A chocolate cupcake baked in a hollowed-out orange shell. I saw this idea on a TV show and had to try it, the combination of chocolate and orange flavors is delicious!
- Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 small pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- To prepare oranges: Cut each orange in half crosswise and scoop out the insides. Slice a thin layer from the bottom of each orange to make a flat surface. Brush orange extract on the inside of each orange half. Cover the outside of each orange shell with aluminum foil, and place the foil wrapped orange shells in a jumbo muffin pan.
To prepare cupcake batter: Pour all of the ingredients, except for chocolate chips, into a large mixing bowl. Mix together on low for 2 minutes, then stir in the chocolate chips.
Fill the orange halves about 2/3 full and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Turn pan halfway through baking time for even cooking.
This sounds great, but does the orange shell bake mushie?
No, it doesn't get mushy at all...it actually stays quite fresh because of the foil :)
I am always looking for new ideas for dessert for my residents at a senior community. This sould great but what kind of frosting would you use. I was thinking of maybe making an orange buttercream with the orange that was scooped out.
how many cupcakes does this make? what size of orange would be better? what would be the best frosting match for this?
Sorry I didn't see these comments sooner! I used an Italian meringue frosting, but an orange flavored frosting would be very nice.
I just used regular sized navel oranges, and I can't remember how many it made, sorry!
Might seem like a silly question, but are the cupcakes served in the orange or do you remove them from the orange prior to serving?
Login To Leave A Comment