Gluten Free Black Forest Cake
- 2 1/8 cups gluten free flour mixture
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthum gum
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten free vanilla
2 cans potted cherries (cherry pie filling)
3 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- Mix first 11 ingregients together. Beat until well blended. Pour batter into a greased and floured pan (gluten Free flour),
- Let sit on counter top in pan for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven at temp of 325 degrees F. Cook until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes, loosen edges then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Combine whipping cream and icing sugar in a chilled medium bowl. Beat with electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- With long serrated knife, split each cake layer horizontally in half. Tear one split layer into crumbs, set aside. Reserve 1 1/2 cups frosting for decorating cake; set aside. Gently brush loose crumbs off top and side of each layer with pastry brush or hand. To assemble, place one cake layer on cake plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping. Top with second layer; repeat layers of frosting and cherry topping. Top with third layer. Frost side of cake. Pat reserved crumbs onto frosting on the side of cake. Spoon reserved frosting into pastry bag fitted with star decorator tip. Pipe around top and bottom edges of cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping onto top of cake.
I have a close friend who just found out she has a gluten intolerance and I can't wait to try this out for her birthday!!!