Best Fondant

Decorating By CrisBerry-Dixon Updated 5 Dec 2014 , 9:56pm by DeniseNH

CrisBerry-Dixon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrisBerry-Dixon Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 14

AOk you guys...what's the best fondant you use? What do you love about it? And where do you buy it?

13 replies
makeherabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeherabaker Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 14

APlace marking to read the responses. I'm just starting out and I want to make my own

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 14

I make my own Marshmallow Fondant

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 14

AI like Satin Ice. Also you can freeze it for storage. Personally, I despise MMF.

LaLaMeMe73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaLaMeMe73 Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 14

I love and adore lmf Liz marek fondant xxx works amazing its cheap and the taste is amazing and it stays soft and it doesnt give elephant skin or tear or give you ugly wrinkles at the bottom xxx

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 14

I used to use Satin Ice all the time and usually had a great experience with it.  I've since switched to Fondx and Fondx Elite.  I can roll it thinner and it doesn't get as damp when I put my cakes in the fridge as my Satin Ice did.   Both Fondx and Satin Ice have a lot of color options.  I think both are good products.  I tried using FondArt and had a terrible time with it.  I've heard some people love it, but I couldn't get it to come together and it felt really greasy.  I've also used Massa Grischuna Neutral and had great luck with it. I could roll it thin and it worked really well for covering cakes, but it's a bit costly. 

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 14

I'm with LaLaMeMe73.  Love LMF for the same reasons plus it rolls out really thin and you don't have to feel rushed putting it on because it doesn't begin to harden quickly.  Plus it's very easy to make and not too messy once you get the hang of it.  I feel I was finally able to master fondant placing after I started using LMF.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 14

Make my own MMF, add a cup of melted wedding white chocolate to it plus cotton candy LorAnn flavoring and it's a dream to work with - and dirt cheap to make.

cake4court Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4court Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 12:34am
post #9 of 14

Denise, could you post your entire recipe please? I have yet to try MMF but this sounds tasty..

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 12:41am
post #10 of 14

See above ?plus what she said. The MMf recipe is on the search engine above you

DeniseNH Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 12:59am
post #11 of 14

2 - 16 oz bags of Kraft mini marshmallows, a splash of water,  Melt in the microwave on high for two minutes.  Remove, stir and if still lumpy put back in the microwave for 30 second bursts.  Dump two 2 lb bags of powdered sugar out onto your super clean kitchen counter - and have a plastic bench scraper ready.  Melt one cup of extra white Merkins chocolate nibs and add to the melted marshmallows.  Then add two caps full of cotton candy LorAnn oil.  Stir well then create a well in the powdered sugar and dump the melted marshmallows into the well.  Some will try to escape but keep scooping it up along the edges and folding it into the center until most of the powdered sugar is incorporated.  You will have some left.  When you're able, stop using the plastic bench scraper and start using your hands to knead it for about 5 minutes.  It's ready to use now.  Then I do the darndest thing to see if it's ready.  I pick the lump up in its middle and hold it up with both hands - like I'm strangling it but I don't hold onto it that tightly.  If it moves downward fast or medium I knead in more powdered sugar, if, during the strangle hold it hardly gravitates downward then it's ready.  It's best to let it set over night with saran over it but you really can use it right away.  The first roll out will have some bubbles in it that you prick then scrunch it up and knead another minutes then the second rolling goes beautifully.  Take leftover powdered sugar up with the plastic bench scraper - sift it - and save it for your next project.  I can make a batch in 10 minutes, including melting time in the microwave.

cake4court Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4court Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 2:44am
post #12 of 14

Thanks so much!

JesterBean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JesterBean Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 14

@ DeniseNH How much would you say that makes? 2 pounds?

Thank you for the recipe. I will be trying it this weekend. 

DeniseNH Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 14

I have no idea.  There's 2lbs of powdered sugar then the 16 oz pkg of marshmallows then all the other stuff so I would say almost 3 lbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%