Critique Sub Members Group***new Thread As Of March 30, 2009

Lounge By kjt Updated 30 Apr 2013 , 10:18am by Boyka

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:44am
post #391 of 447

Hi Jenny - commented on the ones you listed above and had a look through the gallery - wow you definitely have been improving with each cake. Its good you have learnt and applied what you have learnt. For me I can see your fondant work has become neater/cleaner and your figures are outstanding icon_biggrin.gif . There is not so much lumpyness in the cake and I am assuming then that you have learnt to let the cake settle before crumbcoating and covering so thats good. thumbs_up.gif I like how you have been using the board as part of the design. You are a bit like me - self taught and obviously have a knack for learning quick what you need to do to. So you got the fondant work down - try to extend yourself a little more eg piping work, moulded flowers etc. I can't do buttercream and especially piped flowers to save my life but not much call for that where I am but I should learn it to give a little bit more to offer to clients and an edge over my competitiors icon_lol.gif must get on to it.... icon_rolleyes.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:17pm
post #392 of 447

Critique flipflops. icon_smile.gif These will be put on 6/8/10 stacked cake. 8" cake will be horizontal stripes (diff colors), the # will be placed on top of cake.

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2018104 (Deleted by accident original file, this is a replacement, sigh, multiple pix came across...sorry!)

Thanks, was trying to figure out how to insert the pix here but it won't work, either that or I'm not doing it correctly. icon_smile.gif

(edited to add: 1st time doing 3 stacked w/SPS, 1st time w/this much GP on a cake, wanted all shoes to be different. Recipient is TWO girls, who will split up their 4 pairs icon_lol.gif )

Jennyc28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennyc28 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:42pm
post #393 of 447

Hi Strathmore, thank you so much for all your wonderful feedback. I'm glad you can see some improvement - gives me hope! lol I've been telling myself I need to try some moulded flowers for a quite a while now so I shall have to overcome my trepidation about making them and get stuck in!! I've done very little pipework too, other than the odd batch of cupcakes, so that's something else I need to concentrate on practising. Do you have any tips? Also, thank you so much for your lovely comments about my figurework, but would you have any tips on how to get them to stand properly? It's the one thing I don't seem to be able to do when making them. I've tried using skewers inside but they all seem to fall over...or apart!!

strathmore Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:09pm
post #394 of 447

Sorry its been so long since I replied. I use long skewers that I have damped with hot water - not wet or you get sliding - and put an inch or so into a cake dummy and leave enough room for the legs to slide down. I cut the excess off the top but leave an inch or so for me to put the torso on - and I just keep building from there. I don't take them out till dry so make sure the skewers in the dummy are not too tightly in. Use something to make a bigger hole so you can remove them easily. I still get a bit of slippage but for trouser legs I texture them and sometimes make them flared at the bottom. The hard part is feet. I make sure there is room between them and the base so that they don't get squished. Sometimes i will put the legs in a bed made of an old stocking and cornflour - this way you can shape them so there is no flat spots. My figures are just quite detailed so you don't see the other not perfect bits. Maybe I should do a photo tutorial to show how I do it as I have been asked this before but I think only the pros do that. Hope this has helped.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:26pm
post #395 of 447

Thank you Strathmore for the instructions!
I would love to see a picture tutorial, and you are just as talented as any pro!!!

Jennyc28 Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:04am
post #396 of 447

Thank you Strathmore, that's really nice of you to post such a detailed reply for me. I'll have a go at doing them that way but if you think you could do a photo tutorial at some point, that really would be brilliant. It's so much easier to put these things into practice sometimes when you've seen it done!

Jennyc28 Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:09am
post #397 of 447

Oh and this is my latest cake by the way! http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2024865

It was my first attempt at a handbag cake which I made as a gift for my sister. The stitching was a bit wobbly in places but in my defence, I was doing it with a cocktail stick (really need to get a stitching wheel!) and it was about 2am on a work night... I'm just surprised I didn't pass out face down in it! ;D

strathmore Posted 8 May 2011 , 12:58am
post #398 of 447

Thanks I am flattered you would like a tutuorial - but I am no expert its just my way - and that changes each time I do it !!! I might do a bride and groom - lucky my hubby and I were ahead of the times and he wore his military outfit, so if they don't work out they can be a Wills and Kate icon_lol.gif

Jennyc28 Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:37am
post #399 of 447

That would be brilliant Strathmore, thanks!

GI Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #400 of 447

Lots of firsts w/this one: 1st 3 tiered stacked, 1st time using SPS, 1st time doing more on GP, 1st time covering board w/fondant (man, what a wuss I was, I had to talk myself into covering it! icon_rolleyes.gif ). First time driving a 3 tiered stacked cake! icon_lol.gif

So lessons learned: will do board first, *then* SPS/STACK *then* DECORATE!

I decorated (w/o the flipflops) THEN moved the cake onto the tiers. Yikes. And they were soooo heavy, too! Yep I can see my wobbles & such. LIke where I "thought" I needed more icing on top so decided to add more? What was I thinking! All that needless moving around! NOT a good idea! icon_cool.gif

Good news: everyone fought over what flavor was the best and not ONE piece was leftover!!! icon_biggrin.gif

TFL: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2028536

strathmore Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #401 of 447

GI I commented on your cake but did not have enough room for this - what I would do is use a larger cake board and cover the cake board way ahead of time to allow it to dry. I don't wrap the fondant round the board just use a ribbon as it saves trying to get it really flat underneath - you can see where its a bit thick under the board on your picture. Remember i am looking at it through 'cake glasses' icon_wink.gif Put some feet on it so you can get your fingers under. Ice your tiers on boards as you have done then transfer/stack and pipe your border as you would do anyway. Or do the same but cover the board after the tiers on and then pipe the bottom border but I always get fingerprints in the fondant that way when I move the cake on the soft fondant board covering. When you transport it place the whole cake with a not slip mat under it on top of a large board - I find it easier to carry then you are not actually touching the cake board itself. Place it down and remove from the moving board. I have saved as a fave coz I want to copy it please !!!

GI Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:29pm
post #402 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

GI I commented on your cake but did not have enough room for this - what I would do is use a larger cake board and cover the cake board way ahead of time to allow it to dry. I don't wrap the fondant round the board just use a ribbon as it saves trying to get it really flat underneath - you can see where its a bit thick under the board on your picture. Remember i am looking at it through 'cake glasses' icon_wink.gif Put some feet on it so you can get your fingers under. Ice your tiers on boards as you have done then transfer/stack and pipe your border as you would do anyway. Or do the same but cover the board after the tiers on and then pipe the bottom border but I always get fingerprints in the fondant that way when I move the cake on the soft fondant board covering. When you transport it place the whole cake with a not slip mat under it on top of a large board - I find it easier to carry then you are not actually touching the cake board itself. Place it down and remove from the moving board. I have saved as a fave coz I want to copy it please !!!

Strath: Very cool thank you thank you for peering thru the "Cake" goggles! So "Feet" how do I do that under the fondant-covered board? I get the transfer on a larger board. (I have those, duh! icon_rolleyes.gif ). Had a hard time getting the tiers to go on the SPS "hole".

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 9 May 2011 , 6:31pm
post #403 of 447

I cant believe I have surfed this site forever, and i have never seen this topic! Can I join, even if I'm just an hobby baker looking to improve?

GI Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:25pm
post #404 of 447

Hi cakification! icon_biggrin.gif Sure, you can join! Anyone can! Welcome! This is a thread we use to perfect our caking skills! All abilities & skills are welcome (duh, look at MINE for instance! icon_lol.gif )

Page 1 has rules posted, but I'll post them here again since we have so many pages. The main thing to remember is keep the thread free of chit-chat. We usually post all our "critiques" right on the cake photo itself. List yourself as CSM: on the cake posts. That way, others looking at our cake criticisms won't think we are a bunch of meanies on cake central!

Rules:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi and Welcome.

At this point, you should choose three cakes that'd you'd like us to critique and post the titles and/or links here. Then, as you post pics. of new cakes, make a post here letting us know you've posted so we can go and give you feedback.

You can just jump right in with critiquing other members' cakes as well.
When you post descriptions under your new pictures or comments on other members' cakes, please post that you are a "Critique Subgroup Member." This sort of explains why the comments are more in depth and specific and we think it helps other non-members see that we're asking for these comments and no one is just being rude or overly critical.
I hope I have explained this well enough. Ask more questions if you have them and please just jump right in!
Here are the rules/guidelines.

Standards we look at:
1.) Creativity (original design or clever adaptation of another idea) is interesting and pleasing. What might work better.

2.) Clean not cluttered or overdone, neat and skillful.

3.) Suitable degree of difficulty for skill level. Are you pushing yourself.

4.) Proper use of tips i.e. control, pressure and technique.

5.) Color choice and use, mixed well without streaking, compliments the design.

6.) Smooth coat without crumbs.

7.) Attention to details.

8.) Attention to cake board.

9.) Overall appearance.

Finally
*Remember to keep the board clear of casual chitchat.
*Keep the critique to the original ideas listed above and if you can not get to a cake don't panic, there are several of us now so don't feel stressed because we still get a good critique.
*Next, do not feel that you are not qualified to give a critique even if you have never tried the technique because when you comment not only the other person sees it from a different point of view but you do also.
*And finally, last but not least, we have a good group going with fantastic critiques, let us remember that other CCers will see our comments and maybe it will help them improve also!

GI Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:27pm
post #405 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakification

I cant believe I have surfed this site forever, and i have never seen this topic! Can I join, even if I'm just an hobby baker looking to improve?

Don't forget to post the link to the cake(s) you wish to have critiqued. icon_biggrin.gif Also, you can go back a page or 2 to do critiquing if you wish....you don't have to start with page 1 icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

cakification Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:38pm
post #406 of 447

Thanks so much GI! I have 5 cakes due within the next month, so this will be really helpful for me!

Here are a few I would appreciate critique on, although I'd appreciate feedback on any of my pics! Please be as honest as possible, but keep in mind I'm just new! Lol

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1989799 http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1998172 http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1980668

strathmore Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #407 of 447

OOps so am I in trouble for posting the extra bits instead of just on the cake pics - just trying to help and I never seem to be able to say things in an economical way - just the long way. Anyway for feet just use some cut up bits of wood, or a whole smaller cake drum, or anything lego block size so you can get your fingers under. I have a whole lot of bits of wood that I cut with a skillsaw from a spare bit of MDF and superglue them on.

GI Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:08pm
post #408 of 447
Quote:

OOps so am I in trouble for posting the extra bits instead of just on the cake pics - just trying to help and I never seem to be able to say things in an economical way - just the long way. Anyway for feet just use some cut up bits of wood, or a whole smaller cake drum, or anything lego block size so you can get your fingers under. I have a whole lot of bits of wood that I cut with a skillsaw from a spare bit of MDF and superglue them on.

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif No, when a cake calls for heavy critiquing, then the forum would be better place to put it! icon_biggrin.gif

thanks for giving me a visual on the "feet". perhaps I should just swipe some leggo's & glue those on. icon_wink.gif Got it! Thanks for all the guidance, too! Now that I've done a Triple tier, I'm ready to do it all over again!!!

cakification Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:04pm
post #409 of 447

So... Everything went wrong with these cakes.. I tried a new BC recipe, it was WAY too "smooshy" it pretty much just dripped out of the piping bag.. My fondant was WAY to soft, agh! I get a headache just thinking about these cakes.
Anyways, I can see what's wrong with them, ( I think) but Id like to hear all of your feedback please!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2030408

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:36pm
post #410 of 447

Ok, here you all are. First one. Be gentle. icon_smile.gif

It's fondant over ganache.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2003663/2022125

Jennyc28 Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:12am
post #411 of 447

Latest cake! A "Waybuloo" 1st birthday cake for a little girl. Everything is handmade and edible. It's my own take on an original design by Pocket Venus Cakes which I did with her permission. Elements of the cake were then transferred to a 6inch board as a keepsake topper!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2036549

GI Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:38pm
post #412 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif No, when a cake calls for heavy critiquing, then the forum would be better place to put it! icon_biggrin.gif

thanks for giving me a visual on the "feet". perhaps I should just swipe some leggo's & glue those on. icon_wink.gif Got it! Thanks for all the guidance, too! Now that I've done a Triple tier, I'm ready to do it all over again!!!

Had a hand-to-the-forehead moment on this: DUH! The cake plates that are used in SPS have those little circles underneath....THOSE are the feet! DUH!!! icon_confused.gif Thanks for clarification! I will remember that for next big cake! icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:58pm
post #413 of 447

Here's my latest. My concerns are in the description. Any comments appreciated!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2036353

strathmore Posted 20 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #414 of 447

No new cakes for me at the moment but I thought I would share this great online tutorial I found - its for clay porcelain but many of the techniques apply to fondant. The site also has some other figuresto make, great ideas and includes some tutorials by some well known fondant artists since its a similar medium to work with sculpting wise.. I found this by searching for the format to make my own tutorial on stand up figures - this is better than I could do.
and hope this is of interest. icon_biggrin.gif
http://coldporcelaintutorials.blogspot.com/2011/02/make-this-little-rascal_01.html#more

cakification Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:43pm
post #415 of 447

Okay guys, have at it - http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2047950

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:55am
post #417 of 447

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2057020

strathmore Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:29am
post #418 of 447

My 2 latest.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2078132
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2072845

I have been trying to catch up with all your latest but life has gotten in the way recently !! I just have time to lurk now and again but things are settling down now so might have some time !!!

strathmore Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:16am
post #419 of 447

some of your pics won't load for me so will try tomorrow. Did anyone look at the link I posted for the standing up figures ?? I tried to do a tutorial but I can't model and take photos at the same time !!!

Jennyc28 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:21am
post #420 of 447

Sorry Strathmore, whose pics won't load? Oh and no, I didn't see the link! Would love to have a look so where can I find it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%