Snapshot Of Where You Live

Lounge By kstevens Updated 25 Oct 2016 , 11:48am by jhines142

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 1:05am
post #1 of 98

Since we are from all over the world I thought it might be fun to share where it us you live along with a snapshot, maybe a landmark or a nice view that represents the area.  I'll start things off.  

For the last 11 years I have lived in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia (Canada) in a small community called Kingsport.  Back in the day it was a thriving ship building community with a hotel and much much more.  Today there are several farms and it is visited by many tourists.  There are several summer homes here as well as rental cottages.  The photo I am sharing is not mine, it's one I grabbed from online.  It shows Kingspory at low tide.  If you wish to read more about it:

http://kingsport.ca/about-kingsport/

[postimage id="4873" thumb="900"]

97 replies
kstevens Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 1:07am
post #2 of 98

Should say Kingsport at low tide. Why can't we edit our posts?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 6:51am
post #3 of 98

This is a pretty shot of my little portion of northern California in the East Bay about 45 minutes east of San Francisco.

content_castrovalley.jpg

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 7:22am
post #4 of 98

The Cook Inlet, mouth of the Kenai River, Alaska

[postimage id="4874" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 10:50am
post #5 of 98
LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 11:05am
post #6 of 98

Great Falls Park, Virginia. This is taken from the VA side of the Potomac, you can spot the Maryland people on the other side (right side of the photo)

These falls were an obstacle for a trade route in the early times, and George Washington had built a canal with water locks around it. Our village's (oddly named Great Falls village, formerly Matildaville, in Mr. Washington's times) claim to fame LOL

[postimage id="4875" thumb="900"]

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 98

I live near mall-land. [postimage id="4876" thumb="900"]

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 98

Here is a shot of our lake. I live in a more industrial type city and the outer areas are all farmland. I'm smack dab in the middle of the Midwest. Flatland farmland corn and beans that's about it besides factories. 

[postimage id="4877" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 98

Oh, found this aerial view of our "megapolis" village center LOL. We are in the DC area, so in proximity to "civilization" and plenty of traffic outside our immediate location, but for the most part, it is parkland and secluded subdivisions around here. This is, like, the IT for us, our grocery store, post office, Irish Pub, couple of dry cleaners and restaurants, fire house, library, and banks.  Everything else outside this rectangle shot, is pretty much just green. 

[postimage id="4878" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 98

hdr-wide_cropfinal.jpg

this is my beautiful city on the bluff and that's the mississippi river and downtown

if you saw an aerial view of my house mostly all you would see is the tops of trees -- we have a coupla terrific gigantic willow oaks

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 98

[postimage id="4880" thumb="900"]  

Kind regards to my fellow bakers from Zagreb, capital city of Croatia. We have river Sava passing by the city, 2 beautiful lakes for swimming and recreation and mountin Sljeme for skiing.  ☺️

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 98

I live in the Southern part of Arizona.  If you've seen movies such as Tombstone, Red River, Tom Horn, Oklahoma or any other great Western movies, then you e seen my hometown lol.  Here's a shot of the mountains right across the street from my house. [postimage id="4881" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 98

I am in the very heart of CA.....the town of Visalia

Here is a 7 minute long very commercial video showing off the diversity of the town/area.     

Once you are on that page there are several other videos that show more of the neighborhoods - none ofthem closer than 2-3 miles from where I am

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 98

I live in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. We are lucky that most of the older houses still have big backyards and in mine is a vegie garden, chickens and a dog.  

It's a lovely town with a lot of the buildings still being from a by gone Era. We have 'Sovereign Hill' which is a tourist park that tells the history of Ballarat.

It was originally a gold mining town.

The photo's are from our main street and also one of Sovereign Hill. 

[postimage id="4884" thumb="900"][postimage id="4885" thumb="900"]

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 7:18am
post #15 of 98

I'm in little old Perth, Western Australia   :)

[postimage id="4900" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 14 Aug 2016 , 1:22am
post #16 of 98

Thank you to all who participated :-)   You've shared some beautiful scenery.

Kelly

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 14 Aug 2016 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 98

[postimage id="4923" thumb="900"]

Pastrybag lady and I must be neighbors!  I too live in the East bay about 30 minutes east of San Francisco.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Aug 2016 , 3:26pm
post #18 of 98

Ah yes, those hills are very familiar! Hey neighbor :D

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 1:32am
post #19 of 98

[postimage id="4930" thumb="900"]

This is an area east of the city of San Diego.  I live in what San Diegan's call the "backcountry".  I call it paradise.

The large building in the center is a public joke.  It was built as a six-story city administration building on the bottom two floor, and a jail on the top 4 floors.  However, the inmates discovered that the walls were made of plaster and knocked a hole right through the side and used bed sheets to climb down just like Rapunzel. 

The hole was visible to everyone for about 8 months before they patched it.  When the investigation was over it was determined that the upper 4 floors could never be used as a jail so the only parts of the building in use are the bottom two floors.  .........idiots.........

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 11:20am
post #20 of 98

apti, that's hysterical -- they couldn't figure out how to remodel and rent it out to other businesses -- all they need to do is re-catch those guys and get their assistance hahahaha

but still a beautiful area -- we visit socal every few years

Apti Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 98

@K8memphis -- Apparently it's kinda hard to remodel a jail.  All those pesky cells...

If you come to San Diego, CALL ME and we'll do a meet up!

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 8:27pm
post #22 of 98

i think it would make a great lawyer's office or bail bondsmen  hahahahaha 

re: the meet up -- will do!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 1:07pm
post #23 of 98

I'm in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Here is Jackson Square in the French Quarter during one of the festivals.  In the center is St Louis Cathedral which is flanked by the Presbytere and Cabildo (now both museums).

[postimage id="4935" thumb="900"]

I actually live outside the city, so this is what you would find in my back yard...

[postimage id="4936" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 2:31pm
post #24 of 98

morecakeplz:  I take it since you are posting you are not impacted by all the flooding we are seeing on the tv in that  area.  Whenever I see such disasters I send up a prayer for all those in the area

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 3:03pm
post #25 of 98

No my area was okay. I’m about 80 miles from the Baton Rouge area which got most of the flooding.  We had about 3 inches of rain and they had 27+ inches.  But I feel their pain.  We had 8 feet of water in our house after Hurricane Katrina.  Humans are so helpless against Mother Nature.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 4:19pm
post #26 of 98

morecakeplz -- i got a lot of extended family in that area -- they are all ok -- just incredible conditions -- carp swimming in the street, caskets floating down stream, didja see this:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/resident-uses-aquadam-to-protect-home-from-floodwaters/238455798

^^^ it's a dam for around your house and it worked ^^^

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 6:08pm
post #27 of 98

Ottawa, Ontario! The capital of Canada relaxed.png This picture is the city, I live about 15mins outside the city. 

Ottawa.jpg

Apti Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 2:10am
post #28 of 98

This is such a fun thread!    Thanks @kstevens for starting it.

I really like the alligator and turtle.  All I have in my sterile tiny yard is gophers and lizards.  However, my family lives about a mile away and they had a mountain lion kill and eat a pygmy goat in a pen near their house about 8 years ago.  In my general area you can always hear coyotes at dusk (very cool!), hawks and golden eagles crying out, mockingbirds, Mexican jays, crows, finches, and we also have quiet, sneaky,  possums, skunks and bobcats. 

kstevens Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 2:54am
post #29 of 98

@Apti ‍ I'm glad you are enjoying it and hope everyone else is as well.  I seem to be the country girl of those who have posted. The tallest building in the area is a residence at the university where I work which is 13 floors.  There are lots of farms around here whether it be crops or livestock.  We have lots of bald eagles around especially in the winter months and I also see red tails hawks on a daily basis. There was a time when I would see coyotes on a regular basis and I have heard them at dusk on a couple of occasions and it's a little eery.  My dogs are always quite interested when they hear them.

There is a place called the look off that looks down over the valley.  Always visited by lots of tourists.  If I can find a good picture from that vantage point I'll post it.

Again, thanks everyone for participating :-) 

Kelly

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 4:01am
post #30 of 98

SweetShop5...I love, love Ottawa..been there many, many times. Daughter use to live in Kanata. 

I live in Burlington, Ontario. An hour outside of Toronto. And 5 hours from Ottawa...nation's capital. This is a picture off chamber of commerce website. This is our lakeshore along Lake Ontario. It's a beautiful city. Rated as the #1 city in Canada to live in..

[postimage id="4945" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%