This is one of the most famous cakes in the caribbean. This cake is mainly used for weddings and on holidays. hope you enjoy.
- *1 lb butter or margarine
- *1 lb granulated sugar
- *2-3 lbs dried Fruits e.g. (1lb raisins,1/2lb sultanas,1/2lb cherries,1/2lb prunes,1/2lb currants,1/2lb mixed peel,l1/2lb almonds finely crushed)
- (N.B. use as many or as little fruits as you like)
- * 1 cup of wine to soak fruits in.
- *6-8 eggs well beaten
- *1 tsp vanilla extract
- *1 tsp Almond extract
- *1 tsp lemon juice
- *1 tsp lemon rind
- * 1tsp cinnamon
- * 1 tsp nutmeg
- * 1/2 tsp all spice
- * 1/4 tsp ginger
- * 1/4 tsp mace
- * 1/8 tsp clove
- *11/2 lb all purpose flour
- * 2 tsp baking powder
about 1/4 cup of gravy browning for colour
1. Grease 10″ inch round and preheat oven to 350 degrees C.
2. Soak fruits overnight in wine or simmer fruits in wine under low heat in sauce pan for 5min.
3. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in wine and fruit in creamed mixture, mixing until fruits are evenly distributed.(N.B. If you don’t like to have huge chunks of fruits in your cake simply Blend the fruits with the wine after simmering or soaking and then add to the butter mixture.)
4. Beat in eggs, lemon juice ,rind and extracts until fully incorperated.
5. sift together flour and ground spices. slowly add to batter until fully incorperated.
6. Mix in browning.
7. pour batter into pan and bake for 40 min or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
NOTE: Fruit cake is very delicious and can be eaten right away or left to age for up to a year without refrigeration, THe Aging process can be done by pouring at leat 4 tblsp of wine over the cake weekly to help preserve . This Cake should be served to adults only.