Canada: Wanting to start a Cake Decorating Business, but where do I begin?

This article outlines the first basic steps to take when wondering how to start a cake decorating business in Canada. This article should only be used as informative, and a good place to start. This is not legal advise, or play-by-play of creating a business in Canada

Wanting to start a Cake Decorating Business in Canada, but where do I begin?

The most commonly asked question, (and usually the first question asked) is, "Is my business name idea already taken?"

NUANS® – Newly Upgraded Automated Name Search

In order for you to register or incorporate your business, a corporate name search report is required by the Federal and the provincial governments. These reports are used to determine the availability of a corporate/business name by searching the relevant databases or registries listing any similar or possibly confusing existing corporation names, business names and trademarks. In other words, you need to make sure that no one else has already registered the corporate or business name, or trademark you would like to use for your business.

In Canada, there are 2 different kinds of reports: a NUANS biased report; and a provincial name report. The NUANS (Newly Updated Automated Name Search) database provides name search reports for the following jurisdictions: Canada (Federal); Ontario; Alberta; New Brunswick; Nova Scotia; and Prince Edward Island.
For all the other provinces (B.C., Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland & Labrador), they each require a name search report from their respective provincial database and registry and NOT from the NUANS database.

If your area is not currently listed, or the links are incorrect, please let us know.

Just click on your province’s name below to be taken directly to the corporate registry.


British Columbia


New Brunswick

Newfoundland & Labrador

Nova Scotia



Prince Edward Island




Comments (6)


The Ontario Regulation 562 Food Premises - this is the governing law.. I am in contact with a public health rep to find out the seperate kitchen regulations.. I am very discouraged, I think it will be too expensive for the little profit there is to make, it would take 20 years to pay back a full commercial kitchen in cakes. Best to keep it as a labour of love i think.