How Thin Do You Roll Your Cookies?

Decorating By MoiraRD Updated 10 Nov 2005 , 6:19pm by llj68

MoiraRD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoiraRD Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 13

Hi!

I just got my dobord and of course had to make a batch of cookies to test it out. icon_smile.gif

I used Toba Garrett's butter cookie recipe and rolled it to the recommended 1/8" thick, but I found that it was a little too thin. I am going to ice them with her glace' icing, but what I was wondering is, how thick do all of you roll out your dough?

I like the uniformity that the dobord gives my cookies, but thinking maybe I should roll it a bit thicker next time. What do you think? Thanks so much for your input! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 13

Haven't used her recipe but that is pretty standard, most roll out cookies are rolled to between 1/8 to 1/4 with most sugar cookies coming in at 1/8 inch.
Hugs Squirrelly

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 13

Hi,
My family likes the cookies to be thick and chewey. I make them at least 1/4 inch thick, and let them bake until the sides begin to brown, thefore they're never burned on the bottom. Because of the thickness I always double the recipe. Hope this helps.
Emi

MoiraRD Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks so much, Squirrelly and emi! icon_biggrin.gif

I have never used her recipe before and was curious myself. Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Moira

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 13

Mine are at 1/4 inch thick.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 13

did twice...see below!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 13

Mine are always 1/4" to 1/3" thick. The more complicated a shape I am cutting out, or the skinnier the cutter...the thicker I do it for strength.

1/8" is too thin!! That's a wafer!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 13

Heehee, well, I am using a lot of old traditional recipes, so that is what I go by. In fact many say 1/16 inch, but I have always gone the 1/8 to 1/4 depending too, on how much they rise. Haha, I have been making cookies for 41 years, pretty much the same old way, haha except no longer using egg whites or using toothpicks to decorate with. You can go with whatever you feel works for you. A lot too, depends on what you are doing with the cookie dough. You can do the traditional circles or decorated cookies. With some recipes you will lose or distort the shape if you go too thick.
Heehee in the cookie decorating arena I guess I feel like that mother superior in Sister Act, I fear I have lost my tambourine, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

MoiraRD Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks so much, everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

I was feeling that 1/8 was too thin. They are almost looking like crackers! icon_surprised.gif

I used a heart cutter and a scalloped circle cutter. The recipe said that it should get 3 1/2 dozen, but rolling the cookies as thin as she recommends gave me 6 1/2 dozen!! icon_eek.gif

I am definitely going to go thicker the next time. I love the dobord, though. Anyone else using one?

Moira

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 5:13am
post #10 of 13

I put cookie sticks on either side of my rolling pin and roll my dough out. Works great for me. I am not good and estimating thickness.

Princess

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 5:58am
post #11 of 13

i usually make mine pretty think maybe 1/4-1/3"
I mostly make cookies for birthday favors. I don't like goodie bags.
If you have ever been to Cookies By Design I'd have to say mine are as thick as theirs. I aslo think when they are thick they hold sticks better.
Michelle

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 13

I was going to buy a Dobourd (sp?) but made one of my own to roll cookies 1/4 inch on one side and 1/2 inch on the flip side. It cost all of $2.00 to make. I used an old piece of melamine covered shelving and bought two thin strips of wood 24" long each. I just nailed the strips to the sides of my shelving, a walah, a homemade Dobourd. My friend loves it and I'll be making her one for Christmas.

I've been making cookies most of my life and this has cut my roll out/cutting time in half. I brag that I can mix, cut, bake 60 cookies in one hour. And have a clean kitchen too. My friend just dies when I tell her this. But it's all because of the Dobourd.

Now if I can work in getting double ovens installed into my kitchen..........

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Heehee, well, I am using a lot of old traditional recipes, so that is what I go by. In fact many say 1/16 inch, but I have always gone the 1/8 to 1/4 depending too, on how much they rise. Haha, I have been making cookies for 41 years, pretty much the same old way, haha except no longer using egg whites or using toothpicks to decorate with. Squirrelly Cakes

Oh the MEMORIES!!!! I remember, as a kid, helping my grandma decorate cookies with egg whites and toothpicks!! I had forgotten about that!!

Oh--and fwiw, I always roll them to a minimum of 1/4" thick depending on what I'm doing with them. If they are for a bouquet and I'm putting sticks in them, I may even go a bit thicker--not much, though. I find that they hold shape just fine as long as I put the cut cookies in the fridge for about 10 minutes prior to baking.

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%