This is the recipe for Chocolate Covered Cherries that I got from my MawMaw. These are absolutely divine if you can tolerate the 2 week waiting period for them to “cure” in the fridge!! ** My Grandma says that if the white part for the inside is too runny to work with, add more powdered sugar. The hardest part for me was that the heat of my hands would start to melt the sugar mixture, so I had to stick it in the fridge to cool back off. Once I got the hang of it and was able to do it quickly though, everything went smoothly from there!!
My MawMaw lives in Georgia, so I just filed the recipe under Southern U.S., since I didn’t see a category for just Candy. When I asked her if they were easy to make, her response was, “Oh yeah honey, they are REAL easy!” …Well, I’ve come to learn that anytime my MawMaw says that anything is REAL easy, she means that it is real easy for someone who has been cooking for over 50 years!
Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 60 maraschino cherries w/stems
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, softened, no substitutes
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp shortening
- Pat dry cherries with paper towels; set aside. In small mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, & salt. Mix well. Knead until smooth. Cover & refrigerate for 1 hr. Then roll into ½ in balls; flatten each into a 2-in circle. Wrap each circle around a cherry & lightly roll in hands.
- Place cherries w/stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover loosely & refrigerate for 1 hr.
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips & shortening; stir until smooth. Take covered cherries out of refrigerator. Holding onto the stem, dip each cherry into chocolate. Set on waxed paper. Refrigerate until hardened. Store in a covered container and refrigerate for 2 weeks before serving. Makes 5 dozen.
I’m not sure, but how bad can butter, sugar, fruit and chocolate be for you, right??!!