How Do You Measure To Make Sure That You Have Enough Batter

Decorating By Bearkitty Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 2:32am by JustToEatCake

Bearkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bearkitty Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #1 of 29

Ok... a few other posts have got me thinking about why my wasc cakes take almost an hour to cook at 325 in two regular nine in cake pans (2 inch I believe). I was assuming that just because I added the extra items to the cake box mix that that must be the reason why. Now I am thinking that I am putting way to much batter in. It also falls majorly in the middle to half it's size lol.
How do you all measure your cake batter... do you use liquid measuring cups, the dry measuring cups, or just eyeball it and hope it does not over flow? icon_confused.gif

28 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:39am
post #2 of 29

There is no need to measure batter ~ you fill the pans 2/3rds full, and don't open the oven door until you are nearing the end of the baking time.

WASC baked in 2" high pans should be baked on 350 for about 30 minutes, though. When you use 3" deep pans, you should drop the oven temp down to 325 and it takes about an hour.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Bearkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bearkitty Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 29

Thank you icon_smile.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 29

I bake WASC in 2" pans filled only half full. I bake at 325 until the internal temperature reaches 209. I use Bake Even strips, and for larger pans a flower nail in addition to the strips.

I do this for all pan sizes. Perfect results every time. Light-colored tender crust, only the slightest bit to be leveled off, perfectly cooked in the center, moist and delicious.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 29

grandmom, everytime I read your posts and see Alton Brown I have to remind myself that it's JUST AN AVATAR you're not HIM lol

grandmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 29

But, KHalstead, I so wanna be him!! ... Or like him!

Doesn't he have sort of a Mona Lisa smile in this photo??

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:01am
post #7 of 29

I also do it like grandmom does, at 325 and it works fine.

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 29

I'm so glad I ran across this post. I started a cake decorating class and will be baking next week. I plan on using the WASC recipe (using one box of cake mix). Will this be enough to fill two 8inch (3in deep) pans? Is is necessary to use the nail in an 8 in cake? I have bake even strips to use. I have learned SO much from this site. Thanks to everyone that take the time to post.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 29

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but how do you guys keep the strips from falling down? I use the pins provided but no matter how tight I get them they seem to slip. I'm wondering if safety pins would work better.

Thanks
Aquamom

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 29

........plan on using the WASC recipe (using one box of cake mix). Will this be enough to fill two 8inch (3in deep) pans? Is is necessary to use the nail in an 8 in cake? I have bake even strips to use..........

It sounds like you are going to use my *original* recipe. It will be enough batter for two 2" deep 8" round pans. Just divide the batter equally between the two.

It is NOT necessary to use a nail. Bake even strips are fineicon_smile.gif
Be sure to read the instructions completely before you start.
I prefer to bake at 300 or 325 (no higher!) until I smell it icon_smile.gif Then I use the touch test - lightly touch in the middle of the cake - if it springs back it is done.
The amount of time varies according to the size of the pan used and how many pans in the oven at one time. Yes, it can take up to an hour for some cakes to bake enough.

grandmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 29

Use those black binder clips to hold your bake even strips. They're availabe in office supplies. I use a medium size. Learned that here on CC!

grandmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 29

I don't think I'm using the *original* WASC - not sure, got the recipe here on CC. But one cake mix does great with two 8-inch pans. I do not use a nail with 8-inch pans, unless it's the chocolate WASC.

I like precision, so I test internal temperature with an instant read thermometer. I bake until internal temperature = 209. Perfect every time.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 29

OMG.. Black binder clips!!! Now why didn't I think of that?? It never fails I always stick myself with the pins and no matter how tight I think I have the strips they still wiggle loose.. Oh me oh my... what a time saver this will be for me.. Thanks grandmom for posting that tidbit.. I love it when someone reads a helpful hint and then repost it for others to see and it just keeps going on and on and on..

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #14 of 29

The binder clips don't melt?

Oh, and on a side note, grandmom, I LOVE your avatar. I love looking at AB. I think he's sexy. icon_wink.gif

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 29

Thanks everyone!!!

grandmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #16 of 29

pterrell,

No, the binder clips are that black metal. They hold up fine!

And, yes, AB is a sexy devil, the Total Package!!! If I were a younger woman...

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:51am
post #17 of 29

I agree, using a thermometer is the way to go. I was always over or underbaking my cakes. Now I bake them until the center temperature is around 200 and they come out perfect every time.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:49am
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

pterrell,

If you were a younger woman, you would go after a married man with a young child? thumbsdown.gif Just sayin'...

~~~~~

You can also use a large paperclip in place of a binder clip.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #19 of 29

i also use bobby pins and they work terrific...they are so thin that they don't cause the strips to come away from the pan at all! i love the binder idea as well! and i like the alton brown avatar as well and have to remind myself he's not really posting. wouldn't it be great if he was on here tho?!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #20 of 29

The strips also slide also tend to fall down if the sides of your pan are sloped.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:46am
post #21 of 29

Any specific type of thermometer you use or suggestions on where to find it. Every so often my middles aren't cooked quite enough.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:24am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjford

I plan on using the WASC recipe (using one box of cake mix). Will this be enough to fill two 8inch (3in deep) pans? Is is necessary to use the nail in an 8 in cake?

If you only use one cake mix for your WASC cake, the batter amount will be about 7 cups.

Each 8 cake pan (3" deep) requires 5 cups of batter, so you won't have enough.

As has been said the 2" deep 8" rounds only require 3-1/2 cups of batter per pan - so you'd be fine.

HTH

grandmom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:18am
post #23 of 29

sillywabbitz,

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated because I love their equipment reviews and their recipes.

Highly recommended (I have this one):

Thermoworks Superfast Thermopen 211-476, $89
I bought at King Arthur Flour, available at Amazon and other sites

Recommended (and all under $20):

Maverick Redi-Chek Professional Chef's Digital Thermometer DT-01

Polder Instant-Read Thermometer 371

Fieldpiece SPK1 Thermometer

Comark PDT300 Thermometer

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:08am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:

pterrell,

If you were a younger woman, you would go after a married man with a young child? thumbsdown.gif Just sayin'...

~~~~~

icon_confused.gif GEEEEZ

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:

pterrell,

~~~~~

icon_confused.gif GEEEEZ

tapedshut.gif GEEEEZ II

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #26 of 29

a clothes pin might work too.
wait, is anyone here old enough to know what a clothes pin is?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:17am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoglady

a clothes pin might work too.
wait, is anyone here old enough to know what a clothes pin is?

WHen you bowl on Wii and almost hit the pin? icon_rolleyes.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjford

I plan on using the WASC recipe (using one box of cake mix). Will this be enough to fill two 8inch (3in deep) pans? Is is necessary to use the nail in an 8 in cake?

If you only use one cake mix for your WASC cake, the batter amount will be about 7 cups.

Each 8 cake pan (3" deep) requires 5 cups of batter, so you won't have enough.

As has been said the 2" deep 8" rounds only require 3-1/2 cups of batter per pan - so you'd be fine.

HTH

BTW, I think JanH is a fine substitute for AB. I wonder if she talks as fast AB in real life?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #29 of 29

Just FYI, I just finished baking the Amazing choclate WASC (2-9inch/2" high layers). I got 9 cups of batter from this HALVED recipe. It baked up to just at pan level. Exactly 2"...that's just fyi, hope don't mind sorta hijacking the thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%