-40 dozen cookies, pounds and pounds of fudge, and countless pounds of handmade candy. I have already started getting ready for this festival with the exception of the candy...I make it last...about 1 week before the festival. If you package your baked goods tightly and get all of the air out they will taste fresh, flavorful, and just baked. Try freezing it and you will not be disappointed. thumbs_up.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 31

gibson,

I put the filling in the day before or the day of, then I decorate the cupcakes.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 31

I've also frozen them in foil cups. Not a problem. I do not, however, freeze them with any sort of filling or icing. Just plain baked cupcakes. I also take them straight from the freezer, stick them in the cupcake holders, fill them, ice them and put the lid on. I never really "handle the cupcakes"...that just creates more work.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 31

I freeze cupcakes alot. They do fine in the paper liners or the foil ones. JUst thaw them completely before you take them out of their packaging. I have a dedicated freezer for cakes and cupcakes so I don't get any other odors in the freezer.

LeeAnn Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 31

Thanks everyone!!!!!!

siahsammi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 31

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU I WILL TRY TO FREEZE THEM. BUT WITH SERAN WRAP?

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 31

icon_eek.gif If you freeze anything with only saran wrap it will surely get freezer burned. Put them in a ziploc freezer bag...

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:39pm
post #17 of 31

I freeze cupcakes ALL the time. No problem. I use the foil cupcake liners and freeze in ziplock freezer bags.

They come out fresh as can be.

LeeAnn Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:51pm
post #18 of 31

Do you defrost the night before!!!!Or how many hours roughly does it take!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:01pm
post #19 of 31

You can do either. I have defrosted the night before and I have defrosted in the morning and decorated a couple of hours later.

It doesn't take long for them to thaw. I have never filled them, though. I'm just talking about putting icing on them after they have defrosted.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 10:44pm
post #20 of 31

It takes about 30 minutes for a cupcake to thaw out.

LeeAnn Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 7:42am
post #21 of 31

wow is that all thanks.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 1:11pm
post #22 of 31

Yea, it doesn't take very long at all! This is what I do...step for step.

1. Bake the cupcakes (48 at a time) in white paper cups as soon as the order comes in
2. take cupcakes straight from oven to ziploc freezer bag and put in the freezer. I package them in 12's that way I can look and see how many dozen I have.
3. A few hours before I need them I take them from the freezer and put them in the cupcake box (clear box designed for cupcakes)
4. By the time I get them all in the boxes and fill my bags (filling and icing) I am ready to begin. I fill and ice 1 dozen at a time (it just breaks the larger orders up in my head)
5. Then I go back and decorate (sprinkle, candy, gumpaste, whatever), close the lid, label the package, and it's ready

I can do lots of cupcakes really quick this way! Anyway, that's just what I do. icon_wink.gif

siahsammi Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 31

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU! i TOOK ALL OF YOUR ADVISE AND IT IS GOING REALLY GOOD. I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT WENT. I AM GOING TO START TO DECORATE FRIDAY.THANKS A BUNCH!

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 31

I have tried freezing them and they seem to have a damp top to them after they have defrosted. I leave them wrapped in a ziplock bag while defrosting. What am I doing wrong?
Sandy

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #25 of 31

I too have had the dampness. Would love to know what I'm doing wrong as well.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #26 of 31

That will go away once you take them from the bag. I leave mine on the counter just a bit, and that extra moisture will go away.

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #27 of 31

I freeze them ,when I take them out I wait about 30 min poke some holes and pour some syrup works great.
1/2 cup sugar
1cup water
1tablespoon vanilla or almond extract
boil water and sugar let cool add extract. thumbs_up.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:31pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

stick them in the cupcake holders, fill them, ice them and put the lid on. I never really "handle the cupcakes"...that just creates more work.

I have never thought of icing and decorating them in the actual holders! That is genius! I always line them up on my table to ice, then worry about messing them up while I put them into the containers! You just saved me tons of time! Thanks!

lfkeller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lfkeller Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:42pm
post #29 of 31

For those of you who fill your cupcakes...

Do you put back in paper cup after you fill them? How exactly do you fill them, how do you know when you have put enough it them.

I am new. I want to make some cupcakes for church this sunday. I found a recipe for twinkie filling I thought I might use. I am considering frosting smooth and adding a wilton rose to the top of each one of them made with bc. But for those of you who top with a swirly design, how do you do it?

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:33pm
post #30 of 31

I fill my cupcakes using a #32 tip and decorating bag w/filling. I just poke the tip into the cupcake and squeeze. I don't take them out of the paper cup...it would ruin the cup.

Use the large star tip, I don't know the exact number but it's a large tip (not regular size), and just swirl using a circle motion to get the cute "cupcake swirl" on top. Or you can swirl a #12 for a more elegant look.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%