Freezing Cakes

Decorating By bryn Updated 22 Mar 2005 , 5:53pm by m0use

bryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bryn Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 3:48am
post #1 of 8

icon_rolleyes.gif
\\hi there anyone out there that can tell me about how to freeze a cake a head of wedding time .

7 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 5:07am
post #2 of 8

All you do is level the cake, let it cool completely then wrap it up good in tinfoil. You can even use saran wrap along w/ the tinfoil. If the cake is small enough you can put it in a freezer ziploc bag. For larger cakes I wrap w/ tinfoil & put them in trash bags. Tie it tight & put it in the freezer! Take the cakes out of the freezer a day before or night before you decorate them. Leave them wrapped in tinfoil till ready to decorate. YOu can either freeze them on cake boards or without cake boards. Some people say the boards will swell up & cause the cake to be unlevel. Haven't had any problems yet. You can freeze cakes for a long time. Some people freeze them for a year. I only freeze for 1 month. I just freeze cakes ahead of time when I'm doing a wedding cake. It saves lots of time & back aches!! All you have to do is decorate the cake & go! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 8

i would wrap it in plastic wrap first. i wrapped a cake in foil before and when i went to remove it, it stuck to the cake. plastic rap first, then foil, if you're going go that route?

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 8

I love using freezer paper!
I wrap my cooled cakes up in saran wrap first, than freezer paper and then place them into the freezer.
What I like about freezer paper is that it comes very wide in the box, and there's a lot of it in the box for no more than $4 - $5 (US). I usually buy this at walmart and a box of it will last me a long time.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 8

Unless it's a small cake that I'm doing for the same day I do freeze mine for at least overnight. I find it easier to stack layers and move larger cakes if they are at least partially frozen. Wedding cakes and multiple layer projects I get baked ahead and freeze. I wrap each cake both ways with Wal Marts inexpensive stretchable wrap ( best I've ever used) and then wrap it again to cover all the ends. I've never felt I needed to use foil because I use plenty of plastic. I have however learned to fold the end of each piece of wrap back a few times to make it easy to find later. Like truing to find the end of the transparent tape UGH! I don't wrap on individual boards but will put a large cake on a plastic cutting board and then set it in the freezer on that. That way it's on a flat surface since I can't always put it on a shelf, and to aviod the lines from the shelves themselves. It is very important to keep them flat. I usually don't level before I freeze because I feel it preserves some of the moisture but I'm going to level first the next time to compare. The last cake I made was a pill to level because it was still slightly frozen in the center. I leveled fine with icing but it's jaut a little more trouble. Since I don't keep them frozen for long I imagine it'd matter much. Tina always levels her first so it must be so. Ü

bryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bryn Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 8

thank you so much for your help. I'm also looking for a real good site for cakes supplies. one that can be trusted and i can have no probs. with. thanx again....bryn

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 8

I wrap twice in plastic wrap and then in foil unless it is just for overnight then I don't use the foil.

Debbie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

There are sooo many......
http://www.sugarcraft.com/ -I haven't had issues with them, but some people have
http://www.nycake.com/index.asp -have yet to order from here
http://www.pastrychef.com/ -they have kinds of cool stuff icon_biggrin.gif I have ordered from them as well, no problems yet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%