? On Duplications

Decorating By veejaytx Updated 28 Oct 2005 , 12:08am by Jackie

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 5:57pm
post #31 of 72

I just think since most of the contests are holliday themed it will take away a lot of the inspiration and fun of the holiday. Isn't the point of this site to SHARE??? Do we have to make a new gallery that says "Holiday ideas for use during the actual holiday"

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 5:58pm
post #32 of 72

I don't think it should stop but I think everyone should take the time to vote on the poll and if the majority of members feel this is something they want to see happen, present it to Jackie and Heath for them to consider.

Vote on the Poll

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 6:04pm
post #33 of 72

I'm not upset that someone else liked my cake so much that she wanted to duplicate it herself, I take that as a great compliment. The galleries/forums here are for inspiration of ideas and to share these ideas. I love looking at all the wonderful handiwork of other sugarcrafters. However, I find it very unethical and just plain wrong to "plagiarize", you know, copying someone else's work and passing it off as it were your own and not giving credit to those you took it from. (if your kids did this with a report in school - would this be OK with you?)Even if it were as simple as "I got the idea from someone on cakecenteral" then this would at least show that she/he is not being arrogant about their plagiarization and will be acknowledging someone else tacitly. Yes, it is true that there will be similar cakes done, but it will be very hard for the plagiarizer to show that their version is indeed original to them. They would have to be vastly different and not merely "twins" of each other. Go right ahead and compliment my handiwork by recreating it yourself, please! But do give me the common courtesy of the credit or even PM a thank you for the idea.

Lisa Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 6:07pm
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

I just think since most of the contests are holliday themed it will take away a lot of the inspiration and fun of the holiday. Isn't tte point of this site to SHARE??? Do we have to make a new gallery that says "Holiday ideas for use during the actual holiday"

That's definitely something to consider. Move the date up and who's making a holiday cake that early...make the contest photos private and we might miss out on some great ideas.

If you look long term though...there will be contest galleries for Halloween 2005 and galleries for Halloween 2006 and so on.

There are also holiday galleries for viewing that are unrelated to the contest galleries.

Then there is the forum which is full of endless ideas.

I don't think we'll have a lack of inspiration but we might have a better contest...theoretically. I have no idea the impact this would have on the number of entries, how many times they're viewed or how people might vote.

I'm still undecided about how I feel. Sometimes change isn't for the better and sometimes you don't know that until after the fact.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 6:09pm
post #35 of 72

Well, haha, I always seem to be the odd man out in these discussions and invariably end up misinterpreted and pounced on or I upset someone.
So I want to be perfectly clear. I agree, I have said it earlier in posts, that yes, if it was my site and people gave me a whole lot of flack, I would think twice about ever holding a contest. But by flack, I mean, people arguing with the rules and getting angry when even though others followed the rules, they don't think that their cakes should be entered. Regarding subject matter of the contests, I think that is up to the owner of the site to decide, unless she asks for feedback. After all, that is her right.
I guess I am not clear on this. I am not arguing with the rules of the contests at all, the rules are the rules. As far as not posting the entries until the end or not, that is something that folks might want to suggest and whether or not Jackie and Heath want to do that, again it is their decision. Personally I think it is a good idea, but that is my opinion.
My take on this is the same as it has always been, about the entrants and or the voters doing the right thing - nothing to do with the contest or the contest organizers. In this case it is a question of the entrants. I agree we share ideas, I don't agree that it is ok to copy someone else's cake or idea and enter it into a contest without clearing it with the originator. Sorry, don't buy it. How many people remember the controversy over last year's Wilton Contest and the doll cake?
Nothing in the contests here says that the cake has to be original, that is true. But I think most people know that you don't copy another person's cake and enter it in a contest without having checked with the original designer. And you give credit where it is due.
Sure you can have 20 cakes with purple roses and that isn't the same thing. You can have several plates of spaghetti cakes taken from an original idea from a Wilton yearbook and that isn't the same thing. You can have 20 different takes on a buttercream transfer of Dora and that isn't the same thing.
So even though putting a spider cake that is almost the same as someone else's is perfectly within the rules of a contest, it doesn't fit in with the generally accepted ethics of copying original works as I understand them. Because they are entered in a contest. However, I wouldn't have any problems with this being done as a cake for sale or for home use. If a picture was posted, I would think that 99% of us would have given credit to the original designer.
But then, that is how I do things and see things.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Lisa Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 6:20pm
post #36 of 72

I don't know about waiting until the last minute to enter cakes into the contest (I'm guilty icon_redface.gif ). It might be better for the entrant (not sure if that's true) but I wouldn't want to be the one swamped with all the entries.

I don't want to speak for them but I don't think that us having this discussion or "complaining" would make Jackie or Heath rethink having the contests. We've always been free to discuss our concerns and I wouldn't want anyone to feel like they couldn't.

mommykicksbutt Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 6:21pm
post #37 of 72

Thank you SquirrellyCakes, we agree!!!! Go ahead and Copy others work! but don't put it in a contest and expect everyone to be OK with it and not get flak, it maybe legit by the contest rules but by human ethics it isn't, it's just wrong to steal and deceive! Recreate the work for your own use... sell it, donate it, serve it, surprise with it, gift it, post it in a regular gallery, eat it! But don't cheat and deceive with it.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 6:32pm
post #38 of 72

I think these contests are meant to be "fun" and not to be taken quite so seriously .. it's like anything in life; if it's not fun and you don't enjoy it, don't do it ... so if you feel it's not fair for some reason, it's your choice to partcipate or not to participate... but let's please not spoil it for others that do enjoy it .. everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and that's what this place is really all about.. about sharing ideas and opinions on products and how to do cake decorating, etc... the contests, to me, are an added bonus that Jackie and Heath have both taken a lot of time and programming to set up and to make sure they're fair to everyone .. they are constantly working hard behind the scenes ... and yes, sometimes things may not seem fair to everyone, but then again, that can be one's "opinion" of how they see it ... it doesn't hurt to share your opinions at all as long as it is done constructively and doesn't take away from the "fun" part of these contests and this website ... again, this is my opinion icon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 7:18pm
post #39 of 72

It's getting to the point where there is way too much arguing going on here! The subjects with the most feedback are the arguments! Can't we all just get along? We're lucky to have a place to come and to share - let's not ruin it! Frankly, i'm getting tired of the bickering and arguing. As for people copying cakes - if the spider cake is the one in question - I saw an amazingly similar cake on a website yesterday when I was looking for halloween cake ideas for my son's class. Now you know why I haven't been entering the contests. If we can't keep it friendly or if we're going to get our feelings hurt then maybe we shouldn't participate! Let's get over it and move on!

My 2cents
Debbie

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 7:34pm
post #40 of 72

I think it shouldn't matter if there are duplications: the best one will win.

However, here is a suggestion. Why not limit the time to actually post the cakes to say, a 2 day period.
Announce the contest one month in advance and really promote it. Allow people time to get their cakes together. Then, at the end of the time period, give everyone 3 days to upload their pics.

I think this could solve the copycat problem, if there even is one.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 7:36pm
post #41 of 72

sorry, didn't mean to repeat......I didn't make it in to the 3rd page to read that this has already been suggested!!

CC4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CC4me Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 10:06pm
post #42 of 72

to me this is on the same page as using patent figures. You like the character, or someone asks you to do a cake with one on it.... when you make the cake do you say thank you to the company that created that character? No, do you give money to the company that created that character, no...
The only difference is if they found out they could get what is coming to them... here its just a cake idea, but people want the same thing, recognization, not money like the big companies would.
Most of my cakes are no where near good as these on here, I wont post anymore of them.

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 11:49pm
post #43 of 72

I think the contest should stay as is, If it's the best it will win. I would love for some one to copy any of my cakes. That would make me feel good too know my cake was good enough for some one else to try. I think it's a good thing.......... he he

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 11:57pm
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue_dye

I think the contest should stay as is, If it's the best it will win. I would love for some one to copy any of my cakes. That would make me feel good too know my cake was good enough for some one else to try. I think it's a good thing.......... he he

thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif Thatsagirl! icon_razz.gif I can totally understand both sides of this! I too would love for someone to copy one of my cakes, but at the same time I would have liked some wink or thumbs up for the person kicking my butt on a cake! icon_lol.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 12:06am
post #45 of 72

all I can say about this is ..everything out there has been done and thought already.

The only original thing is the "maker"..

So..no matter how much you try to "copy" someone's cake...and I say this to ALL the people that bring me pictures of their dream cakes from magazines..

If you want that "EXACT" cake...you must find the one that "CREATED" it and have them make you your cake...as I can only put MY SPIN on the finished product.

As for example..the banana cakes...Who's to say that in MY world...bananas are the same as in your world? We boil green bananas and eat them hot with olive oil...and...when they start to go black and speckled...we fry them.

So...I would probably make a banana cake look like what I'm most familiar with...right?

do you get my drift...

Here ia another example..I had a cake in the purple contest. Now I KNOW that my royal icing panels were unique. They had been made for a cake that the bride cancelled out on me. so I used them for a dummy cake....and I went a step further...I didn't do a basket weave on my cake..Idid a wicker weave...

So should I be angry if anyone copies it? Not unless they put it in some best selling cake decorating book...then I'm gunning for you!.

I mean..we are always asking each other how we do stuff. It doesnt matter how well we explain things..or even draw pictures..we still process the information differently..

FOR example..NET BALL..was born ....by someone not processing the information and directions on how to play BASKETBALL!..lol

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 12:30am
post #46 of 72

Personally I think this argument is sort of silly. When contest pictures are posted no entrant names are posted, and to be honest with you, I have seen lots of similar cakes (like fish, deer heads, etc...) in a LOT of personal galleries. Admittedly, I have liked some a lot more than others, but I don't see the harm in people entering the same cake design. Everyone is so different in their styles of decorating that no two are exactly alike.

Debbi

Lisa Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 12:43am
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePastryDiva

all I can say about this is ..everything out there has been done and thought already.

I agree completely with everything you said except that. Everything hasn't been done and thought already. My halloween cake idea is Mount Rush-Gore and it's a replica of Mount Rushmore with dracula, a werewolf, a witch and a ghost. Now I have never seen a cake like that icon_wink.gif . I'm not really doing that--LOL! Just wanted to say that original ideas exist.

ThePastryDiva Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 1:32am
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Quote:

. I'm not really doing that--LOL! Just wanted to say that original ideas exist.

belive me, I've been around the block more years than I care to say...just because someone hasn't made a sugar piece out of something you "think" you "thought up" ..doesn't means some little elf baker out there hasn't put their little finger under their chin and said...."hummmm, I wonder...if....!"

I remember being so little that I had to step on the rung of the steel tables at my mom's school in Puerto Rico..where SHE was learning how to decorate cakes and was taking a course in baking and pastries..

and peeking over the table and seeing those block cakes for babies...and the ones with the pastillage boxes for rings..

Imagine HOW long ago THAT must've been?--lol

and when I started making cakes in the 70's...I NEVER wanted to learn how to make sugarpaste flowers...I thought THAT was sooooo OLD FASHIONED...and now look? everywhere you look.....GUMPASTE FLOWERS!..

lol

sorry for the long reply...but, believe me...most of everything out there has been done, thought of and executed in one form or another.....or about to be ...lol

Just my been there done that, wrote the book got screwed out of the movie rights and don't even have the darn t-shirt to prove it opinion....rotflmao

Lisa Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 2:38am
post #49 of 72
Quote:

Just my been there done that, wrote the book got screwed out of the movie rights and don't even have the darn t-shirt to prove it opinion....rotflmao

I am so with you there...LOL! I have come up with some crazy ideas...googled it and there it was. One idea, crazy, crazy idea was cake-scented perfume. Yes, all I think about is cake 85% of my day. Anyway, it already exists and not just cake flavored...birthday cake, carrot cake, chocolate cake all in perfumes. Another idea I had and haven't seen yet was edible cupcake liners (weird I know) but I read about some people who liked to chew them...especially as kids and then I read about all the cupcake litter outside of Magnolia's and the idea just popped into my head. They could be made out of some kind of rice paper...edible. Kind of a fad/novelty idea since it would serve little to no purpose. Well I'm way off topic. Just having fun...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 2:51am
post #50 of 72

Lisa...you are so on the money...You should pursue this fantastic idea and patent it....QUICK!!!! Just as a parallel....did you know that trident gum wrappers are edible? Try one.

I think that's a phenomenal idea and you should do something with it. I'll be proud to say I knew her when....

Lisa Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 3:19am
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Lisa...you are so on the money...You should pursue this fantastic idea and patent it....QUICK!!!! Just as a parallel....did you know that trident gum wrappers are edible? Try one.

I think that's a phenomenal idea and you should do something with it. I'll be proud to say I knew her when....

That's not what I was expecting...thanks! I usually get the eye rolling treatment from DH icon_rolleyes.gif I wish I could patent every novel, useless idea that pops into my head (one of them might be worth something) but you have to have some kind of method or procedure to patent. In order to have that, you'd have to do R&D and that's expensive. I looked into it years ago and it all seemed to complicated. But thanks for the nod! Didn't know that about the gum wrappers...cool

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 3:26am
post #52 of 72
Quote:

Quote:

That's not what I was expecting...thanks! I usually get the eye rolling treatment from DH icon_rolleyes.gif I wish I could patent every novel, useless idea that pops into my head (one of them might be worth something) but you have to have some kind of method or procedure to patent. In order to have that, you'd have to do R&D and that's expensive. I looked into it years ago and it all seemed to complicated. But thanks for the nod! Didn't know that about the gum wrappers...cool

Well Lisa, hate to burst your balloon, but there is edible underwear and bikinis on the market, or that have been on the market. So, I guess it could give a whole new meaning to edible bra "cupcakes" couldn't it?
But technically, the liners would melt into the cupcakes while baking, I think.
Hugs Squirrelly

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 3:27am
post #53 of 72

You're welcome...I really think it's doable......the Trident wrappers todbit is just another useless piece of trivia floating around the left side of my brain....have a great night...I can't keep my eyes open anymore!

ThePastryDiva Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 3:37am
post #54 of 72
Quote:

[
edible cupcake liners (weird I know) .

not weird at all...you can make some prototypes as follows..

cut small circles of the rice paper...spray with a little water..insert into cup cake pans with another on top or press it in with one of those "tartlet" makers and then RUN to the bank with a proposal!..lol

so now we all know where the IDEA came from..lol

I wonder how they will hold up during the baking process...now I"m curious..lol

daddycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daddycakes Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 3:48am
post #55 of 72

I agree with mommykicksbutt. Someone used her idea straight up! Thats her cake and not even as well done as hers. She has every right to be ticked off for at least not getting credit or even a "thanks for the idea". That's just bad.

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 3:56am
post #56 of 72
Quote:

Just as a parallel....did you know that trident gum wrappers are edible? Try one.

Okay, so I just happen to have a pack of tridet in my purse......Yeah, the wrapper......not so tasty! I think I'll stick to chewing the gum. Thanks though!

mommykicksbutt Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 4:03am
post #57 of 72

Thanks daddy cakes. Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful for others to use my work as their inspiration, I'm even OK with someone "using my idea straight up!" But not for contests without giving me a thank you for the idea or giving me the courtesy of asking if I am going to enter my cake first.

ThePastryDiva Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 11:27am
post #58 of 72

In the many years that I've been cake decorating...I've seen people do a LOT of different things.

As for the pictures that I've posted, I try to post pictures that are "different" or of things that I"ve done that I haven't seen posted before.

Doesn't mean that I will run out of pictures to post and won't start posting things later on that "LOOK" similar to things already here..lol

Lisa Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 11:43am
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Well Lisa, hate to burst your balloon, but there is edible underwear and bikinis on the market, or that have been on the market. So, I guess it could give a whole new meaning to edible bra "cupcakes" couldn't it?
But technically, the liners would melt into the cupcakes while baking, I think.
Hugs Squirrelly

Too funny! I watched a show a while back with an inventor who made everything that came with a meal edible...the plate, the cup, the napkin. They didn't look too tasty but that brings new meaning to recycling! I think plain old rice paper would probably get stuck to the cupcake but I'll let my R&D dept figure that one out icon_wink.gif

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 12:07pm
post #60 of 72

This may have been mentioned already but in regards to the spider cake, the same cake directions are posted on www.DLTK's website for kids with the pipe-cleaner legs, google eyes, and fangs.
It's possible people see an idea on another website and "go with it" before realizing to check the gallery first.

icon_wink.gif
kos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%