Trashy??????

Decorating By donkeemom Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm by JanH

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 36

I made this belly cake for my niece. I put the photo of it on Cake Central and got some very nice comments from people on the site (people here are always so encouraging). I also noticed a little baby shower cake contest on the internet and thought I would put my cake on that site. Well, somebody commented that my cake looks "trashy".

We had decided to leave the tummy showing because the expectant mother had such a cute tummy that everyone was always asking to see it. And the baby was named Levi, so we thought having jeans on mama would also be cute. My intent was to make the expectant mom feel good, not trashy.

What do you think? I have included a picture so you can see what I am talking about.
LL

35 replies
KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 36

not trashy, not something that I would make, not something that I even like a little bit, but I don't think it is trashy. You did a very good job on it, the jeans, are great, little shoes adorable, the whole cake is well done. It is just something that I don't really like, but just because I don't like something, does not mean it is trashy, or not well done. What a dull world if we all liked the same everything. I bet it was the talk of the party.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 36

I think it is awesome! Not trashy. Pay attention to all the compliments, not one remark like that. It was probably a competitor.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 36

I think the cake is very well done. It doesn't matter what people on the internet think, you don't know them (exclude that comment for me, what I think does matter icon_lol.gif ). All that matters is what the mommy thought. Put your head back up and stand tall and proud. After all, you are an artist, opinions will vary. icon_wink.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 36

It's not trashy at all, you did a beautiful job and like the pp I wouldn't make it cause I don't like these cakes but that's my opinion.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 36

I think it's adorable! The tummy is so cute! I wish my belly had been that round with my last little one! icon_biggrin.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 36

Super job and so realistic. I am guessing that the one who called it trashy is just extremely old fashion and doesn't understand today's mommies being proud of their bellies. Keep up the artistic side of you.

donkeemom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 36

Thank you for the kind comments, it is silly to let one comment make you feel so bad. You are right to concentrate on the positive not the negative.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 36

i think its cute...i know why the person said it was trashy though...the top looks like lingerie to me...maybe cause its white...and the breasts look big compared to the belly. but its not bad looking either....where is the belly button. icon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 36

you show me an expectant mother who's breasts are not as big (or bigger lol) than her belly, and then they can call the cake trashy. i think its adorable! wish i would have had a cute cake like that for my baby showers! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 36

I'm a straight shooter. I'll tell you exactly what I think.........
I am not particularly fond of 'belly cakes'. Yours is done very nicely.....certainly not trashy.
P.S. you forgot her belly buttonicon_smile.gif

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 36

Hi,
This is actually one of my favourite belly cakes! I think you need to forget about the 'trashy' comment - it really does not matter as long as the mommy-to-be loved it (which I'm sure she did - it sounds like you personalised it perfectly for her), and as long as you are proud of your work (which you definately should be - it is so original and very well done).
Keep making beautiful cakes! thumbs_up.gif
Valerie.

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 36

This cake is ADORABLE! I guess trashy is in the eye of the beholder but I don't see anything trashy about it. The mommies of today are proud to show off their bellies and they should be!

donkeemom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 36

Thanks all.....you've made me feel better, you are all very kind thumbs_up.gif . Funny thing about the belly button, mom's had completely vanished. I tried to put a very faint one on there, but it did'nt show in the photo....lol.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 36

i agree i think the shirt would have looked better in a color instead of white but thats not a big deal i think your jeans are amazing and i do think its a cute tummy! i never really looked at belly cakes before so i dont have much opinin as to i like or dislike them but i think this is well done cute and you need not worry about people on the internet who probably made sheet cakes that only said showers of happiness for the contest!! keep up the good work

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 36

I really like your cake, not at all trashy in my opinion.
Unfortunately i've not found anyone that likes these that I can make one for icon_cry.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #17 of 36

I think they may have been thinking too literal.

Like me, I think past a certain age showing your gut is not cute...pregnant or not. When I think of jeans and showing midriffs I think of teens.

Maybe they are like me and thought this would be for a teen pregnancy.

Maybe they are uptight and don't like seeing that much skin.

But, they forgot this is just a cake and not an actual person, lol.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Quote:

where is the belly button.

LOL mine dissapeared when I was pregnant!!! haha. I think its pretty accurate. The boobs in proportion to the belly could be very accurate. I know I went up 3 sizes!!! icon_razz.gif

I think its cute. It is very well done, however had I done it I dont think I would have made the shirt so low cut. She's a pretty sexy prego! lol

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:36am
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I
Like me, I think past a certain age showing your gut is not cute...pregnant or not. When I think of jeans and showing midriffs I think of teens.

That's what I thought. Sorry, but my first thought was that it looks like the 17 year old head cheerleader got knocked up after a football game. The low cut shirt, big boobs and belly hanging out is a bit provocative.

Your work is nice, and it's well done, but yes it's a little the My Name Is Earl Joy character.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:10am
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I

That's what I thought. Sorry, but my first thought was that it looks like the 17 year old head cheerleader got knocked up after a football game. The low cut shirt, big boobs and belly hanging out is a bit provocative.

Your work is nice, and it's well done, but yes it's a little the My Name Is Earl Joy character.

The work is exquisite and very well done. I agree with these statements but I also know it's because I'm 50 years old and "in my day.....! icon_rolleyes.gif you just didn't walk around showing your pregnant stomach (sorry....HATE the word "belly"!). The jeans also make it look very teenagey, as someone said earlier, which may have led them to the "pregnant teen = trashy sl*t" type of thinking.

If it were me, I'd ignore the comment. The work is awesome (even tho' it's not my style of cake, ya just HAVE to admire the work quality!). I know the difference between "trashy" and "not my cup of tea". It's very, VERY good work.

The guest of honor liked it and that's all that should matter to you. thumbs_up.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #21 of 36

I normally wouldn't make a comment, but since you asked, I don't think your cake is particularly trashy. I think it is very well done, first off.. but I do think it's a little bit...immodest. I like to think of pregnant mothers not wearing very low cut, lacy white tops with very large breasts.

I guess if I was to request one of these cakes, I would ask for a belly cake either without the top of the torso, the entire body in a dress or something, or use something not white and lacy which looks a little like a bra.

I know this wasn't your objective since you explained your style choices, the name, the jeans, etc... but that is my opinion. I personally do not like belly cakes because I don't really like the thought of cutting into something lifelike. The life-size barbie cake? Didn't like that either, so it's not just pregnant bellies, I just prefer people keep it more clip-art, cartoony or carciture when it comes to bodies.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #22 of 36

i think your cake is gorgeous.. i,d make one just like it if i could.if i were to have a request.. i,d use yours as a model.. i didn,t even think "teen" when i looked at it.. hello? pregnant women in the 30's,etc. walk aroung looking like that.. jeans ain,t just for teens and big boobs, look all around and see the purchased boobs .. look on the beaches and see these pregnant women in bikinis.. fixing to deliver.. i wouldn,t dress like that.. but hey, its all around us.. again, i love your cake.. not trashy at all.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #23 of 36

I appreciate it for the obvious skill and talent required to create a cake of such detail. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #24 of 36

I think your cake is very "sexy". If only I could look like that if I get pregnant! Love the details.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:34am
post #25 of 36

It looks fantastic! I love the details and the jeans look sooo real! You did a great job on this one.

The only thing that is missing is the belly button.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Quote:
Quote:

where is the belly button.

LOL mine dissapeared when I was pregnant!!! haha. I think its pretty accurate. The boobs in proportion to the belly could be very accurate. I know I went up 3 sizes!!! icon_razz.gif

Just the opposite for me...once I hit 4 to 5 months, I go from an "innie" to an "outtie". It kinda starts looking like the end of a hot dog, juicy too, I could squish it...sorry TMI.

I loved showing my beautiful pregnant belly (stomach 4 indydebi) during the summer...especially at the pool.

I think your cake looks great, not trashy at all.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #27 of 36

Likely the "trashy" comment came from someone who just doesn't like belly cakes. I have to admit, that like a few others who have posted, I really don't like them. The whole "cutting up Momma's belly" thing is a big visual turn off for me. I feel the same way about the realistic baby cakes. There are just some visual images I don't need in my head. But that doesn't mean you didn't do a great job and I don't think you should let the comment bother you at all. Be proud! If you were happy and the Mom-to-be was happy, that's all that matters.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:46am
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Quote:

It kinda starts looking like the end of a hot dog, juicy too, I could squish it...sorry TMI.

LMAO OMG talk about visuals. LOL. Im glad I never got an outtie. lol. As is was my hubby thought it was so funny to constantly poke my "non-belly button". lol sorry I cant stop laughing at your comment. Its nearly 3am and I am just now getting ready for work. That woke me up. lol

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:59am
post #29 of 36

It's not my style. Your cake is very well done, very clean, although the design to me is somewhat let's say tacky but not trashy. I never understood why a big pregnant belly has to be presented this way. But it's your cake and your style. The top looks more like a bra. But as what someone suggested ignore the comments that are not raving about your creation . But I take it that you are also wanting to know what others think about it, whether it is " liking" or "disliking" the cake. You sound like a brave person otherwise you would not have posted this question, "trashy?" This is not a perfect world. Life has to be positive and negative like a battery, otherwise it would not work. Keep doing what you like if it makes you happy. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:01am
post #30 of 36

It's not my style (I'm not crazy about belly cakes) but your execution is beautiful.

Remember that there is always going to be someone who is going to find fault, no matter what someone else does. It could be the design of your cake, or the outfit someone is wearing.

The best things you can do are

ignore them - they're either jealous, have no life, or like to hear themselves

and

pray for them, that they are relieved of whatever makes them so miserable (I'm not super-religious, but hey, how can it hurt, right?).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%